Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

First: Great work !

Now, back to the business :)

Recently when playing this wad in gzdoom 3.6.0 + project brutality 3.0 (imo slighty better than Butal v21) and there is a problem. In levels like lvl11 (Cat and Mouse) or lvl 20, lvl 21 , when You've got to kill Cyberdemon to end (probably)map, there is nothing happened after killing him. Nothing triggered. Everything killed, switched or checked. Must use IDCLEV cheat to pass those levels :( Am I missing something or it's some kind of bug ? 

5 minutes ago, MarcinT said:

First: Great work !

Now, back to the business :)

Recently when playing this wad in gzdoom 3.6.0 + project brutality 3.0 (imo slighty better than Butal v21) and there is a problem. In levels like lvl11 (Cat and Mouse) or lvl 20, lvl 21 , when You've got to kill Cyberdemon to end (probably)map, there is nothing happened after killing him. Nothing triggered. Everything killed, switched or checked. Must use IDCLEV cheat to pass those levels :( Am I missing something or it's some kind of bug ? 

I checked Cat and Mouse on GZ 3.7.0 and it works perfectly fine.  When you kill the Cyberdemon, another room opens up with the exit in it. You should try it without any extra mods before reporting the bug. An easy bugfix is to drop that brutal crap and play the game the way it should be played, there, problem fixed.

Just checked lvl11 with clean gzdoom and yes it worked ! After killing CyberDemon exit door opens and voila ! Now funny thing - with brutal doom (I'm Doom fan since 95, but I think that those "crap" brutal mod is fantastic) those exit doors remain closed after killing cyberdemon. And as I said before, all those maps, where You must kill cyberdemon (or probably other monster) to proceed seems bugged. Seems like triger placed on monster doesn't work in some mods. It will be nice if You check what's going on.

This mapset requires cyberdemon to have a specific action in his death sequence. Mods like Brutal Doom overwrite any such changes with their own versions of monsters. Not sure what could be done here.

This is unrelated, but I once watched a stream of someone playing my old map with Brutal Doom, and the final cyberdemon just died without any help from the player. I can't be certain, but I suspect the poor fellow was telefragged by a candle. Unfortunately, there's always a risk of things breaking when combining unrelated maps and mods in Doom.

Thanks guys for replay. Well thankfully there are idclip or idclev when scripts don't work. Anyway, must admited, that those N64 levels are much more advanced than I've axcepted

Thanks for checking out the mapset MarcinT!  Mod compatibility is an iffy subject considering the nature of the project.  But I did some testing with a few of them (including Brutal Doom) and everything seemed to work for the most part.  The MAP11 issue can be worked around depending on the order you load the wads; I think D64D2.wad needs to be loaded last in order for it to work.  Either way, I just checked it out and it worked ok for me.  So you'll want to fiddle around with the load order to get everything to work properly.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:27 AM, DoomCATO said:

I have a though: BD v21 is coming out soon along with Extermination Day starter pack. So what if or itf your have any plans of recreating a vanilla version of the

starter pack or anything like that the same way you for Doom 2.

This wouldn't be something I'd be interested in doing personally, but maybe someone else out there would.

They barely sound similar, just the tune which in cases like this are so archetypic and common many people jump into similar pattern range. Also that band track feels a bit more flat than original tune.

I didn't say that @CoTeCiO did it bad or something.

20 hours ago, FearTheReaper said:

They barely sound similar, just the tune which in cases like this are so archetypic and common many people jump into similar pattern range. Also that band track feels a bit more flat than original tune.

Yeah, that's so archetypic, so I never heard such riffs and drum sequences before (of course I didn't heard every rock/metal song existing in the world, but it doesn't work this way).

But I could agree that band track feels a bit more flat than original tune.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:00 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

What the...?!

That's hilarious, are you a member of this band? xD

Oh my... No! I'm not and I never heard of them before! I can't deny they sound alike, yes, but the chord sequence is pretty simple and sounds good, and that kind of drum pattern works with it, so it's not that surprising someone else used it.

The song I provided is a modified MIDI of a song I wrote for my band to learn their parts. We even got to record it... over three years ago!

On 3/30/2019 at 4:35 AM, FearTheReaper said:

Exactly. I appreciate the comment, Oceans might sound flatter because of the mixing and production of the song. It sounds very compressed, to be honest. Modern metal bands, they all sound the same, like using the same guitar amps and drums, for some reason.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:17 PM, Nevander said:

I think @CoTeCiO's sounds way better anyway.

Thank's a lot, man. I really appreciate the support!

And on a side note, in case you're wondering about my version of the song, I just uploaded the most recent mix of the song to my SoundCloud, and the earlier mix I did when we recorded it in 2015 is available there as well, it might be useful as evidence if I get in trouble later on haha :D

The track is here:

Hey guys, sorry for the bump.  It has come to my attention that I'm am a giant doofus because I screwed up the EMAPINFO lump for MAP21.  So if you play this in Eternity and you keep looping back to MAP21...well, that's why.

So what would be the best way for me to go about dealing with this?  Should I do a fixed release?  If so, are there any other bugs that need fixing?

I'd consider most of what I wrote in that giant post as worth addressing, but that's just me, and in this community you don't fix anything post-release unless it blows up the player's house, because demos.

As much as I'd like to go back and tweak a few things too, I'm really hesitant to do that so long after the final release.  Mostly because I don't want to break anything in that process (it was a nightmare testing and fixing things across multiple ports), but also because I have other things I want to be working on.  Breaking demos is kinda lame, but I'm willing to do that if there's a significant bug that kills the fun of the map set.

So I think it would be best to just address game-breaking bugs at this point.

21 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Hey guys, sorry for the bump.  It has come to my attention that I'm am a giant doofus because I screwed up the EMAPINFO lump for MAP21.  So if you play this in Eternity and you keep looping back to MAP21...well, that's why.

So what would be the best way for me to go about dealing with this?  Should I do a fixed release?  If so, are there any other bugs that need fixing

Not sure about this, but would it be possible to release an 'emapinfo' lump separately in this thread for eternity players, with a text file describing how to replace said file in their copy of the wad?  That way the original wad will not be affected

Replacing EMAPINFO and updating the wad shouldn't be much of a problem. Even demos wouldn't really be a part of the equation in this case.

Plus, this bug is kinda important.

I'd say fix what's broken and leave the rest. What's supposed to be finished should stay like that. We saw what happened in Sigil when suddenly entire maps played differently after an update... x)

That's the plan, I'm not going to delve into any other changes that aren't bugfixes.  Even then, it'll probably be relegated to egregious bugs.  The EMAPINFO thing is pretty bad I'd say, so that's going to get addressed.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to address any other similar bugs that we may have missed.  So I'll let this simmer for a week or so and see if anyone brings anything up.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, dt_ said:

Not sure about this, but would it be possible to release an 'emapinfo' lump separately in this thread for eternity players, with a text file describing how to replace said file in their copy of the wad?  That way the original wad will not be affected

Yea I think that's a possibility.  But I would feel better if the fix was baked into the main wad I think.  It shouldn't be too much trouble updating the /idgames link and this sort of fix doesn't affect stuff like demos.

17 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

and this sort of fix doesn't affect stuff like demos.

It DOES affect multiplayer coop, not to say that I think you shouldn't fix this but it's a reason I wish singleplayer mappers would version their wads.

Do you mean including the version in the wad name?  It's in the readme, but I guess no one bothers to read that.

Otherwise if you're talking about the EMAPINFO lump, I'm not sure how changing that affects coop games.

Multiplayer servers host using a local copy of the WAD. If the version used by a joiner does not match with the WAD on the server, the joiner will not be able to connect due to failing an integrity check(MD5 mismatch). Since co-op players (and most server hosts as well) tend to not check in for updates to WADs which are ostensibly finalized, this causes problems with rogue outdated versions floating around. Ask TGH about coop servers hosting CC4 if you want to annoy him.

WADs tend to be uploaded to WAD dumps\mirrors which rarely if at all have systems to compare to idgames, which is a whole other kettle of fish and not something I am happy about.

Well, it's a game-breaking glitch, so it should be fixed, but I don't think a lot of people are playing the mod on Eternity, otherwise this problem would have been reported a long while ago.

Maybe a way to address that version mismatch problem would be to name this new release differently from the original and add the version number at the end. I used to do that with a wad I did once. It might not be ideal, but it's a good option, I think.

Yea that's probably what I'll do.  The wad is versioned, but only in the readme (which almost no one will bother to read, especially in a multiplayer setting).  That probably won't fix the issue with multiplayer servers not updating the wad like Marcaek mentioned, but I guess it will cut down on confusion elsewhere.

I'm going to be a bit busy this week, so I'll release the fix sometime next week (probably Monday).  Again, if anyone reading this has played the wad and found any bugs, please report them now!

Here's v1.3 with the EMAPINFO fix.  Sorry for the delay, its just a busy time of the year.

Doom 64 for Doom II v1.3 [5.4M] (Changelog)

Readme

I've appended '_v1.3' to the wad and zip filenames.  Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues with the /idgames upload or anywhere else.  If there's a better way I should do it, let me know.  And if I broke anything, yell at me and I'll take care of it.

Speaking of the /idgames upload, I haven't done that yet.  I'm going to make sure this fixed version is good to go, and then I'll go with updating the /idgames link.  To be on the safe side, I'm going to wait until the end of the month.  That should be enough time to see if something else pops up, and I'll have more free time at the start of the new year to work on stuff.

@Mechadon There is a crash on MS-DOS where in map 30 if you pass the linedef that opens up the gates with the enemy spawners in the final arena, some weird garbled sound clip plays before exiting the game. I assume that it's the final boss making the sound but is there any way around this, or do you have to play the final level in chocolate doom? (it works 100% fine there) I'd assume that I just installed the dehacked patch wrong but still

Edited by TheWolfman00001

16 hours ago, TheWolfman00001 said:

@Mechadon There is a crash on MS-DOS where in map 30 if you pass the linedef that opens up the gates with the enemy spawners in the final arena, some weird garbled sound clip plays before exiting the game. I assume that it's the final boss making the sound but is there any way around this, or do you have to play the final level in chocolate doom? (it works 100% fine there) I'd assume that I just installed the dehacked patch wrong but still

according to this ms-dos playthrough level 30 crashes on vanilla =/ , you can use MBF 2.04 snm-10 instead , this particular MBF version also runs sigil as a 5th real chapter =) , and master levels as a single wad

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy

10 hours ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

according to this ms-dos playthrough level 30 crashes on vanilla =/

That was only true of the version I played at the time, which was v1.0. That got fixed for 1.1, but perhaps reintroduced somehow recently?