Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Just now, SiFi270 said:

Nightmare Imps don't seem to make a sound for melee in ports outside the ZDoom family. Is this a limitation of DeHackEd?

They use the Caco attack pointer IIRC, so that is correct - it is a DeHackEd limitation

i'm a bit out of the loop here, but i got to the end of the mapset, and the roll-call at the end mentions that there are Nightmare Cacodemons around that i never encountered. were they scrapped?

overall, i think this turned out really solid, and is a nice blend of classic Doom 2 aesthetics with some additions that makes it feel like a potentially lost IWAD sequel. while there were some points that felt a bit sour (that puzzle with the nukage that everyone has complained about so far, and me personally would've preferred a more ambient soundtrack overall), i think the package as a whole came together nicely, and some of the extra Zdoom additions helped elevate the experience, like the animated skies for instance (at least i assume those were ZDoom additions, looking at the MAPINFO). the final battle was pretty cool and caught me off guard with one of its attacks in particular, too.

i don't have much else to add, i really enjoyed this. :)

2 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i'm a bit out of the loop here, but i got to the end of the mapset, and the roll-call at the end mentions that there are Nightmare Cacodemons around that i never encountered. were they scrapped?

They're coop only

Very much enjoying this mod. The recreations of the maps and especially the special Doom 64 effects are pretty damn neat. I'm currently playing through the final version on my Windows 98 machine to get the true 1997 experience - glad it doesn't bomb out on map03 anymore!

I almost forgot to mention that I'm planning on doing the v1.1 release sometime this Friday or Saturday.  So if anyone spots more bugs, be sure to report them!

8 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Nightmare Imps don't seem to make a sound for melee in ports outside the ZDoom family. Is this a limitation of DeHackEd?

Yea, its because its using the Cacodemon attack codepointer.  Cacodemons don't make a melee attack sound, so that's why the Nightmare Imp doesn't.  I felt like maybe it would be a good idea that this was "fixed" in the decorate, even though it creates a behavior discrepancy.

I should probably make a note of it in the readme though.

*edit*

Whoops, DILDOMASTER already answered that...I didn't notice this was on a new page :P

@Megalyth I just had an idea on how to fix the BK exploit in Dark Entries that doesn't screw with the original design.  I changed the switch that starts the trap to a shootable switch.  It looks like this (with a fast blinking light to draw players towards it).  What do you think, is that an acceptable fix?

Also here is the current changelog so you guys can see what's been fixed and changed so far.  Thanks to @Jimmy for finding a bug with MAP30B where the fight would start way sooner than it should have if you didn't use the keys.

Edited by Mechadon

4 hours ago, Mechadon said:

@Megalyth I just had an idea on how to fix the BK exploit in Dark Entries that doesn't screw with the original design.  I changed the switch that starts the trap to a shootable switch.  It looks like this (with a fast blinking light to draw players towards it).  What do you think, is that an acceptable fix?

I have the feeling that I misspoke about map 18.The issue is from the first room with the two revenants if I don't shoot in this room, after teleported monsters don't come in blue key room.Even if I shoot in blue key room it changes nothing, I can activate all the switchs and I don't meet teleported monsters. In my opinion the shootable switch is a solution but in the 2 revenants room.

10 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I have the feeling that I misspoke about map 18.The issue is from the first room with the two revenants if I don't shoot in this room, after teleported monsters don't come in blue key room.Even if I shoot in blue key room it changes nothing, I can activate all the switchs and I don't meet teleported monsters. In my opinion the shootable switch is a solution but in the 2 revenants room.

No worries, I already addressed this.  I added an extra sound sector that links the BK room with the monster spawners.  And since a weapon fire is necessary to progress, all of the monsters should wake up by that point in the map.

@Mechadon

Looks good from my house :)

Something I always forget to take into account when testing is how other players might approach an area. When I see monsters, I shoot them, which is why little things like this slip by me. Thanks for the fixes.

I just want to remind everyone that the v1.1 release is going to happen sometime Saturday (let's say a little over 24 hours from the time I make this post).  So far we've addressed quite a few bugs and made a bunch of tweaks to help smooth out the more egregious issues.  Everything has been logged in the changelog here, so check that out if your interested.

If there's anything else that needs fixing, or if you have any other suggestions, be sure to post them now.  The v1.1 release is most likely going to be the one I upload to /idgames.  And barring any truly awful bugs, it will likely be the final-final version.

Maybe this is just me, but...

Spoiler

I think the super secret in map24 should have a teleporter leading to the very first area in case players missed the secret there, and then the teleporter back to the rest of the map could have the "coop" sign removed because it'd now have a purpose in singleplayer.

Ok, I haven't gotten any other bug reports, so here's v1.1!

D64D2_v1.1.zip [5.3M] (Changelog)

Readme

Alternate hell statusbar (skin/flesh version) (Preview)

Alternate metal statusbar (by @CoTeCiO & @StalkerZHS) (Preview)

Be sure to update your .deh file if your playing in a port like Chocolate Doom.  Also check the changelog for a list of all the fixes and changes in this version.  Thank you to everyone who reported bugs.  Your help was very much appreciated!

This should be the final version.  However if you find a bug, please don't hesitate to report it.  Depending on how severe it is, I'll try to get a hotfix up as soon as possible.  I'll wait a few days before uploading this to /incoming just to be safe.

Edited by Mechadon

Ooops I am a dumb.  I forgot to make a couple of fixes before uploading v1.1 :/.  If you downloaded this in the past hour, be sure to re-download it (link is the same).  Really sorry about that!

Well, no rest for the weary it seems :P.

I forgot to finish up some decorate for a few of the dehacked objects, and as a result some mods might not work properly.  I also forgot to merge an update to MAP18 because I think these releases are turning my brain to mush.

Should I wait a few days and update the release with those fixes?  Or do you guys want it now?  I was going to wait a bit before uploading it to /idgames anyways, but it might be a good idea for you guys to make sure the decorate isn't breaking anything.

As far as I am concerned, I am only satisfied with the new version when you are. Take your time until everything is the way you want it to be and then we'll have the polished release we all want and deserve. ^^

You can still wait a few days with the upload after you provide the update here, anyway. Some feedback cannot hurt.

I managed to 99% complete v1.0 on my Windows 98 machine, which was fun to do. There proved to be no problems with the mod itself other than the final boss, which for some reason will freeze the game after completing its arch-vile attack. At first I thought it was the computer having issues (as it had some during recording overall), but I consistently reproduced the issue, also while playing the vanilla version on DOSBox. Chocolate Doom, however, does not seem to have this problem.

The below video demonstrates the issue - it should begin playing at the specified behavior

Well its probably a good idea to wait now that this bug has popped up.  I really appreciate you recording it for me Bashe!  Thankfully everything else was working properly in vanilla, but I have no idea what's going on with the Motherdemon there.

I had plans to test this in DOS Doom, but I couldn't get DOSBox to cooperate with DeHackEd.  I may need some help trying to figure this out.  I'll take a look at the dehacked file when I get a chance, but does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, the v1.1 build should be good enough for now.  Aside from this, the decorate, and the missing MAP18 update, it pretty much addresses all of the major things that were brought up.  Hopefully I can figure out what's going on with the Motherdemon in vanilla and get it fixed.

There was also another issue with map24 that I forgot about for a while. The floor shown in these pictures damages the player for some reason.

Screenshot_Doom_20180722_180538.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180722_180543.png

Whacked allows you to remove/blank a frame's code pointer.

I don't think dehacked ever supported this, but would allow you to load a deh patch from whacked with it.

A quick test shows this to crash vanilla doom.

Edit:

I haven't actually looked at D64D2, just throwing this out as something that can cause a crash from dehacked.

Ok first thing first, I'm going to post the decorate code here for anyone would like to look over it and/or inject it into their v1.1 build to test it:

Spoiler

/*
		Altered demons spawner object.  These changes allow it to be killed.
		*/
		ACTOR D64D2BossEye : BossEye replaces BossEye
		{
		    Health 10
		    Radius 20
		    Height 32
		    Mass 100
		    AttackSound ""
		    SeeSound ""
		    +SHOOTABLE
		    +SOLID
		    -NOBLOCKMAP
		    -NOSECTOR
		    /* - This doesn't work well because it spawns all of these guys once killed.
		    DropItem "DoomImp"         255 50
		    DropItem "NightmareImp" 255 40
		    DropItem "Demon"        255 40
		    DropItem "Spectre"        255 30
		    DropItem "PainElemental"255 10
		    DropItem "Cacodemon"    255 30
		    DropItem "Archvile"        255  2
		    DropItem "Revenant"        255 10
		    DropItem "Arachnotron"    255 20
		    DropItem "Fatso"        255 30
		    DropItem "HellKnight"    255 24
		    DropItem "BaronOfHell"    255 10
		    */
		    States
		    {
		        Spawn:
		            SSWV A 10 A_Look
		            Loop
		        See:
		            SSWV A 10
		            SSWV A 150 A_BrainSpit
		            Wait
		        Death:
		            SSWV A 2 A_Fall
		            Stop
		    }
		}		

/*
		An exploder object that constantly calls A_Explode every tic.  Used for
		voodoo doll setups (better than crushing a barrel).
		*/
		ACTOR VoodooExploder replaces Meat3
		{
		    Height 16
		    Radius 32
		    States
		    {
		        Spawn:
		            MISL B 1 Bright A_Explode
		            Loop
		    }
		}		

/*
		A special behind-the-scenes demon which helps a player choose their destiny...
		*/
		ACTOR ChooserDemon replaces Meat4
		{
		    Health 10
		    Height 56
		    Radius 20
		    Mass 500
		    Speed 15
		    PainChance 0
		    RenderStyle OptFuzzy
		    Alpha 0.5
		    +QUICKTORETALIATE
		    +FLOORCLIP
		    +NOTARGET
		    +SHOOTABLE
		    +SOLID
		    +CANPUSHWALLS
		    +CANUSEWALLS
		    +ACTIVATEMCROSS
		    +CANPASS
		    +SHADOW
		    States
		    {
		        Spawn:
		            VILE AB 10 A_Look
		            Loop
		        See:
		            VILE AABBCCDDEEFF 2 A_VileChase
		            Loop
		        Death:
		            VILE QR 7
		            VILE S 7 A_NoBlocking
		            VILE TUVWXY 7
		            VILE Z -1
		            Stop
		    }
		}		

I've tested it a few times and everything seems to be working as intended.  But please try it out for yourself if you want to double-check my work, I would appreciate it!

On 7/22/2018 at 2:14 PM, Randy87 said:

Whacked allows you to remove/blank a frame's code pointer.

I don't think dehacked ever supported this, but would allow you to load a deh patch from whacked with it.

A quick test shows this to crash vanilla doom.

Edit:

I haven't actually looked at D64D2, just throwing this out as something that can cause a crash from dehacked.

This seems to be the problem actually.  I'm using a beta build of WhackEd4 because I needed to make use of a feature that the stable version lacked.  I'm not sure if that's why it allowed me to blank a code pointer (maybe that's a bug that's in the stable version too), but in any case this is very likely the issue.  Strange that ChocoDoom didn't have a problem with that though...

For anyone interested in the specifics, the offending frame in question is #609.  Normally this would be a part of the Spider Mastermind's Chase state.  However for the Motherdemon, its the last frame of her flame attack (its the last frame of animation she makes before going back to her chase state).  I blanked this out since it was just for animation purposes without realizing it would cause issues.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  It seems like it would given where it crashes in the video.

@Bashe If I send you a build with a fixed .deh patch, would you be able to test out the Motherdemon in DOS Doom for me?

Edited by Mechadon

Thanks to @Bashe and @Randy87, we got the Motherdemon issue fixed in DOS Doom!  Turns out the problem is exactly as Randy87 described, and Bashe tested my fixes to make sure everything is good to go now.  There's was a silver lining to this problem as well; I was able to extend part of her attack and pain states to make her a bit more difficult.  The attack state has one more SkelMissile and the pain state now has her spit out 4 lost souls in a row instead of just one.

*edit*

Here's the current changelog.  This next bug-fix version is going to be v1.2 to prevent further confusion.

Edited by Mechadon

Glad to have helped. It's strange that some of these more obscure quirks don't crash Chocolate Doom, but having full 100% vanilla compat I feel is a good thing. I'm glad I decided to run through the whole thing in vanilla and find this bug.

Map25 HOM (sector 444) (occurs with GL graphics only)

NJDyn8J.jpg

Thanks for the report Scotty!  There is a stacked linedef on part of that sector which is causing the problem, I assume.  This seems to only happen in GlBoom+ from what I can tell though.  I think I can tweak it so that doesn't happen.

Just downloaded Doom 64 for Doom II and I am very impressed. The map recreations capture the mood and atmosphere of the original Doom 64 maps with the good old school Doom aesthetics. For a time I was taken back to 1997 and felt that wave of nostalgia.

Doom 64 is definitely one of my favorite versions of Doom and I am glad to see that this incarnation has gotten quite a bit of attention lately.

Good work guys! Thanks for all the effort and time you put into the project.

Whew, Just got through this, being my first time through any version of DooM 64, gotta say if this is faithful to the original maps they sure did love their timed switch puzzles.

Also the new Motherdemon sprite looked great.

I tend not playing wads so often, I don't know why but my brother downloaded it last night and I have to say this looks pretty good. I liked that Mother Demon sprite added to the project and the new music too. Great job.

I absolutely love the mod, everything is so well made and the skyboxes are just beautiful!
Though I found MAP18 to be a bit quite unfair, like there was barely to no ammo and a lot of enemies.
Also I would've liked if in the end part with the text sequence would've showed the image with DoomGuy like in the original D64 instead of the cast sequence.
Other than that, I had a very enjoyable experience! Big props to all the the authors, you all did a great job!