Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

@Devalaous Yea that sounds about right.  For this vanilla-ized Nightmare Imp, the thing I'm mostly concerned with is the fuzzy effect.  Doom 64 Nightmare Imps were still pretty easy to see.  But the Spectre fuzz is a much more effective visual obscuring effect, so that's my main concern (at least I always have a terrible time seeing Spectres, maybe its just me :P).

@DILDOMASTER666 Alright, thanks for letting us know!  Good luck with Blood Keep by the way, I'm looking forward to it!

@Jaws In Space Let me know if your still interested in working on Dark Citadel and I'll mark you down.  The latest version should be in the build, but you can also grab it from here.

Just wanted to say: this is an very interesting concept. Perhaps some day the reverse could be attempted? Doom '93 levels converted to Doom 64 style.

2 hours ago, mattjoes said:

Just wanted to say: this is an very interesting concept. Perhaps some day the reverse could be attempted? Doom '93 levels converted to Doom 64 style.

Already exists as idea

On 3/29/2017 at 11:34 PM, Mechadon said:

@Jaws In Space Let me know if your still interested in working on Dark Citadel and I'll mark you down.  The latest version should be in the build, but you can also grab it from here.

Ah, just noticed this. I think I may have to hold off for now, I spoke a bit too soon. I'm spreading myself across too many projects at the moment. I'll try to get back to this project at a later date.

Hey no problem Jaws in Space.  If you change your mind, just let me know.  The slot is still open for the time being :)

I've been thinking that it might be a good point to set up the first deadline.  Mostly just a check-in deadline for the folks that are still working on maps.  My first thought is to set it a month from now - May 4th.  What do you guys think?

Thanks MinerOfWorlds!

I'm going to set the first deadline for check-in on May 4th (unless anyone has any objections).  So all I need is to see some sort of progress from anyone who is currently working on a map before that date.  After that, if I don't get a progress report, I will consider opening up slots.

Also since things have slowed down a bit, I probably won't release another build until some new maps are completed or if there are a ton of updates made soon.  I'll probably also wait until the Motherdemon is completed before the next release.

Just bumping this as a reminder for everyone involved that the first check-in will be on May 4th.  So if you've got an active map slot, try to give us a status update before then!

I will try to have a new build ready on that same date as well.  If things go well, it will include an updated Dehacked patch which will tweak all of the things that we've discussed so far.  And I would really like to have a working Motherdemon ready to go by then too.  So that should be something to look forward to :)

Also don't forget that there are music tracks in the first post that can be claimed.  If there's a track that you would like to be used in your map, claim it!  We could still use a few new tracks, so don't hesitate to make something if you can.

Hello to everyone

can someone in this trade tell me if there is a chance to see a combined version for this mode (Ex maps+ absolution maps) in one file 

and the outcast levels as a sperate file?

hope to hear from you ASAP

regards

Hi Doom4Ever, this project is just a re-imagining of the original Doom 64 maps in vanilla Doom.  It's possible someone might do the same for the Outcast maps at some point, but that's not a part of this particular project.

I was interested to do Absolution+Outcast maps conversion, but I don't have so much time for doing this. I suppose there are no significance in making those maps after D64D2 release. But we can't take more time for this becuase this project barely survived the "development hell".

A very interesting concept. I'm in need of my "Doom fix" since i last played it over a month ago so it's time to give this project a shot.

Congratulations on the advances you all have made on this proyect! It made me really appreciatte the D64 level design.
I hope it can be finished, but as it is, it's great fun. Nightmare Imps (fuzz effect seems appropiate to the transition) are cool, working flawlessly on PrBoom+.

I wanted to give you guys a quick heads-up about a potential issue.  I might be away and unable to do much with the project on the upcoming deadline (May 4th).  If that's the case, just try to continue things as normal and consider the deadline to be extended until I return.  If your working on something, try to post a progress report of some kind if you can before that deadline.  Basically treat the current deadline as valid until that date.  If I'm not around by that date to check-in on things, then consider the deadline extended (I'll figure that out when I'm back).

The next build might not happen on that deadline, but I'll try to keep the wheels turning on it so it doesn't get delayed too long.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:28 AM, DeXiaZ said:

I was interested to do Absolution+Outcast maps conversion, but I don't have so much time for doing this. I suppose there are no significance in making those maps after D64D2 release. But we can't take more time for this becuase this project barely survived the "development hell".

Yea I agree.  Doing those other maps would be pretty cool, but I think they would need to be a separate effort from this.  This project has already had enough of a rough time, and adding another big layer to it will slow things down even more.

If there's interest in doing a side-project for those extra maps at some point, I would completely support it.  If none of the contributors objected, I'd allow all of the resources made for this to be used in any side-project like that.

Thanks guys!

Ok guys, the check-in deadline is just around the corner.  I'm bumping this to make sure everyone sees this.  So please give a status report of some kind if you are working on a map!  I will send out PMs to anyone who doesn't give a status update by the 4th and allow about a week or so before dropping slots if I don't hear back.  Please spread the word!

I will likely be around on the 4th, so disregard the post above (unless something changes).  The next build probably won't be ready by then, but we'll see.

One last bump here before the deadline!  I need to hear status updates from the following people:

@Blastfrog

@dt_

@Archvile Hunter

@DILDOMASTER666

@_bruce_

I will send out PMs to any of you who haven't posted a status update, and I'll wait about another week or so before finally dropping slots.  So please post an update if you want to keep you slot!

I have a small update to share as well.  Pedro VC got in touch with me on the ZDoom forums, and he is looking to update his maps.  So I have removed their open slot status for now.  The following maps still need authors:

MAP16: Dark Citadel

MAP23: The Spiral

MAP27: Burnt Offerings

Once all of the maps get completed, we'll need to start hammering away on some serious testing.  I'm also going to set aside some time and do quick visual critiques of all of the maps so that we have a somewhat level threshold for presentation.  There are a few maps that I think could use some visual clean up, though on the whole things look pretty good.  I just want to ensure that all of the maps are in presentable states once the gameplay is figured out.

MAP08 (Alpha Quadrant) Status Update

Layout and texturing is almost complete, but I have a quick question.

How much creative freedom do we have when it comes to visual appearance and encounter design?

The Doom 2 texture set, as I found out, is quite limited when it comes to recreating D64 maps. While D64 has approximately 4 billion different gray and brown metal textures, Doom 2 has only a few.

Do we have to place the monsters in their original positions are can we mix it up? Some monsters like the Chaingunner, AV and Revenants are absent in D64, but Nightmare Imps don't exist in Doom 2.

I'll upload some screens when I get home later today.

I'll post pictures of my, unfortunately small, update in the evening.

I) Still working on the secret area of "Watch Your Step" - the main map has been slightly refined and is as good as complete... I'll maybe split a little hairs and retouch some stuff.

The super secret area has to be revamped, shaded and some gameplay added. I'm still open for input on what to add to it, since it should be something special. At the moment I like it's visual "humor based novelity" but I think it's kinda cheap gameplaywise.

II) Added a secret to "Breakdown" which felt to be in harmony with the design. The shading has to be added and refined - high octane visplane drama. Closing up some portions of the map was connected to making the windows smaller and still having it all look good.

The only REAL headache I have with the map is that there's lots of teleporting in and I'm still a little bit baffled on how to remanifest the original's feel with a more mundane approach.

From what I've read the dehacked patch includes that a killed cyberdemon finishes any map?

What I totally forgot to take into account is the save game limit - is this a showstopper?

I'm still working on mine, I copied all the geometry from the original and retextured.  Did anyone else have to manually define 2 sided and single sided linedefs when doing this? 

I'll be honest, the northeastern section where the demon artifact is collected is being a bit of a headscratcher to re create in vanilla, I may take some creative license with this if that's ok with you

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_155810_zpskuyds

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_155747_zpsod4tq

Screenshot_Doom_20170504_155725_zpspdswn

16 hours ago, Mechadon said:

MAP16: Dark Citadel

Hm, I'd like to finish this map but I suppose that I need the last version of this map. And which things (areas) in this map must be "finished"?

46 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Hm, I'd like to finish this map but I suppose that I need the last version of this map. And which things (areas) in this map must be "finished"?

Latest version should be in OP, unless someone has worked on it since being put there. As far as what needs being done; the outside area is a visplane overflow area when facing towards the starting area of the map, some lines need upper/lower unpegged, and various other tiny fixes you'll spot once you open it up. Also the red key in front of the red key door needs to be removed, I had left it there before posting it because I had it there for testing purposes.

There may be more that needs to be done, I really can't remember how far I got into it but I do know I did everything up until the floor that moves down to the library area. The blue key dart room thing could probably be done better too using some teleport traps or something. I had just put Lost Souls there as a temporary thing to have down there.

Ok, I'm gonna check everything. I've already fixed visplane problem in this map.

Megalyth checking in, still working on my map. I recently did some work on the two off-shoot teleporter rooms in the start area.

P18K02i.jpg

Looking great guys, thank you all for taking the time to post status updates for me!  I think even though things seem to be moving along slowly, we are still on track to finishing this project off in a timely manner.

First thing I want to share are the map updates that Pedro VC made.  You can grab them below:

Altar of Pain V3

Spawned Fear V2

Remember that all of the maps can be downloaded from HERE (including older versions).  Unfortunately I haven't figured out a good way to link all of the maps in the map list since the forum upgrade, so I apologize for any potential confusion.

15 hours ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Layout and texturing is almost complete, but I have a quick question.

How much creative freedom do we have when it comes to visual appearance and encounter design?

Do we have to place the monsters in their original positions are can we mix it up? Some monsters like the Chaingunner, AV and Revenants are absent in D64, but Nightmare Imps don't exist in Doom 2.

You definitely have room for some creative liberties.  My basic advice is to go with your gut and reinterpret the designs in the way you think is best/most interesting.  More than likely I think you'll be able to come up with something that will work just fine! 

Same general sentiments go with monster placements.  Try to keep the same general idea behind the monster placements, but don't be afraid to mix them up by using some of the Doom II specific monsters (some maps do this already).  Also don't forget there's a Nightmare Imp to play around with as well.

15 hours ago, _bruce_ said:

From what I've read the dehacked patch includes that a killed cyberdemon finishes any map?

What I totally forgot to take into account is the save game limit - is this a showstopper?

Sort of.  The Cyberdemon uses the Keen death codepointer, which will open all doors tagged with 666.  The Motherdemon, once its finished, will end up using the level end codepointer upon death.

And good question concerning the save game limit.  I'm going to probably just go with the Btsx philosophy and say that we won't worry about it.  If possible I would like to have our testers see if any of the maps do break that limit, so then we can at least make a mention of it in the readme.  But otherwise that limit is so difficult to get around that its usually not worth it, so I'd rather not bother.

10 hours ago, dt_ said:

I'm still working on mine, I copied all the geometry from the original and retextured.  Did anyone else have to manually define 2 sided and single sided linedefs when doing this? 

I'll be honest, the northeastern section where the demon artifact is collected is being a bit of a headscratcher to re create in vanilla, I may take some creative license with this if that's ok with you

I also had to do some major line reconstruction when I copied over the level geometry from the Doom 64 wad.  Thankfully it was a small map (MAP03) but I could see that being a big time sink on the larger maps.  Blastfrog did post a link to a batch of converted D64 maps a while back (see HERE), so that might be useful.

Anywho, as I said previously, definitely don't feel bad about taking some creative liberties where its difficult or impossible to recreate a design from the original game.  I think seeing how you guys work around those limitations is part of the charm of this project ;)

Your screenshots look awesome by the way, nice work!

@Blastfrog Thanks for the link to your w.i.p. map!  I'll take a look at it soon; from the screenshots it was looking very good.  I hope your able to finish it with just vanilla textures though.  Don't hesitate to look for some help in that department if you think you need it.

@DeXiaZ I'm going to mark you down as co-author on MAP16.  Thanks for taking the slot!

@Megalyth I almost forgot about you!  Thank you very much for dropping by and providing a status update along with a screenshot.  It's looking good, keep at it :)

Edited by Mechadon

57 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

I also had to do some major line reconstruction when I copied over the level geometry from the Doom 64 wad.  Thankfully it was a small map (MAP03) but I could see that being a big time sink on the larger maps.

The easiest way to handle that process is like this:

Select all lines in the copied map and set them to be double sided (even if not) and clear the action on them. Select all sectors and set the sector special to 0. This clears all the incompatible Doom 64 action specials and makes the map able to be visually traversed in-game, since all lines now are double sided.

Go into error checking mode and right-click one of the "Line is set as double sided but only has one side" errors and select all of that type, then fix them. All lines are now correct.