Doom 64 for Doom II Respawned! - Build V3 out now!

Thanks Saint_Guy, I appreciate you taking the time to toss in a couple Nightmare Imps in your map :).

Music stuff is still not totally decided yet.  I was leaning towards custom stuff because we've had some contributions made for the project and I always like including new work.  But I think we're also going to have a bit of a thematic problem too since not everything is going to be moody/ambient style (at least not all of the contributions have that tone).  Opening to Hell is a great track and I think is a perfect example of what I'd like to see, style wise, for the whole wad.

Anyways, I can set your map to use that track for now if you would like.

10 hours ago, Mechadon said:

I was leaning towards custom stuff because we've had some contributions made for the project and I always like including new work.  But I think we're also going to have a bit of a thematic problem too since not everything is going to be moody/ambient style (at least not all of the contributions have that tone).

I was thinking that a mixture of new music and some old tunes could set the vanilla mood of the mod better. You could do something like TNT, it had new music done for the game and some music from the original games (or just Doom II, I don't remember). I experimented a little with that when I did the compilation from the old thread. Some of the maps from the mod that I've played could have some of the original music in it and fit better than something new.

Another approach that could be done for some levels could be using rearranged covers like Bobby did. I was thinking on the particular case of MAP07; in Doom II, Dead Simple uses a cover of Slayer's South of Heaven, an unusually slow track from that band. Maybe, because Even Simpler is similar to that map and follows pretty much the same formula, we could use a cover of Mandatory Suicide, another Slayer song that is slow from the same album as the other one.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, CoTeCiO said:

Another approach that could be done for some levels could be using rearranged covers like Bobby did. I was thinking on the particular case of MAP07; in Doom II, Dead Simple uses a cover of Slayer's South of Heaven

I've already did this cover. Check music links list

Edited by DeXiaZ

Good post CoTeCiO!  I was thinking about this too and there are some tracks from Ultimate Doom that I think would work very well.  Mix those up with some of the custom pieces and I bet that would work pretty well in the end so long as we stay somewhat consistent.

Consistency is really my main concern here.  Tonal shifts from really slow, droning ambient to super upbeat stuff will make the experience feel very off balance in my opinion.  I'd like to stay on the more low-key side of things, but have some upbeat stuff for the more intense maps (like Even Simpler, Cat and Mouse, The Spiral, etc).

Edited by Mechadon

Thanks for finishing the map off, Mecha. I bit off a bit more than I can chew, I need to finish my Freedoom responsibilities. Chungy set the (non-hard) deadline of December 2017, so I promise I'll actually have something good to show by then. I've been disappointed in myself recently, I need to push through and show that I can actually get something done (and well).

Words are meaningless, let's see if I actually produce.

No worries Blastfrog :).  I'm just glad you let me know so we could keep the project alive.

Let me know if there's anything you like me to do to the map.  And good luck with the rest of your projects!

This looks like a cool project, I'll keep any eye on it. I freaking love Doom 64 and know the game in and out. Too bad I didn't get back to mapping earlier, this would be a cool project to work on.