Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JavaGuy

SuSE or Redhat?

Man, I hope I don't get flamed for this crap, but I really would like to know: What's the difference between RedHat and SuSE? I have SuSE currently, but I was thinking about installing the other on my computer I'll be getting. What's better or worse about one or the other? What features does one have that might help with media stuff (like watching videos or hearing clips on the web), as well as gaming and or programming. The last isn't really what I'm worried about, as pretty much operating systems are the same to Java.

I'd have asked this in the Technical section, but that's for Doom shiznit only, so I was hoping I could post it here without too much embarrasment(to tired to spell that correctly).

I'd think that was a good idea but I don't know how many people actually use Linux on here, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Really, I looked for a Linux forum but I'm horrible at looking for things on the net.

JavaGuy said:

I'd think that was a good idea but I don't know how many people actually use Linux on here, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Really, I looked for a Linux forum but I'm horrible at looking for things on the net.

Maybe this can help you. :)

JavaGuy said:

I dunno. It seems a day doesn't go by where I hear someone say "Yeah! I run Linux on my athalon that I overclocked and I use a DVORAK keyboard! I'm so better than you!!"

RailGunner said:

solaris 8 is better than linux imo. i also find it ease to use the CDE (common desktop environment) it has.

CDE is HORRIBLE. If you really like the feel so much use Xfce which is similar but doesnt look like a buttugly piece of crap. Solaris is good at scaling to machines with large numbers of processors but thats all I'd ever use it for. The system as a whole is ugly.

the_Danarchist said:

I dunno. It seems a day doesn't go by where I hear someone say "Yeah! I run Linux on my athalon that I overclocked and I use a DVORAK keyboard! I'm so better than you!!"

First of all, people who have Linux but can't actually do anything with it (such as myself) got nothin' on those using Windows. Second, being good at Linux doesn't make one better with computers than a Windows user, it just makes them good with Linux.If you hacked it right you could probably get Windows to differently too. It'd just be illegal if you let anyone else see it.

Currently, I'm using Linux because my internet doesn't work in Windows 98. Something's wrong with one of my dll files, but I don't really know what do to about that, except I might have to replace it.

JavaGuy said:

First of all, people who have Linux but can't actually do anything with it (such as myself) got nothin' on those using Windows. Second, being good at Linux doesn't make one better with computers than a Windows user, it just makes them good with Linux.If you hacked it right you could probably get Windows to differently too. It'd just be illegal if you let anyone else see it.

My point exactly. People shouldn't think they're better than me because I use Windows. If I switched to Linux, I'd probably end up killing my hard drive or something. Despite knowing a lot about computers, I tend to kill them a lot.