Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - Released!

Just now, SiFi270 said:

Nightmare Imps don't seem to make a sound for melee in ports outside the ZDoom family. Is this a limitation of DeHackEd?

They use the Caco attack pointer IIRC, so that is correct - it is a DeHackEd limitation

i'm a bit out of the loop here, but i got to the end of the mapset, and the roll-call at the end mentions that there are Nightmare Cacodemons around that i never encountered. were they scrapped?

overall, i think this turned out really solid, and is a nice blend of classic Doom 2 aesthetics with some additions that makes it feel like a potentially lost IWAD sequel. while there were some points that felt a bit sour (that puzzle with the nukage that everyone has complained about so far, and me personally would've preferred a more ambient soundtrack overall), i think the package as a whole came together nicely, and some of the extra Zdoom additions helped elevate the experience, like the animated skies for instance (at least i assume those were ZDoom additions, looking at the MAPINFO). the final battle was pretty cool and caught me off guard with one of its attacks in particular, too.

i don't have much else to add, i really enjoyed this. :)

2 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i'm a bit out of the loop here, but i got to the end of the mapset, and the roll-call at the end mentions that there are Nightmare Cacodemons around that i never encountered. were they scrapped?

They're coop only

Very much enjoying this mod. The recreations of the maps and especially the special Doom 64 effects are pretty damn neat. I'm currently playing through the final version on my Windows 98 machine to get the true 1997 experience - glad it doesn't bomb out on map03 anymore!

I almost forgot to mention that I'm planning on doing the v1.1 release sometime this Friday or Saturday.  So if anyone spots more bugs, be sure to report them!

8 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Nightmare Imps don't seem to make a sound for melee in ports outside the ZDoom family. Is this a limitation of DeHackEd?

Yea, its because its using the Cacodemon attack codepointer.  Cacodemons don't make a melee attack sound, so that's why the Nightmare Imp doesn't.  I felt like maybe it would be a good idea that this was "fixed" in the decorate, even though it creates a behavior discrepancy.

I should probably make a note of it in the readme though.

*edit*

Whoops, DILDOMASTER already answered that...I didn't notice this was on a new page :P

@Megalyth I just had an idea on how to fix the BK exploit in Dark Entries that doesn't screw with the original design.  I changed the switch that starts the trap to a shootable switch.  It looks like this (with a fast blinking light to draw players towards it).  What do you think, is that an acceptable fix?

Also here is the current changelog so you guys can see what's been fixed and changed so far.  Thanks to @Jimmy for finding a bug with MAP30B where the fight would start way sooner than it should have if you didn't use the keys.

Edited by Mechadon

4 hours ago, Mechadon said:

@Megalyth I just had an idea on how to fix the BK exploit in Dark Entries that doesn't screw with the original design.  I changed the switch that starts the trap to a shootable switch.  It looks like this (with a fast blinking light to draw players towards it).  What do you think, is that an acceptable fix?

I have the feeling that I misspoke about map 18.The issue is from the first room with the two revenants if I don't shoot in this room, after teleported monsters don't come in blue key room.Even if I shoot in blue key room it changes nothing, I can activate all the switchs and I don't meet teleported monsters. In my opinion the shootable switch is a solution but in the 2 revenants room.

10 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I have the feeling that I misspoke about map 18.The issue is from the first room with the two revenants if I don't shoot in this room, after teleported monsters don't come in blue key room.Even if I shoot in blue key room it changes nothing, I can activate all the switchs and I don't meet teleported monsters. In my opinion the shootable switch is a solution but in the 2 revenants room.

No worries, I already addressed this.  I added an extra sound sector that links the BK room with the monster spawners.  And since a weapon fire is necessary to progress, all of the monsters should wake up by that point in the map.

@Mechadon

Looks good from my house :)

Something I always forget to take into account when testing is how other players might approach an area. When I see monsters, I shoot them, which is why little things like this slip by me. Thanks for the fixes.

I just want to remind everyone that the v1.1 release is going to happen sometime Saturday (let's say a little over 24 hours from the time I make this post).  So far we've addressed quite a few bugs and made a bunch of tweaks to help smooth out the more egregious issues.  Everything has been logged in the changelog here, so check that out if your interested.

If there's anything else that needs fixing, or if you have any other suggestions, be sure to post them now.  The v1.1 release is most likely going to be the one I upload to /idgames.  And barring any truly awful bugs, it will likely be the final-final version.

Maybe this is just me, but...

Spoiler

I think the super secret in map24 should have a teleporter leading to the very first area in case players missed the secret there, and then the teleporter back to the rest of the map could have the "coop" sign removed because it'd now have a purpose in singleplayer.