Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Yea I understand what you meant now.  I had to do a bit of digging after seeing your screenshot because I thought maybe you accidentally did a line-skip.  But the trigger to raise that sector is behind the 3-key switch, not a walk-over.  What actually happened here is the last step was disconnected from its reference sector off-map somehow (maybe when the self-referencing fix was put in).  It was easy to miss because usually I would just run towards the exit and cross the exit trigger from the jump instead of slowly walking up to it.

Anyways, fix is up now, same link as before - http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/D64D2/releases/D64D2_v1.2.zip

And I've got you mentioned in the readme for the bug report too :)

It shouldn't be too much trouble getting a fixed zip uploaded into /incoming, hopefully.

Edited by Mechadon

Happy to help, thanks for the mention.

One more quick but important thing, don't think your link updated correctly as the WAD modified date still shows July 30th and the platform doesn't raise after the switches. (Or maybe the old version is cached for me or something silly)

Whoops sorry, that's the wrong file.  I had renamed the zip to remove the version stuff for the idgames upload.  Got it fixed now, I think!

Yeah looks like I fucked up. Even the visible floor bug wasn't truly gone.

BTW jeez when I said I'd like to see it darker that wasn't exactly what I meant...

Is there a way to get the hidden health bonus in MAP01? I am talking about the one that is weirdly floating in mid-air inside a narrow closet behind a two small computer screens on top of each other.

1 hour ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Is there a way to get the hidden health bonus in MAP01? I am talking about the one that is weirdly floating in mid-air inside a narrow closet behind a two small computer screens on top of each other.

No, that's a miniature "Soulsphere".  If your familiar with the same area in Doom 64 then it might make more sense.  I added it sorta as a little easter egg :P

I guess, but as a completionist, I find it a bit annoying to be unable to get 100% Items without cheating. :(

Oh well, at least, it is not a bug.

7 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Yeah looks like I fucked up. Even the visible floor bug wasn't truly gone.

BTW jeez when I said I'd like to see it darker that wasn't exactly what I meant...

I was able to get the self-ref sector to work, thankfully.  No idea why that particular sector was being a pain.

And about the light changes, I'm pretty happy with them on the whole.  I would have liked to have done more contrasted stuff with casted light/shadows, but the map had too many limit encroaching hot-spots and it was too late in dev to be doing that.  I think it adds a layer of extra creepiness though so, eh I'm good enough with it.

Edited by Mechadon

I guess, but as a completionist, I find it a bit annoying to be unable to get 100% Items without cheating. :(

Oh well, at least, it is not a bug.

Understandble, I didn't really think about item completion with that.  I could have made a tiny soulphere texture specifically for it, but I was trying to do it more simply than that.

I guess just pretend that the 99% (or whatever the final completion says) is 100%.

*edit*

Gah, sorry for the double post.  I couldn't figure out how to get a quote into an edited post on my phone.

In MAP08, in the staircase leading to the Megasphere, there are two impaled corpses, each surrounded by three floating candles. Are the latters supposed to be floating in mid-air?

I think the /idgames link is now up (the beta page seems to be incorrect at the moment).  You can view it HERE on the legacy page.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if the beta download version gets fixed.

To be honest I've not quite fan of Doom 64 textures, nor sprites. But this project made my day, you guys did the mammoth work! 👍
It's like new official game by ID and dive back to 90's.

Since the beta download page hasn't been fixed yet, I just wanted to give people a heads-up about it.  The download link and readme file on this page is incorrect (a few of the other recently added wads seem to be mixed up as well).  For now just use the legacy page or download from the mirror.

I reported the page as incorrect a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure how else I should call attention to it.

In MAP10: Final Outpost, riding up the elevator to the platform puzzle for the Plasma Rifle does not register as a secret. I know it is supposed to, as I watched pagb666's playthrough. I am playing with the final version of the mapset under GZDoom 3.5.0.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

In MAP10: Final Outpost, riding up the elevator to the platform puzzle for the Plasma Rifle does not register as a secret. I know it is supposed to, as I watched pagb666's playthrough. I am playing with the final version of the mapset under GZDoom 3.5.0.

There's no secret sector effect on that platform.  There are only 3 secrets on that map and the Plasma puzzle isn't one of them.

Spoiler

Ihzy4Z8.png

I don't know, but I'm certain its not set to be a secret sector in the latest release.  It could have been set as a secret in a previous version (I don't remember), but you would have to ask pagb666 to see if they are using the latest or not.

Edited by Mechadon : put the image in a spoiler so it doesn't immediatly give away the plasma puzzle solution

Okay, I made it to MAP13: Terror Core and the thunderstorm sky with the occasional lightnings is seriously badass! I know the original Doom 64 level had them too, but somehow, they feel much more impressive there. I guess it does not hurt to have Bobby Prince's 'Sinister' as the level's music either.

If I did not know any better, I would think this is the penultimate level before the climactic showdown.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

In MAP31: Hectic, how do you get all the secrets?

Spoiler

I got the Mega Armour, the Green Armour, the Soulsphere and the secret ending, but I do not know how to get the fifth secret. Looking in Doom Builder, I see that there is a closet with a single Health Bonus that has a secret sector, but I do not know how to get to it.

@JohnnyTheWolf

Spoiler

At the Mega Armor secret area, look to the left just at the entrance.  You'll notice a texture difference there.  Press use on that and it will open up that closest.  There are also two hidden demos for MAP31; DEMO5 is a full UV run that reveals all of the secrets.

Thanks!

I made it to MAP19: Blood Keep, but for some reason, the map is actually called MAP19B. Is there a difference between it and MAP19?

Spoiler

Also, I got the Backpack and the Plasma Rifle and I have apparently found all the items, but I am still missing a secret. Where can I find it?

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

B marks Boom compatible versions, if I am not mistaken. I assume maps marked as such are more detailed and therefore exceed vanilla limits. Actually I am curious how you load the vanilla versions. My guess is they used the B maps in MAPINFO.

there's also some Zdoom-specific additions to a couple of the maps, notably on maps like Terror Core and Eye of the Storm, there's occasional thunderstorms that occurs. there might be the same on Boom, just without the sound and flashing.

These things are unrelated. B maps have Boom voodoo setups instead of vanilla, because they're more reliable across ports. I think ZDaemon had some problems with vanilla voodoo setups.

Lightning strikes are a Hexen effect that doesn't require any scripting or other preparation as far as maps are concerned. This can be applied to any map (vanilla or otherwise) in MAPINFO.