Doom 64 for Doom II Respawned! - Build v5 is out! Looking for dedicated testers!

Apparently "merely recreating" takes time for some inexplicable reason. But at least it absolves me of any responsibility, so there's that.

 

research lab

 

No coop or anything - my first priority was to get SP somewhat working again after I broke everything by redoing half the geometry. Balance feels rude, and the map is missing some of the repopulation I didn't feel like messing with, so fine-tuning will be required down the line. I don't know what should and what shouldn't be done at this point, because I need to get some sleep.

 

Easy mode is probably as pitiful as ever, I haven't even tested it. There seems to be a pattern in Doom 64: medium and hard are reasonably close to each other, but easy is almost insulting. I think that maybe something should be done about it, to avoid an entirely pointless difficulty setting.

 

I wanted to write more things here, but I forgot most of them.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

final outpost

 

- Coop starts.

- Coop-friendly yellow key pedestal.

- Sound propagation at the end should be better now. Though I suspect this is a much bigger issue. Doom 64 has a lot of teleporting junk, and vanilla engine has a shit saving system. There's bound to be more of this. The only way to reliably avoid issues is to play in an engine that fixes saves.

- Added some shadowy unpleasantness instead of selected monsters. I think it's a great addition to the bestiary, though I may be overusing it just a little bit.

- A few small spontaneous edits. There aren't many things about this map that I truly loathe.

 

Ideas for DECORATE: add new fireball sprites and a scratching sound for the nightmare imp's attack.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I went ahead and played build v5 over the course of yesterday and today and finished it just now. Really enjoyed the new take on the Doom 64 levels in the classic Doom style. It's interesting to see how things had to be changed and worked around in the cases where it couldn't be straight up duplicated.

 

Some things I noticed while playing through in Chocolate Doom 2.3.0

  • There were some odd music bugs I noticed, when using OPL2. When I first got to The Lair, the music was not playing, but started playing randomly later on in the stage. I'm presuming it looped and then started working, but I can't be sure. The same thing happened on The Spiral and Playground, except there the music never began. Upon reaching Burnt Offerings, the music was very jumbled, with the guitar lead playing right at the start and the general feel of the song completely out of sync from normal. Once it looped, however, it was okay. I just reloaded Chocolate Doom and the wad and warped to the stages and the music plays fine in all cases, so I'm not sure what happened.
  • The area in Breakdown where you can walk along a ledge and get an automap seemed to be bugged for me. I dropped down and got the automap, but the FIREBLU fixture blocking the path would not lower and I could not escape the area at all. I even clipped through the FIREBLU into the room with what seemed to be a teleport pad, but it would not function. Not sure what happened there.
  • There overall seemed to be a lack of cell ammo all throughout the wad. I'm not sure if I was just being careless or overly-reliant on the plasma/BFG, but it seemed more often than not, I was lacking in cells in a lot of situations. Rockets sort of felt the same way sometimes, but not as badly.
  • If you opt not to get any of the keys on The Absolution, the action gets so crazy during the final fight that sprites can start disappearing after a while. I was a bit slow in dealing with Mrs. Motherdemon due to all the shit that was happening, and I eventually noticed the sprites flickering.

 

Other than this, everything seemed to go okay and I didn't run into any crashes or other showstopping bugs. Definitely doing a good job on this, all!

 

Edited by Bashe
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

While I liked the new status bar, I don't see it as a right fit for this project in particular. I think a darker version of the standard status bar would be more  appropriate, a la PSX Final Doom. Although, it's good to see STAR* textures getting some love as they are constantly bashed haha!

 

I was experimenting with a different Doom 64-related project a while ago and I created this status bar for it, but I don't feel it fits well either as it looks too Doom 64-ish and not Vanilla enough.

STBARN.png

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

I was experimenting with a different Doom 64-related project a while ago and I created this status bar for it, but I don't feel it fits well either as it looks too Doom 64-ish and not Vanilla enough.

STBARN.png

1

Maybe try and get rid of those lighter-brown diagonal metal lines? Rip a psxdoom metal texture?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Bashe, thanks for testing.

Currently "Breakdown" has a dead-end(teleporter) as the part of the map that substitutes the super-secret, where the "tele" would lead you to, is missing.

The map is finish-able but you can't reach the WIP-secret.

Edited by _bruce_

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, StalkerZHS said:

Maybe try and get rid of those lighter-brown diagonal metal lines? Rip a psxdoom metal texture?

Agreed. I really like your hud, CoTeCiO. And I'll prefer yours. But yeah, it uses D64 texture, let's change to the similar Doom2/DoomPSX texture.

Share this post


Link to post

Almost forgot - it's preferable for Research Lab to go with compat_sectorsounds 1.

 

As for the status bar - I think it's adequate, but not more than that. The highlights make me wonder why they're so bright.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the continued feedback on the statusbar graphic guys!  I'm still not sure what I'll end up doing with it, but for now it'll show up in build V6 so it can atleast get seen in proper action.  I was on the fence about it fitting the project as well, but I also kind of agree with Da Werecat that we shouldn't overthink it too much.  As I've been testing the build with it, it doesn't stick out against the hell maps as much as I thought.  If you guys can give it a whirl in this next build and give me your final thoughts, we'll go from there.

 

I'll still probably attempt a different one later on if I have the time :P

 

Speaking of build V6, I might be able to get it out later today or tomorrow.

 

17 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

- Sound propagation at the end should be better now. Though I suspect this is a much bigger issue. Doom 64 has a lot of teleporting junk, and vanilla engine has a shit saving system. There's bound to be more of this. The only way to reliably avoid issues is to play in an engine that fixes saves.

...

Ideas for DECORATE: add new fireball sprites and a scratching sound for the nightmare imp's attack.

Thanks for the map updates!  Did you still want me to do COOP additions, or are you planning on adding them yourself later on?

 

I remember now that this was a problem for Btsx, and I think pretty much every spawner had to be altered to get around it.  I forget the exact method used to fix it (it had something to do with adding extra sound "channels" from the spawning location to the spawner sectors), but yes, this is likely going to be a problem for any map that has monster spawners.  I'm on the fence as to whether or not its something that should be addressed just because it'll probably be a big pain, unless I go through each map after their finished myself and add them.

 

Good idea for the Nightmare Imp, I'll be sure to add that!

 

16 hours ago, Bashe said:

There overall seemed to be a lack of cell ammo all throughout the wad. I'm not sure if I was just being careless or overly-reliant on the plasma/BFG, but it seemed more often than not, I was lacking in cells in a lot of situations. Rockets sort of felt the same way sometimes, but not as badly.

 

If you opt not to get any of the keys on The Absolution, the action gets so crazy during the final fight that sprites can start disappearing after a while. I was a bit slow in dealing with Mrs. Motherdemon due to all the shit that was happening, and I eventually noticed the sprites flickering.

 

Thanks a ton for the testing help Bashe!

 

The lack of cell ammo is probably just a carry over from how much was from the original maps.  Though I can't say that for sure since most of the map I worked on already had their item placements done, I just did visual and some gameplay updates (I probably added some extra cell ammo in a few maps).  So I have to assume that the item placements are pretty close to the original maps.  I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.  But if you can recall any specific instances where some more cell ammo would be preferable, that would be handy :)

 

Also thanks for confirming a fear I had with the Motherdemon fight.  I was testing this yesterday and I didn't run into it, but I must not have let the spawners run long enough.  It'll be even worse if someone plays in vanilla COOP because I added extra spawners.  I think I may have the spawn closest close automatically after a certain point to help mitigate this issue.

 

Edited by Mechadon

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

Did you still want me to do COOP additions, or are you planning on adding them yourself later on?

I'm kinda struggling even with SP, so the thought of trying to create fun coop in these cramped corridors is scary. It'd be fair if I did everything myself, but I'm not sure I'd do it right.

 

I don't know.

 

17 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

I'm on the fence as to whether or not its something that should be addressed just because it'll probably be a big pain, unless I go through each map after their finished myself and add them.

Maybe some spawners could be replaced with "classic" monster closets and pop-ups. Although in many cases it would require some heavy changes to the surrounding structures.

 

Edited by Da Werecat

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

I'm kinda struggling even with SP, so the thought of trying to create fun coop in these cramped corridors is scary. It'd be fair if I did everything myself, but I'm not sure I'd do it right.

 

I don't know.

 

Maybe some spawners could be replaced with "classic" monster closets and pop-ups. Although in many cases it would require some heavy changes to the surrounding structures.

 

I usually don't stress out too much over COOP placements, but that's just me.  The philosophy I run with is "more is better", and it hasn't failed me yet (or no one has bothered to tell me, heh).  Anyways, just let me know if you want me to help you out with COOP stuff at some point, I don't mind ;)

 

Monster pop-ups and closets could definitely work as a simple solution.  I guess we just need to decide if its something worth fixing in the long run.  If I can dig up the Btsx solution, I'll post it for anyone who would like to take advantage of it.

Share this post


Link to post

It would be nice if you could flag line activations as being coop only, instead of needing to use UDMF and do a convoluted method of checking the game mode and either running or terminating the script.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Nevander said:

It would be nice if you could flag line activations as being coop only, instead of needing to use UDMF and do a convoluted method of checking the game mode and either running or terminating the script.

You could also tag the lines with coop-only specials with the same tag, then have an OPEN script that nullifies all the specials on lines with that tag with SetLineSpecial if the game mode isn't coop.

Share this post


Link to post

GREAT PROJECT! 

HAPPY TESTING ADDON: 

 

[link removed - Mordeth]

 

D64TD2V07.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Wat.

 

Hey terryman, wrong thread, shitpost are forum below.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now