Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Thanks for all of the kind words guys!  The bug reports and other feedback have been very helpful; I've implemented many of the things you guys recommended.

Version 1.2 is ready for release now, finally.  Sorry for the delay, but I was able to do a lot of extra polishing between this and v1.1.  I'll cover the bigger points, but first here are the download links:

D64D2_v1.2.zip [5.4M] (Changelog)

Readme

Alternate hell statusbar (skin/flesh version) (Preview)

Alternate metal statusbar (by @CoTeCiO & @StalkerZHS) (Preview)

If you're playing in Chocolate Doom (or vanilla), be sure to update your .deh patch!

The changelog should list all of the updates, but here are the highlights:

• The DECORATE has been updated so compatibility should be better with certain mods.
  • The Motherdemon now works properly in DOS Doom.
  • As a result of the Motherdemon fix, she now has slightly more deadly attacks.
  • Almost all of the COOP signs/switches were tweaked so they would be hidden in singleplayer games (unless I forgot one, heh).
  • All of the map bugs that were reported from v1.0 and v1.1 have been fixed.
  • A ton of maps got a little extra polish here and there to make the experience a bit more enjoyable (a result of me spending too much time replaying this over and over).  In particular MAP16, MAP18, MAP32 got some of the bigger tweaks.  For MAP16 I updated the library area so each sub-area stands out from each other a bit more.  MAP18 has been made a little bit easier on the whole by adding a SSG in the starting area.  And for MAP32 I tried making the map look darker and more foreboding to fit with the void theme.

As usual, I'll let this release sit for a few days before I do the /idgames upload.  I really hope this is the last fix release, but we'll see.  Sometimes these things can be never-ending bug fix upon bug fix :P.  So like last time, please report a bug if you find one.  But unless its dire, I'm going to probably just let it slide at this point.

*edit*

This version has had 2 bug-fix releases since this original post.  So you may need to redownload!  Once I get it submitted to /idgames, these bugfix releases will stop.  Sorry about that!

Edited by Mechadon

I get a V_DrawPatch (V_DrawPatchDirect in Vanilla) crash when trying to view the help screen. I'm not sure, but I think it happens because the new skull graphics are wider than the originals and the right horn goes out of boundaries. Vanilla shows the skull in the bottom right corner in the help screen for some reason.

EDIT: Yeah, I replaced the new skulls for the originals and the problem disappeared. It sucks, though, because I really like the new skulls.

Edited by CoTeCiO

The BFG ambush in MAP15: Altar of Pain is broken. The monsters never wake, so they won't teleport in. Happens in both GZDoom, GLBoom+, and Chocolate Doom.

11 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

I get a V_DrawPatch (V_DrawPatchDirect in Vanilla) crash when trying to view the help screen. I'm not sure, but I think it happens because the new skull graphics are wider than the originals and the right horn goes out of boundaries. Vanilla shows the skull in the bottom right corner in the help screen for some reason.

EDIT: Yeah, I replaced the new skulls for the originals and the problem disappeared. It sucks, though, because I really like the new skulls.

You know, all this time I didn't even think to pull up the help screen to check the new graphic that was made for it.  Thankfully this was an easy fix; I just aligned the M_SKULL* graphic more to the left and now it works.  Good find!

25 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

The BFG ambush in MAP15: Altar of Pain is broken. The monsters never wake, so they won't teleport in. Happens in both GZDoom, GLBoom+, and Chocolate Doom.

Argh, dunno how that happened.  Something broke the sound sector (maybe when I was adding a hint to the BK switch).  Anyways got it fixed.

*edit*

Alright, I just uploaded a hotfixed version of v1.2; link should be the same and I logged those two fixes in the same changelog.  I ran through all of the other maps to make sure I didn't break any of the other monster caches.

Edited by Mechadon

I just found another bug in MAP18: Dark Entries. A cacodemon is stuck in Sector 247 behind a Baphomet wall. I'm assuming it was supposed to lower alongside the lost souls, but the sector is tagged 0 instead of 9 like the others.

Sorry about ruining your hotfix, Mechadon, I'll play through the rest of the maps now and try to find any other problems :)

Hahaha, its fine!  The maps that I didn't directly work on are harder for me to find bugs on (and my time is somewhat limited right now so testing is difficult).  I'll take a look at it soon and get another hot-fix out.  If you find more, definitely let me know.

*edit*

Since that bug is pretty minor, I'll just wait until I'm ready to upload to /idgames before releasing the next hotfix.  But if another bug pops up that causes Chocolate or vanilla to crash (like the HELP screen one), then I'll get another build out asap.

Edited by Mechadon

I found some nightmare cacos in MAP32. I don't know if that's supposed to happen, since last I knew, nightmare cacos were coop only.

12 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

I found some nightmare cacos in MAP32. I don't know if that's supposed to happen, since last I knew, nightmare cacos were coop only.

Yea those are intended actually.  There were a couple of Pain Elementals that were mostly useless because of impassible lines.  So while I was tweaking the lighting, I played around with replacing them with Nightmare Cacos.  I thought they fit the map pretty well and they seemed like a fun addition for a secret-only encounter.

I just finished up the rest of the maps (19-30) and found no major problems. There are a few COOP-signs visible here and there, but otherwise everything played perfectly.

1 hour ago, Archvile Hunter said:

I just finished up the rest of the maps (19-30) and found no major problems. There are a few COOP-signs visible here and there, but otherwise everything played perfectly.

Awesome, thanks for the help!  You prompted me to check every map again for COOP sign textures, and that made me realize I forgot about the ones in MAP25 and MAP29.  So I got the one in MAP25 taken care of, though it required me to tweak the whole RK leg of the map (nothing drastic, just juggled some of the triggers around).  For MAP29, I was able to hide the ones that open up at the SSG trap.  There's another one that opens up in the north-west area, but that one is really hard to hide because the trigger that opens the area back up is the 666 action (after you kill the Cybers).  It just makes it difficult to really place the trigger (right near the exit would be the best I suppose).  So I might let that one slide.

I also hid the MAP01 COOP switch a bit better so that it shouldn't be viewable from the other side of the bars.

Edited by Mechadon

1 hour ago, Mechadon said:

There's another one that opens up in the north-west area, but that one is really hard to hide because the trigger that opens the area back up is the 666 action (after you kill the Cybers).

Why is that teleporter there anyway? As far as I can tell there is no way to get trapped in that area, you can just jump down from the platform.

1 hour ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Why is that teleporter there anyway? As far as I can tell there is no way to get trapped in that area, you can just jump down from the platform.

Oh yea, good point.  I think I had some bars close right around that Soulsphere ledge at one point, which would have sealed off the entire area.  They probably got removed because of a VPO or something.  Either that or I thought there was a chance that players could get stuck from jumping down off of that ledge by monsters below...seems unlikely though.  I'll have to double-check everything, but it looks like that tele is redundant.

*edit*

For anyone curious about the above situation, this is what I'm going to do.  I think I have enough of a limit buffer to play around with, so I'm adding some simple doors that close just before the Soulsphere ledge (tag 666).  Once the Cyber's are released, I want players to be forced into the arena.  Without those doors, they can take pot shots at the Cyber while on the ledge and be somewhat safe.  So those doors will close and force any players inside of that area to use the teleporter (of course I can't do anything about players that are on the ledge when they close, they'll have to jump down or use it to their advantage).  That teleporter also closes up just as the player walks towards the exit switch.

Edited by Mechadon

On second thought, maybe it would be a good idea to just get another bug-fixed v1.2 out to you guys as soon as possible.  That way my changes can be tested and I won't have to worry about something broken getting uploaded to /idgames.

Link is the same, but here it is again for reinforcement:

D64D2_v1.2.zip [5.4M] (Changelog)

Readme

To recap:

• Small readme typo was fixed.
  • MAP18 Cacodemon that didn't get released in the southern area has been fixed (doubled checked that 100% kills/secrets is possible).
  • MAP25 has its COOP sign stuff hidden.  This required me to tweak the RK triggers a bit, but it works more or less the same as before.
  • MAP29
    • SSG area COOP stuff was tweaked so that the teleporters are no longer necessary (hiding them was too difficult).  Instead the blocking walls act as lifts from the opposite side so COOP players can get into the chamber.
    • There are now doors just before the Soulsphere ledge to the west.  These close once the Cyberdemons get released, and open up once they are killed.
    • The COOP teleporter in the western area will close up just as the player walks into the sector with the exit switch.

As usual, let me know if you guys spot more problems.

Edited by Mechadon

The plan was to wait maybe 3 or 4 days after v1.2 released, just to make sure everything is as solid as can be.  Bugs that are just bad enough to be addressed keep popping up though.  So that keeps pushing things back just a bit (I'm always paranoid that a fix or change I make will break something somewhere...especially in vanilla).

I'm thinking with this last bug-fix release, I'll probably wait until Friday to see if anyone spots anything.

Has anyone mentioned how good the new music is? Because it's really good. CoTeCiO's upbeat tracks are absolutely fantastic. As a bonus too, I remember CoTeCiO made a WAD of his own called Town Infection and it had some pretty stellar music too. Once I get this running on my Pentium 2 I'm going to need to try to record some of the tracks and put them up on YouTube. It runs a sound card, I think it's some sort of Sound Blaster PCI thingamajig. The MIDI playback is incredibly simplistic (from what I heard it is ran entirely in software with a proprietary soundfont format that can't really be the subject to high quality modifications) but it sounds kinda similar to a Gravis Ultrasound, if that makes sense. Surprisingly good. Maybe I'll use the Yamaha SXG and record that as well.

1 hour ago, AdrenalinCDA said:

Has anyone mentioned how good the new music is? Because it's really good. CoTeCiO's upbeat tracks are absolutely fantastic. As a bonus too, I remember CoTeCiO made a WAD of his own called Town Infection and it had some pretty stellar music too. Once I get this running on my Pentium 2 I'm going to need to try to record some of the tracks and put them up on YouTube. It runs a sound card, I think it's some sort of Sound Blaster PCI thingamajig. The MIDI playback is incredibly simplistic (from what I heard it is ran entirely in software with a proprietary soundfont format that can't really be the subject to high quality modifications) but it sounds kinda similar to a Gravis Ultrasound, if that makes sense. Surprisingly good. Maybe I'll use the Yamaha SXG and record that as well.

Holy crap! Thanks a lot!! It's cool that you liked the tracks!

When people remember Town Infection it's usually because of that song you linked and the map where it appeared. I guess that was my masterpiece haha!

Maybe you're talking about a Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects? I have one of those and has a system similar to soundfonts. Sounds like an AWE32 and a Gravis.

2 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

Holy crap! Thanks a lot!! It's cool that you liked the tracks!

When people remember Town Infection it's usually because of that song you linked and the map where it appeared. I guess that was my masterpiece haha!

Maybe you're talking about a Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects? I have one of those and has a system similar to soundfonts. Sounds like an AWE32 and a Gravis.

I don't think it is in any way similar to WavEffects. I guess I'll go ahead and do some recording tomorrow.

3 hours ago, AdrenalinCDA said:

Has anyone mentioned how good the new music is?

It's really something. The track used on the final version of The Lair is truly great. Something about it just strikes a certain chord within me, and it's of course really well-written. The other tracks, especially the moodier ones like on Breakdown and Eye of the Storm, also work very well for this mod.

my only qualm with the music is that i personally didn't have the creative output to contribute more to the project. though thankfully, Fisk and CoTeCiO did a phenomenal job scoring this project, and helped give this project a really strong sense of identity. Bobby's tracks are also utilized really well here, as their ambient nature really fits the project.

8 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

Would this work well with Smooth Doom?

Did for me, and I played the lot.

19 hours ago, AdrenalinCDA said:

Once I get this running on my Pentium 2 I'm going to need to try to record some of the tracks and put them up on YouTube. It runs a sound card, I think it's some sort of Sound Blaster PCI thingamajig. The MIDI playback is incredibly simplistic (from what I heard it is ran entirely in software with a proprietary soundfont format that can't really be the subject to high quality modifications) but it sounds kinda similar to a Gravis Ultrasound, if that makes sense.

You didn't ask, but I am still delivering. The sound card is called "Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V." It isn't an actual card, it's actually some chipset on the mobo but still. Enjoy what MIDI sounded like back in the mid to late 90s by default if it wasn't OPL!

https://my.mixtape.moe/vlefav.mp3

EDIT: I forgot to mention too, there's a slight hiss in the MP3. It's either because the hissing is coming from the headphone jack or the AUX cord.

7 hours ago, AdrenalinCDA said:

You didn't ask, but I am still delivering. The sound card is called "Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V." It isn't an actual card, it's actually some chipset on the mobo but still. Enjoy what MIDI sounded like back in the mid to late 90s by default if it wasn't OPL!

https://my.mixtape.moe/vlefav.mp3

EDIT: I forgot to mention too, there's a slight hiss in the MP3. It's either because the hissing is coming from the headphone jack or the AUX cord.

Interesting! First time I hear of it. Sounds quite interesting, it's sounds very 90's but unlike the other synths I've heard, although the guitars fade way too quickly. I really like how the snare sounds!

Ok guys, I just uploaded this to /incoming.  So we'll consider that last release the final version!  Hopefully everything goes ok and it gets added to the archive soon.  I'll post the link to it once it goes live.

Didn't read this whole topic, maybe this bug is already known.

Anyway, I did a playthrough the other night and on map 32 where you flip the triple key switch to lower the bars to the invisible stair exit, well I was a bit on edge playing without saves so I found that if you move semi slowly off the top of the staircase you fall into an inescapable void pit instead of soaring into the exit.

My bad not mentioning it before you submitted to incoming, didn't realize it wasn't final already. Had a lot of fun playing through the WAD, thanks for making it!

Quickly cheated my way over to provide a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/S1YOnr8.png

Thanks for the report MegaBlast!  Thankfully I thought about the possibility of a line skip there a long time ago and added a sector exit action in the "void".  So if you skip it accidentally, like you did, you'll fall into the void and do a death exit.

*edit*

Oh wait I misunderstood, you must have skipped a different line so that the floor wouldn't raise up properly.  Yea in that case its probably just something that is going to happen on occasion.  If this wasn't already final I would take a look at some sort of countermeasure, but its probably not bad enough to justify re-uploading to /incoming.  Unless I'm mistaken and this is easy to do accidentally (I haven't had it happen to me in my tests).

*edit2*

Ok so nevermind about that, something is indeed broken.  For some reason that sector isn't raising up like it should (I think Da Werecat was the last one to mess with it, can't remember).  Welp I'll see what I can do about getting it fixed and re-uploaded to /incoming :P

Edited by Mechadon