Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Actually, I'd prefer that we have custom textures. As long as they fit id style, probably derived from something made by id, such as cut Doom textures, they should fit in fine.

I feel that the project would benefit immensely with a set of additional textures, including some useful cut Doom 1 textures. The stock Doom 2 set does not lend itself well to Doom 64's aesthetic. It's far too, well, "hell on earth" for lack of a better way of putting it.

See the shot of MAP02's opening, no stock flats worked on that bright floor in my judgement. They either looked too barren or they didn't align well.

By the way, Mechadon, what is your opinion of the TITLEPIC, M_DOOM and BOSSBACK that I posted? I already posted them earlier, but I regret linking to the imgur album instead of showing them in the thread directly, so here:

Blastfrog said:

what is your opinion of the TITLEPIC, M_DOOM and BOSSBACK that I posted? I already posted them earlier

Now that is pretty cool. Can these be used for other stuff (obv still Doom 64 related)? That M_DOOM may come in handy.

Nevander said:

Can these be used for other stuff (obv still Doom 64 related)?

As long as I'm credited, sure, anyone can use it for whatever they want.

Anyhow, a bit of progress. I decided to brighten the room a notch, add a bit of detail, and make the room a bit shorter so that it feels more in line with Doom 64's scale.

I took these screens in Eternity with DM2PAL.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Mechadon said:

If you can keep the maps using vanilla textures only, that would be preferable.

Fair enough:

I think the first room may have come out more thematically appropriate as a result anyway.

Anyway, Staging Area just needs one more hallway and two rooms re-furnished and I'll call it ready for testing. Stay tuned.

EDIT: download (custom midi will come later)

I know this is nitpicking, but it seems strange to me that rooms with open ceiling are very bright when the sky is quite dark. Looks strange, like where's that light coming from?? Haha!

@Fisk: Just played your Staging Area revamp. Excellent work, it looks great! I like the added detailing flourishes you did, it really adds a lot of ambience to the map. Also sorry about the custom texture mix up, I really should have made a note about them in the build's readme.

@MinerOfWorlds: Glad to hear you got your bug fixed! I've updated your map link in the OP.

Blastfrog said:

Actually, I'd prefer that we have custom textures. As long as they fit id style, probably derived from something made by id, such as cut Doom textures, they should fit in fine.

By the way, Mechadon, what is your opinion of the TITLEPIC, M_DOOM and BOSSBACK that I posted? I already posted them earlier, but I regret linking to the imgur album instead of showing them in the thread directly, so here:

I've replied to the PM you sent me already, so I'm just replying again here for everyone else.

In short, the project is really too far along to allow loads of custom textures. I want to preserve some consistency as well as keep the constraint goals intact. Keeping the project vanilla textures only also keeps things simple, which is important at this point because of how much of the project is done (and because how long it has been in development hell).

If I had started this project, I likely would have allowed vanilla-derived custom textures (keep the Doom II feeling but allow some flexibility). But that's not how things worked out, so I think its going to be in the best interest for the project at this point if we stay with stock textures only.

Again, as I said earlier, I'm open to exceptions. Just let me know what your looking to add and we'll discuss it :)

Regarding your graphic replacements, I have added them to the working build. Thanks for taking the time to make them! The BOSSBACK graphic is the main one that I would like to see recreated (I was kind of hoping to stay away from using Doom 64 art assets). But I don't know if we'll be able to get someone to do that. So we'll use it for now.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

so i made a new track for this project. feel free to let me know if it's any good and if anyone wants to use it for their map.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brc8mw92eh5s014/Sanity%20Slip.mid?dl=0

(also Mechadon, you didn't post the other track in the OP that i PM'd you?)

This is awesome, nice job! I'll be adding it to the OP.

Do you mean Crystal Peaks? Or did I forget one?

*edit*

The OP has been updated with links to new/updated maps and new music.

Hey! I decided to give you guys a MIDI I've had for seven years. I wrote this for a WAD I was working on back then but to be honest, I don't think I'll be finishing it any time soon, so this little thing is getting lost there.

Someone mentioned previously he expected music that sounded like classic Doom. I think this one fits that category as it follows the blues chord progression, which Bobby Prince used all over the place when making Doom music. It's a fast metal piece that should fit an action-oriented map.

I was using it for the first map of my WAD and maybe it would fit there, or maybe one of the "fun" maps, like Playground or Hardcore.

It's on the folder I shared earlier, here's the link once again: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5Vpm2y5MZh6RF9mLTBOUEJLajQ?usp=sharing The song is called Gunfire!.mid

I noticed Mechadon is naming the music in the OP, so I'll give appropriate names for my songs. Aug is actually called Sanity Decay (Aug, the working title, is short for E Augmented, which was the scale I used for that song) and GCoolThing is called On the Edge. Again, the working title was GCoolThing because the main note is G (although it's in C minor, except for some of the solo) and it sounded cool to me.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

@Mechadon, i meant the ZephyrZone track. or did you find it unsuitable for the project?

Oh whoops, I misunderstood. I thought that was something you were saving for another project (and was just showing it to me as an example). So I'll go ahead and get that one linked in the OP too. Sorry about that!

CoTeCiO said:

Hey! I decided to give you guys a MIDI I've had for seven years. I wrote this for a WAD I was working on back then but to be honest, I don't think I'll be finishing it any time soon, so this little thing is getting lost there.

I noticed Mechadon is naming the music in the OP, so I'll give appropriate names for my songs. Aug is actually called Sanity Decay (Aug, the working title, is short for E Augmented, which was the scale I used for that song) and GCoolThing is called On the Edge. Again, the working title was GCoolThing because the main note is G (although it's in C minor, except for some of the solo) and it sounded cool to me.

Nice track! Yea it seems like it would fit well in one of the arena maps (maybe Even Simpler too). I'll toss it in the current build and see which map it fits the best. Thank you!

Also thanks for giving me proper names for those tracks. I'll update the names in the links, but will probably keep the file names the same (so I don't have to reupload them).

no worries there. hmm, come to think of it, i might have some more ambient Doom junk lying around that i could donate to this project. most of it probably just sits around being completely unused, anyway. i'll take a look into it tomorrow, if it is desired.

edit: wait, my MIDI Sanity Slip in the OP seems to be broken. it's 50+ kilobytes larger than what i posted here, and Media Player Classic cannot play it back.

@Mechadon. Did you recieve my old PM with new tracks? I just didn't get any answers so I still wonder is those are so bad or they are not fit or what.

Hey sorry DeXiaZ.  I have been really busy lately and it has been hard to keep my focus on projects.  When I get a chance, I'll get your tracks posted to the OP.

*edit*

Unfortunately it seems the forum software update has totally borked the maplist in the OP.  I'll try to get that fixed soon.

*edit2*

And a few hours later, I check and see that the maplist is back to normal!  Thanks Ling :D

Edited by Mechadon

Got a small update for you guys.

Obsidian has finished up the first draft on the Dehacked work (all that remains is the new Motherdemon boss, which will come later).  I will fill you guys in on all of the changes after I've had a chance to do some quick tests.  But this means that a new build and a resource wad will be coming very soon (likely this weekend).

If you want to get a map update into this next build, try to get it to me in the next day or so.  Build updates will probably be coming more regularly now that the Dehacked is done though, so don't stress too much if you aren't able to get it into this next build.

Oh and I will try and get the map list and music stuff updated in the OP this weekend as well :)

Hey this isn't really related to the project but I was wondering who made the INTERPIC for this project of the Doom 64 logo thing but the aspect ratio correction was accounted for and it ends up looking normal? Or how it was made? Reason I ask is because I'd love to have the truecolor version of it for my own TC so it doesn't get stretched.

I believe that was Da Werecat, but my memory might be a bit fuzzy since that information was from the old project thread.

Not much.  I've got to make some time to do a quick test run with the new Dehacked patch, and then it'll pretty much be ready to go.  Hopefully by the end of the day Sunday it'll be ready.

Error in the OP, map 18 is listed as 15.

Also, im making an unofficial add-on for this project atm. Cant map, but I can make a side-thing!

Screenshot 2017-03-19 21.32.45.png

On 3/18/2017 at 2:20 AM, Nevander said:

who made the INTERPIC for this project of the Doom 64 logo thing but the aspect ratio correction was accounted for and it ends up looking normal?

I did! I converted the stretched image to 320x240, then shrank it to 320x200 in Photoshop using Lancoz filtering, I think. If you want, I can make the same thing with the truecolor version of the image.

2 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

I did! I converted the stretched image to 320x240, then shrank it to 320x200 in Photoshop using Lancoz filtering, I think. If you want, I can make the same thing with the truecolor version of the image.

Yeah! That would be much appreciated! I'd do it myself except I kinda figured something like Photoshop would be used to do it and not distort or ruin the pixels and I don't have Photoshop.

New updates incoming, oh boy!

First thing is first; it's a little bit later than I had hoped, but here's the new build and a resource wad for you guys to play around with!

D64D2 Build V2 (Changelog)

Resource wad V1

Hopefully all of the maps are up-to-date.  The past couple of weeks have been busy for me, but I made a point to update the maps in the build whenever new ones came in.  I logged all of the changes in the changelog file (which is included in the .zip), so read through that to see what's new.  And remember to test this in chocorenderlimits if you can!

The big addition in the build is the Dehacked patch that Obsidian did, and I promised that I would explain the changes and additions that are a part of it.  So here's a quick breakdown:

• All of the map names are in.  The "MAP##" bits had to be removed so some of them would fit.
  • The Pistol and Chaingun are slightly faster.
  • Rockets fly a tiny bit faster.
  • Cyberdemons call the KeenDeath codepointer at the end of their death animation.  So this means that any door tagged with 666 will open once all Cyberdemons are killed in a map (this is used in MAP11, MAP20, and MAP27 and it should also be used in MAP29).
  • Lost Souls have been tweaked so they act a bit more like their Doom 64 counterparts.  They have lower health but they are more aggressive.
  • The Nightmare Imp has been added (it replaces the Commander Keen monster).  This is a fuzzy Imp which fires Cacodemon projectiles.  You can check these guys out in MAP03.
  • The Nightmare Cacodemon has been added (it replaces the Bloody Mess 2 object).  Obsidian thought it would be interesting to add this since there was room for it (and its comes from the old Doom 64 TC).  This is a fuzzy Cacodemon which has more health and moves a bit faster, and it also fires a volley of 3 Cacodemon projectiles.  This guy should probably be used sparingly (it could be a nice COOP monster).

So the idea behind these changes are to start with the maximum number of tweaks that's been discussed so far, and then scale back anything that's deemed to be unwanted.  So give this build and spin and see what you think about the changes.

By the way, the Motherdemon hasn't been implemented yet.  We're gonna tackle that a bit later once we have some good ideas on how to implement it.  I'll also be making some obituary messages for the new monsters in the future (probably once everything is more concrete).

In other news, you may notice that the maplist in the OP is a bit buggered.  Unfortunately the new forum's WYSIWYG text editor is a bit of a pain, and I wasn't able to edit the old map list in a way that would let me preserve the links to the maps.  Hopefully we'll get an option to bypass the WYSIWYG editor in the future.  In the mean time, all of the maps can be downloaded from HERE.

The following maps have been updated (these are in the build too):

Anyways, I think that's about it.  Let me know if you guys run into any problems and I'll try to get them fixed as soon as possible :)

18 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Just to avoid confusion, are you guys talking about this graphic or a different one?  I just looked over the old thread and that one was done by Da Werecat, and I think that's the one I'm using in the current build.  If not, please let me know so I can get the credits right!

On 3/19/2017 at 4:38 AM, Devalaous said:

Error in the OP, map 18 is listed as 15.

Also, im making an unofficial add-on for this project atm. Cant map, but I can make a side-thing!

Fixed, thank you!  Also I'm interested in what the add-on project is going to be :)

its a wad that plays Doom 64 music for non-vanilla ports. I already have it finished and configured for this project actually (just don't change the map order xD)

I know there'll be all new music, but some people might be interested in playing through it with the original music. Was already done making a wad for something else with those files, so I figured "fuck it" xD

4 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Just to avoid confusion, are you guys talking about this graphic or a different one?  I just looked over the old thread and that one was done by Da Werecat, and I think that's the one I'm using in the current build.  If not, please let me know so I can get the credits right!

That's the base graphic I used to do the aspect ratio-corrected one. If you use the graphic you linked in the mod, the symbol would look too tall, not perfectly round. What I did was adapting it so it would look perfectly round in 320x200. I don't think I actually uploaded the graphic itself to the old thread, I just added it to the build I did and mentioned doing it in the post. I'm uploading it now as a reference, in case you need it.

I'm uploading the truecolor version of the image for Nevander as well!

EVIL_ARC.png

INTERPIC.png

As an opinion from just a player, I think editing the monsters to fit their Doom 64 behavior deviates a little from the initial purpose of this mod. While I think it's cool to add the Nightmare Imp, editing the weapons (I don't think the chaingun is faster on Doom 64, I feel it has the same speed as vanilla. I would need lines of code stating the speed difference to convince me otherwise) and already existing monsters is too much of trying to emulate Doom 64 instead of reimagining it as a classic Doom mod. Leave that kind of modifications to Nevander's project, I feel they would fit more in that one. I would personally leave the weapons and monsters the way they are and revolve map design to compensate for differences instead, even by using monsters that did not appear in Doom 64. Just my two cents.

Edited by CoTeCiO : Added opinion on monsters' modifications

Thanks, and it looks good but I noticed something weird...

Not sure what is doing it but at first glance it looked too dark and so I was about to post the original but then noticed that even the original looked too dark once it appeared uploaded here in the reply... so I downloaded the PNG right from your post and both of them look normal when downloaded. However in the view here on the page, they are darker somehow. I suspect Firefox is altering the colors and brightness because opening the attachment in a new tab (only the image) it appears dark as well.

I recall I made a title/interpic out of the original game's cover art. The same penta-artifact, but with the game's logo as well. Worked pretty well with the palette.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Thanks, and it looks good but I noticed something weird...

Not sure what is doing it but at first glance it looked too dark and so I was about to post the original but then noticed that even the original looked too dark once it appeared uploaded here in the reply... so I downloaded the PNG right from your post and both of them look normal when downloaded. However in the view here on the page, they are darker somehow. I suspect Firefox is altering the colors and brightness because opening the attachment in a new tab (only the image) it appears dark as well.

That's strange! Check the settings and see if it's doing any kind of "picture enhancement" or something like that. Well, as long as it looks good in-game, we're ok, I guess!

Thanks for clearing that up CoTeCiO.  Actually I can't remember now if I used the graphic from your build or if I used Da Werecat's version.  In any case, I'll be sure to use your version and credit both you and Da Werecat :)

Anyone else have thoughts on the latest build and the Dehacked changes?