Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Hey guys, just wanted to bump this and say that this is definitely not dead.  I'm sorta stuck on waiting for things from other people, so there's not much else I can do at the moment to move the project along.  Cage is still working on the Motherdemon and I'm pretty sure it'll be worth the wait once he's done.

There are other things I'm waiting on as well.  And just as a heads-up, once I get the Motherdemon sprites from Cage, I will be setting a final deadline for all contributions to the project.  If it doesn't get done by that deadline, it won't make it in and I'll make any necessary additions/fixes myself.  Now obviously I don't know when this deadline will be.  So if your working on something, I need you to try your best to get it done as soon as possible.  I will be sure to send out PMs and post a heads-up here when Cage is done so you'll have time to wrap things up.

I believe these are the things I'm waiting on from people:

@_bruce_ I need your MAP24 super-secret update in before I release the final test build. Done!

@Da Werecat Are you still looking into updating MAP14?  I need either a fixed version or a full bug list so I can get the last test build out. Got it!

@DILDOMASTER666 I need fixed music tracks for MAP14 and MAP32 (these aren't necessary for the last test build). Sorted.

I think that's everything.  If I'm missing something, let me know.  In the meantime, if anyone has ran into any new bugs in the latest test build, please report them so they'll be fixed for this last test build.  If you have a map that you want to tweak/update, now is the time to do it.

Sorry again for the delay!

Edited by Mechadon

Looking forward to it! Gonna be testing this out soon but it's already looking pretty sweet, excellent work picking up the reins and seeing the project through! -clapping noises-

I wonder, will these new sprites be a lot more like the real deal from Doom 64 or will they just be improved versions of the current Motherdemon?

2 hours ago, TDRR said:

I wonder, will these new sprites be a lot more like the real deal from Doom 64 or will they just be improved versions of the current Motherdemon?

The first one.

If you'll check the previous pages in this thread you will see the beta version image of new sprite-set.

Since its a few pages back, here's Cage's post featuring the in-progress Motherdemon: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1840885

He might pop in here at some point and go into more detail on how its being made.  I do know that he made a 3D model first with some basic texturing and then rendered out each frame for the animation.  We used those basic frames to get the actions and animations looking good.  Right now he's painting the details over top of those frames, which is where the bulk of the work comes in.

Sorry for the absence. I don't have a particularly good excuse.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IiCbAWxW91JJ0zflja0_JacyW3fMKdgf

This is a 99% finished version of The Lair. The remaining work is to restore the old DM layout that I demolished because working on two layouts at once would've been insufferable. I'm posting it now because my computer seems to be dying (this is unrelated to my disappearance), and I was worried it won't let me finish the job.

Hopefully, I'll be adding the missing functionality later today.

The Lair smells about done. DM is restored, and a couple of small fixes. Apparently, arachnotrons spawn ahead of time in ZDoom, but I'm bound by a very strict spawn mechanism there. Not sure how to change it without breaking it completely. Might just leave it as it is, since that's more or less how things behaved before my changes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D2ZEzGOBDnpJ1s17oCcIo2ZyOZZ9NZpb

Apparently I made some changes to other maps, because time stamps don't match with the latest versions I actually uploaded.

lab - one line marked as invisible. I thought I'm yet to make that change.

quadrant - additional line to remove the obstacles in the hub. I thought I already submitted it. Maybe I think too much.

Edited by Da Werecat

I tried running the build 8 with Zandronum and got a weird bug: 

Script error, "D64D2_build_v8.wad:GLDEFS" line 9:
Unknown tag: attenuate

As far as I can tell, this is supposed to be vanilla compatible, so I thought I'd point this out.

Thanks EtherBot, I'll take a look at it.  That's some sort of issue with the dynamic light definitions, and its possible that Zandronum may not be compatible with it.  Everything seems to run properly the last time I ran it in GZDoom.  But I'll do a bit of digging soon and see what's going on.

BTW, ZDaemon sky tiling problem - was it fixed while I was away? I think it's a matter of simply not forcing it to tile in MAPINFO, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'd like to take a look at the current resource pack sometime.

Yup, those should all be fixed now with in the normal MAPINFO lump (everything else should make use of ZMAPINFO/EMAPINFO).  I don't have a separate resource wad to send you since I haven't bothered updating it, but I'll be sending you the private test build once the time comes.

Speaking of which, I'm just waiting on @_bruce_'s map update.  Once I get that, the last test build will be ready for release.

I have some more news for you guys regarding the final test build and the eventual release.

@_bruce_ has had some bud luck lately and I'm not sure he is going to be able to finish off his big easter egg addition to The Breakdown.  I'm hoping he will be able to send me the unfinished map so I can at least get the N64 bit in.  But I'm not sure that's going to happen.

So it looks like I may be doing the final updates to The Breakdown in order to get this final testing build done.  I'm thinking about trying to replicate part of _bruce_'s easter egg.  But I'm not sure how easy it will be to make a N64 in-game; it'll require me to make some custom textures.  Also I'm pretty sure he already had this part of the easter egg done, however I do not have access to it (I use to have a screenshot of it but I can't find it at the moment).  If anyone here happens to have either that screenshot or the easter egg in map form, please send it my way.

@Cage is also very close to finishing up the Motherdemon.  He's going to try and get it done by the end of the month, so that's pretty exciting!  Things will move very quickly once that is done.

Sorry for the double-post!  I just wanted to let everyone know that I've sent out the last test build to the people who were interested in helping out.  I'm looking for a few more people to test too; you have to be willing and ready to actually test it out for me.  If your not sure or if you don't have the time, just wait until the final release.

If your interested, just let me know!

Woohoo triple post.

C7DY6DLl.png

I just made this alternate marble statusbar that doesn't have the fleshy bits in the ammo counter area.  What do you guys think?  Should this be the one included as the alternate bar in the final release?  Whichever version gets left out will get released as a separate download.

Also I'm still looking for some extra testers ;)

Good catch!  That was probably a left-over from the fleshy stuff if I had to guess.  I'll get that fixed, thank you :)

I quickly inspected every level with Doom Builder 2, and found two possible places with visplane overflow from MAP21 and MAP24. While those in MAP24 don't look like they have problems, since the maximum visplane I got from those areas was 125, the one area from MAP21 shows more than 256 segs, causing HOM effect:

RXuzsTP.png

Also, Linedef 3384 from MAP30 requires a blue skull key to activate, while surrounding textures indicate a red skull key for the switch. I'll try to find out more, while I play more levels with chocorenderlimit.

I really appreciate the limit testing antares031!  Hopefully you won't find any other limit broken instances.  I think _bruce_ was having trouble keeping both of those maps under the limits.  Hopefully I can get them fixed without major changes since he's not available.

Edited by Mechadon

In MAP02, there is a trigger that when pressed is supposed to open the walls for the blue armor and then turn on the lights.  I have tested the trigger several times in GZDoom 3.4 using Strict compatibility (and once in 3.4.1), but I was only able to get the switch to work once.

Thanks for the report AlexMax.  Are you using build v8?  If so, that build has an older version of MAP02 with a different voodoo doll setup.  I tested both the v8 version of the map and the newer version in GZDoom 3.4.1 under Doom (Strict) about 5 times each and they both worked fine for me.  The new voodoo doll setup makes use of an infinitely exploding object instead of a crushed barrel (since I think there is a non-zero chance that the barrel can be gibbed before exploding).  So maybe that's what's happening there?

I'd be happy to send you a link to the latest build if you'd like!

Edited by Mechadon

21 hours ago, Mechadon said:

I'd be happy to send you a link to the latest build if you'd like!

Go for it.  I even tried starting from a clean config and the trick still didn't work.

Bug reports during the playthrough, up to MAP12:

- MAP02: You probably know about this issue, related to barrel-voodoo doll script, but it's possible to activate zombie mode, if your health is too low. I believe that it's the reason you placed health bonus items all over the level.

- MAP04: Once you activated pretty much everything in the exit room, drawseg overflow can be occurred in some places, resulting HOM effect: One from the ground level, and one from the platform.

- MAP08: Drawseg overflow in the three barons platform. But thankfully it doesn't occur the significant HOM effect.

Now that the Motherdemon sprites are done (a MASSIVE thanks to Cage for that by the way), we're on track to finally releasing this thing!  As promised, I'm going to fast-track this to get it finished now that the sprites are done.

So what's left to do?

• Finish up the final bits of testing (I could still use a few more helpers here, please get in touch if your interested).
  • Fix any bugs that pop up.
  • Get the demos for the opening carousel (from CoTeCiO, DeXiaZ, and myself).
  • Get a fixed music track from @DILDOMASTER666 (already picked a backup track for MAP14 if this doesn't pan out).
  • Try to fix the sight sound bug for the Motherdemon in the custom cast call in (G)ZDoom (if anyone has an idea on how to fix this, let me know and I'll send over the wad). This is a limitation that I can't get around unfortunately (from what I've been told).
  • Finish up the readme file (note unfixable bugs, fill in the release date/time taken, etc).
  • Decide which version of the marble statusbar is going to be included with the final release (probably gonna go with the pure marble version).
  • Finalize the Motherdemon's behavior (it may change a bit from the v8 & v9 builds).
  • Pick a release date.

The current w.i.p. readme can be seen HERE.  If you guys would read through it for me and point out any spelling errors or missing bits of info, I would appreciate it.

I've also cleaned up the first post by hiding the old guidelines in a spoiler tag and moving them to the bottom of the page.  The credits and old releases are also spoilered; everything is still there for posterity, but I didn't think it needed to be front-and-center anymore.  I'll also toss up some screenshots sometime soon.

The bugtracker is also still being updated with new bug reports from the last test build.  So if you are a contributor, be sure to check that out.

*edit*

To the testers that are helping out, I'm done with test build v9b and I'll be sending that out to you guys shortly.

Edited by Mechadon

On 6/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, Cage said:

I'm finally done with this sucker

md_final_prev_bg.gif.c0f0ab996f18600503df319b65052278.gif
sorry for the wait

EDIT: I just noticed the preview gif has some ugly unwanted dithering, sorry about that!
EDIT2: Yes, it does have angles :P

That almost looks like a metroid boss