Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Big PROPS regarding the MotherDemon! I downloaded the gif and inspected it, zooming in, and it's very well done... a beautifully crafted mosaic.

Regarding Map21...

the seg overflow is not really "repairable" - it's a trade off to make the architecture, or rather its style, possible. Similar to the save game overflow but less subtle.

I'll, of course, look into the plane overflow... a 140+ count is a bit shocking though.

Once the shadow sectors come into play it's most often game over with the plane count. The map's lighting was way more elaborate but it's just not going to happen in vanilla - even after untold hours of tweaking. This is also the reason why some of the architecture is kinda "off".

Edited by _bruce_

Bug reports during the playthrough, up to MAP16, including secret levels; 31 and 32:

- MAP14: It's possible to get stuck in the beginning, if the player didn't trigger both tag 30 linedefs and activate the skull switch with the same tag, then cross the other action linedef. I'm sending a demo file to Mechadon with this issue: d64d2A14.lmp

- MAP14: Drawseg overflow, once the wall is lowered.

- MAP32: Drawseg overflow (#1) (#2), but I think it will be fine, since the original texture is just plain black.

I very much appreciate the limit testing so far antares031!

All of the issues found from the private test build so far are being logged into the bug tracker.  So far nothing too disastrous has popped up, but testing is still in progress.

*edit*

I'm thinking about including a patch for people playing in advanced ports that bypasses the vanilla voodoo dolls in favor of converting them to Boom-style.  This would be more of a quality-of-life addition since everything has been working for me in all of the ports I've tested with the voodoo dolls (with the exception of the report by AlexMax in MAP02, which I haven't been able to reproduce yet).  But it would mean the current voodoo doll setups could be reverted back to an older method where the player doesn't take as much damage when played in Chocolate/vanilla Doom.

What do you guys think, would that be a welcome addition?

*edit2*

Da Werecat suggested a great idea that the Boom version of the voodoo doll maps just be included in the main wad and then pointed to with the MAPINFO lumps.  So I'll be doing that since there's not really much of a downside as far as I'm aware.

Also to my testers, just a heads-up that I released v9c.  This should fix the issues with ZDaemon so that it can run properly without having to edit the wad.

Edited by Mechadon

Bug reports during the playthrough, from MAP17 to MAP24

- MAP17: Because the level has more than 21 lost souls on UV, those three pain elementals in the southwest won't spawn more lost souls, making them pretty much useless.

- MAP18: Same lost soul limitation issue as above, until you kill some lost souls in the level later.

- MAP20: Two drawseg overflow issues were found from the following area: (#1) (#2)

- MAP22: Another lost soul limitation, affecting those pain elementals.

- MAP24: Sector 639 is missing teleportation destination, so this teleporter won't work for the player.

- MAP24: Some of lava pits are not flagged as pain sectors properly, making the player stuck in the pit like this. (Automap)

Update time!  I'm setting the release date for July 13th.  We'll see if that holds up since testing is still being done, and there are a few maps that need updating.  I'll try my best to hold to that date.  But if things don't work out, it'll get delayed a week at max.

What do you guys think?

5 hours ago, antares031 said:

Bug reports during the playthrough, from MAP17 to MAP24

Thanks for the continued help antares031!  I completely forgot about the Lost Soul limit.  There may be a few other maps that get affected by this.

For MAP17, I'll probably just get rid of those Pain Elementals altogether, or I'll replace them with Lost Souls.

I could see replacing some of the early/later Lost Souls with something else (maybe Imps) so that the Pain Elementals could be more potent during the BK fight.  What do you think @Megalyth?

I'm not sure what approach I'll take with MAP22.  Those early Lost Souls near the starting area (on the staircase) feel sorta iconic to me.  It may just be best to replace the Pain Elementals with Cacos or more Lost Souls in the problem area.  There's another Pain Elemental that has a really weird placement (same as the official map) that I'll likely change as well.

*edit*

Note to the mappers, the bug tracker has been updated.  Right now there are bugs that require updates from @Da Werecat and @Megalyth (as well as myself).

The readme has also been updated.  I just need to make sure all of the credits are correct and that there aren't any major spelling errors.

Edited by Mechadon

Bug reports during the playthrough, from MAP25 to MAP30

- MAP28: Drawseg overflow issues, although I think these were already confirmed: (#1) (#2)

- MAP29: Possible lost soul limitation, if the player haven't killed lost souls from Tag 13 arena in the west.

Thanks again for all your help antares031!  The limit testing is super important and its difficult to try and catch everything.

I've taken care of pretty much everything you've brought up except for the drawseg overflows on MAP20 and MAP28 (they are hard to trigger and will likely be difficult to fix).  I'll be watching the rest of your demos soon and hopefully I won't spot anything else.

Edited by Mechadon

On 6/30/2018 at 8:22 PM, antares031 said:

- MAP14: It's possible to get stuck in the beginning, if the player didn't trigger both tag 30 linedefs and activate the skull switch with the same tag, then cross the other action linedef. I'm sending a demo file to Mechadon with this issue: d64d2A14.lmp

I outsmarted myself once again.

It's tempting to leave just one door. I came up with a few other dependable solutions, but, as of now, none of them are pretty.

As for drawsegs, I don't know if I want to mess with that. Maybe I should do something about MAP04, less sure about MAP14.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
4 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

As for drawsegs, I don't know if I want to mess with that. Maybe I should do something about MAP04, less sure about MAP14.

Check back on this thread a little later, hopefully I'll have solved the problem. I tested carefully to be as certain as I could that the drawsegs overflow wouldn't impact anything visually, but it is clearly a more significant concern than I expected so I'll get on it

Guest DILDOMASTER666

"Fixed". Visuals were compromised slightly, and the drawseg overflow actually didn't go away, but it is now functionally impossible to detect in regular gameplay unless you stand in an extremely specific spot and know exactly what to look for within a 3x4 pixel region of the screen

fisk+deathegg_thelair_versionnumbergoeshere.zip

EDIT: Tagging @Mechadon so he is specifically aware of this post

Edited by DILDOMASTER666

@Mechadon

I'm a bit lacking in computer access at this time, so if you want to go ahead and replace some lost souls instead of waiting for me to sort my living arrangements, feel free.

The teleporting pain elemental in the pentagram room isn't a necessity, considering how many lost souls are already present in the map. The building with the soul sphere and armor in the south-western section of the map is a fetid mire of lost souls, it wouldn't break my heart to see them replaced with something more interesting.

6 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I outsmarted myself once again.

It's tempting to leave just one door. I came up with a few other dependable solutions, but, as of now, none of them are pretty.

Hmm, what about changing the trigger that raises the key back up to 45 (SR Floor Lower to Highest Floor)?  Granted its not the most elegant solution since players might be a bit confused with the key disappearing twice, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the map breaking.  And its an easy fix to boot.

About the drawseg overflows, I would say the one in MAP04 is worth fixing if you can swing it.  The one in MAP08 is pretty much non-existent since its barely over the limit and I don't think you can really even see it.  The one in MAP14 that DILDOMASTER fixed was right on the verge of being acceptable I would say (glad it was fixable though).  There are a few overflows in some of my maps that are really hard to trigger and will probably be more of a headache to fix than they are worth.  It really just depends on how 'bad' it is.

Oh one more thing I just noticed - there's a missing torch in the northern area here.  Just a small consistency error, I think.  It didn't seem to be part of a secret hint or anything, but I may be mistaken.

1 hour ago, DILDOMASTER666 said:

"Fixed". Visuals were compromised slightly, and the drawseg overflow actually didn't go away, but it is now functionally impossible to detect in regular gameplay unless you stand in an extremely specific spot and know exactly what to look for within a 3x4 pixel region of the screen

fisk+deathegg_thelair_versionnumbergoeshere.zip

Got it, thank you very much!  I should mention that I fixed the overflows that popped up in MAP32.  They weren't terrible, especially since they didn't seem to be very visible with the black background.  But I went ahead and got them knocked down so they aren't as bad.

1 hour ago, Megalyth said:

@Mechadon

I'm a bit lacking in computer access at this time, so if you want to go ahead and replace some lost souls instead of waiting for me to sort my living arrangements, feel free. 

The teleporting pain elemental in the pentagram room isn't a necessity, considering how many lost souls are already present in the map. The building with the soul sphere and armor in the south-western section of the map is a fetid mire of lost souls, it wouldn't break my heart to see them replaced with something more interesting.

Sure thing, no problem :).  I'll get everything changed up how you described.

*edit*

@DILDOMASTER666 @Da Werecat

I just realized that the version of the map that DILDOMASTER updated is the older version (before it was updated by Da Werecat).  This was probably my fault, I should have sent the latest version of the map to you before you updated it.  Sorry :/

I sent both of you a PM.

Edited by Mechadon

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vfPt6irV7zJHOwulZtFlkbw0AiwN0EZq

Here's how I did it yesterday. It's a little drastic, though maybe less drastic than removing a door. I thought about simply making the switch repeatable too, but decided to take the long way out, though I'm not sure it was worth it, aesthetically or otherwise.

And sorry for the version mess, I kinda got way too invested in all of this and it got intrusive, I wish I didn't go this way.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Same changes but made to the wad Werecat posted since it seems to be the most "stable" as far as the special effects go

I must admit I'm at a loss for some of the changes that were made before I got a hold of it again, not in a begrudging way, but I assume there were issues with the effects I used that I just wasn't aware of since I've been away from this thread for a while

@Mechadon

DeathEgg&DILDOMASTER666&DaWerecat-TheLair-v9.zip

I wouldn't exactly say "issues". Some of the changes were simply made for convenience while editing. Some things I thought I was improving, I dunno.

BTW, it's possible to fall into the pit the blue key disappears into. This can't be fixed without removing the effect, so I added actions to get back up, but the player will still see a giant HOM, obviously.

I really appreciate the updates guys, especially considering the version conflict mess.  I hope it wasn't too much trouble!

To my private testers, I'm going to be releasing test build v9d soon~ish.  I think we're finally getting to that point where most of the major bugs have been squashed, though a few maps have gotten some mechanic changes that will need some stress testing.

@Da Werecat Let me know if your going to try and fix those drawseg overflows in MAP04.  If so, I'll hold off on this next test build until then.

Yea, its a shame you had to get rid of the view to the exit.  I really liked that as well, but I figured that might be the first thing on the chopping block to get that area under the limits.  Also I think we'd probably be safe to go with the SR route with the older version of the blue key trick if you really wanted to keep it.  But I'm cool with either setup.  Thanks for the update!

I just finished up getting v9d ready for testing, so I'm going to be distributing that shortly.  So if your a tester, check the PM discussion.

Also, the readme has been updated once again.  Just want to make sure as many eyes as possible see it to make sure its good to go.

Edited by Mechadon

4 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Yea, its a shame you had to get rid of the view to the exit.

That too, but I mostly meant the metal things in 14.

Which I decided to restore for the DM layout, by the way. At least they'll exist somewhere. I doubt drawsegs limit is relevant to the DM scene (if anyone's gonna DM on this wad at all, that is).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KLUpzu2ehrFGHr2lys7eSIuXl2lIMuJe

I did it by reverting a few versions back and redoing the simplification, but a belated thought occured to me that I might've undone some other changes I wasn't aware of. Joy.

While I was at it, I decided to put more thought into the "just make it SR" route for the beginning, and used it as an excuse to make things even trippier. I think it all makes sense now. Unless I broke something again.

Oh, and before I forgot again: I think 14 needs a compat_silent_instant_floors. As much as I hate redundant sounds on a level, it's probably worse when an audible clue is missing. I'm also seeing that 10 had this flag removed for some reason?

Alrighty, got it!  I'll probably do a hotfix release of v9d with this version in it to make sure it gets proper testing time.

5 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Oh, and before I forgot again: I think 14 needs a compat_silent_instant_floors. As much as I hate redundant sounds on a level, it's probably worse when an audible clue is missing. I'm also seeing that 10 had this flag removed for some reason?

It's commented out in the normal MAPINFO making me believe it was one of those things that was causing ZDaemon to choke.  And it looks like I forgot to carry it over to the ZMAPINFO from what I can see, so I'll get that fixed.  I'm not sure there's an equivalent for the EMAPINFO, but I'll investigate.

I don't think EMAPINFO needs it, Eternity probably just does things the old-fashioned way to begin with.

Yea your probably right.  There doesn't seem to be any flag for that anyways (from what I can tell).  Anywho I got the ZMAPINFO fixed for both MAP10 and MAP14.  I also did a quick comparison between your latest version of MAP14 and the previous version, and the only difference I could see were the grates in front of the fireplaces in the courtyard.  So I did a quick edit to remove them (I think they were part of DILDOMASTER's drawseg update).  So here's that version:

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/D64D2/maps/DeathEgg&DILDOMASTER666&DaWerecat-TheLair-v12.wad

To the testers, I'm sending along a hotfix for v9d, so check your PMs again!

I don't know what was wrong with The Void's exit before, but I just tried the same trick and it worked perfectly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fTDbxJw6rQVC03wBHI4Nzjh52yTDQVgi

I'm talking about the invisible pillars, not the voodoo doll trickery. Maybe it was a nodebuilder hiccup. I also tried BSP, but it hanged up my editor. ZenNode with vanilla settings was fine.

BTW, I still think making this map so bright was a missed opportunity.

Yea it a ZenNode quirk from what I remember.  It can get really picky with certain self-referencing sectors, but I forget why.  There's a way to make them work more reliably but I can't find the old thread that described the method anymore.  Anywho, thanks for getting it working again :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666
21 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

I didn't really do anything, TBH.

That is the nature of vanilla hack-effects; "I didn't do anything really, it just kind of worked out that way"

Yup sounds about right to me :P

Like I said, I don't really remember.  But it could have something to do with side reference numbers and...yea, something like that.  I always run into issues with ZenNode and self-ref sectors at some point when I try to use them.  I guess its possible that after the map was tweaked, something changed to where that particular self-ref sector would work fine.  I'm just glad its working as intended again.

I know this comes really late into the project, but I found this very bare thing I did when trying to recreate the music for Eye of the Storm. It's just the "choir" stuff from the beginning, but maybe some of the other music guys want to take it and finish it or create something off of it? I'm not good enough with ambient stuff to finish it myself.

I'd hate to see it go to waste, since one of the strongest memories I have from playing Doom 64 many years ago was playing that map for the first time at 3 am on a rainy winter night, shiny CRT, big speakers a bit too loud, hearing that choir and the thunders while the whole building faded in, what a way to set the mood! One of the finest moments of the entire game, in my opinion.

Eye of the Storm.zip

I wish I had an ounce of musical talent to help out.  Thanks for posting it though, if someone wants to take a stab at finishing it off before the release day (13th), I'll happily get it in!

The first post has just been updated with @DeXiaZ's trailer and some screenshots of each map (which I hastily took in Chocolate Doom).  Just getting it ready for the release so there's some nice stuff to look at.

To the testers, the last test build will be releasing sometime later today.

*edit*

Gonna post the readme again, just to make triple-sure everything is good in it.  If you spot something wrong or missing, let me know.

Edited by Mechadon