Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

This map is really impressive, but I should say that our goal is to convert original levels into vanilla format. Even special mappack from 2005 year called "The Outcast Levels" (or just "The Outcast") was declined for porting.

Just bumping this to make sure the project doesn't look too dead ;)

I hope everyone is still working on their maps.  I haven't decided on when the next check-in date will be.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.  I'm thinking we should do one more check-in deadline, and then try to set a final map submission deadline after that.

No news on the updated dehacked work yet.  Unfortunately I've just been too busy lately.  I will try to get in touch with Obsidian again soon and get the ball rolling again.

Update time!

I've contacted Obsidian about the rest of the dehacked work, so those wheels are turning.  I'm not sure when its going to get done (I think he's a bit busy) but hopefully it will be done soon.

My plan was to wait until the dehacked work was done to release a new build plus announce the next check-in deadline.  However since I'm not sure when the dehacked stuff will get finished, I'm going to go ahead and set a new deadline before too much more time passes.

The next check-in deadline is going to be on August 31st!  So between now and the deadline, I need to see some sort of progress from the following folks:

@Blastfrog

@dt_

@Archvile Hunter

@Megalyth

@DILDOMASTER666

@_bruce_

If you don't send in a progress update, your slot may be given to someone else.  So please be sure to check-in with us!

I will probably have a final map deadline decided on the 31st, so be prepared for that.  This will just mean that we'll need all maps in completed states; it won't be a complete feature lock-down.  After that point we will spend time testing, bug-fixing, and polishing the maps.  I'll be looking for some dedicated testers around this time, so if your interested let me know!

Also a note about music - I'm looking for more music tracks!  I think we'll want a few more tracks at the very least.  Some tracks can probably be reused a couple of times if it comes down to that.  So if your musically inclined, and if your interested, please consider donating your time and skill to the project :)

And note to mappers - please feel free to claim music tracks for you maps.  Check the OP for the list of available tracks to choose from.

Hello to everyone

right now I am playing the original doom 64 and there are two things that bother me:

1) why the hell I keep seeing an auto weapons switching during a fight even thought I still have ammo in the weapon I chose to start the fight with?

2) is there a chance somebody here can tell me how to install the absolution source port which can be found here:http://www.doom2.net/doomdepot/abs-download.html

to sum up I want to add two more things:

1) unless you know another way please don't tell me to speak with Kaiser (I already tried to write him threw this site and threw email using these emails:

svhome@gameslink.net and kaiser@newdoom.com

2) for the source port I want to add that I don't use Doomday engine nor jdoom

many thanks for all the helpers

Doom4Ever, this is not the place to be asking those questions.  This is a project thread about recreating the Doom 64 maps in vanilla Doom 2.

firstly let me make things absolutely clear.

since you said the project I about recreating the Doom 64 maps I assume you played doom 64 in the past ,so I will thank you if you know something or at least you can send me to the right topic where I can get answers to my questions.

^hehe at the first line of that post.  Use doom64 ex as the source port, and there's a way to get the wad as a read only file, but I can't remember how to do it, sorry.

in other news, my map's almost finished, but am thinking about re texturing large parts of it, and need to devise a way to keep visplanes down in the central hub style area.  I've also bought a house, and am moving in the next few days so it might be towards the end of August before its finished, if that's ok

13 hours ago, dt_ said:

need to devise a way to keep visplanes down in the central hub style area

I think we need to see your map in editor to understand how it goes.

Thanks for the update dt_!  And good luck with your move into your new house!  If you need help with getting around limits, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Just bumping this to make sure everyone knows about the deadline coming up on the 31st!  I'll be sending out PMs to those who haven't shown any progress by then.

A few brush ups and lots of play-testing still ahead, but I'm finally coming close to bringing Map17(Map21) to a palatable stage.

Etched out the starting area as much as I could while still maintaining the 128 visplane limit - close and maybe even a cigar this time. Added another secret due to the map being to blast heavy and short. Doom's more dynamic pace brings the whole affair to an end way too soon. The Cyber demons are pretty hard to beat but can easily be obliterated with a "trick". 

DOOM07.png

DOOM10.png

Today is the day!  _bruce_ and dt_ are the only people who have checked-in so far, so I'm going to be sending out PMs to everyone else soon.  Again, these are the people I need to hear back from:

@Blastfrog

@Archvile Hunter

@Megalyth

@DILDOMASTER666

I'll wait a week from today to see some progress updates before I start dropping slots.  If your slot gets dropped, but your still interested in it, please let me know.  Or if your no longer interested, but you have some unfinished work, please consider sending it to me so we can find someone to finish it.

If things go well from this point, the next deadline is going to be the final map submission deadline.  This means that all maps need to be in playable forms so that we can finally get things moving towards a release.  We'll spend a good chunk of time doing some testing after that point.

In other news, the next public release is gonna be a bit delayed.  I think Obsidian has been busy lately and hasn't been able to finish up the dehacked work.  So I will likely be taking that over soon so we can test out the new changes.  I wanted to release it today but things don't always go as planned :P

Also I'll reiterate - we could really use some musicians!  If your interested, please let me know!

Edited by Mechadon

Crap, I've been so busy that I haven't worked on any maps in a while and I forgot all about the check-in. My map is about 90% complete, so I don't want to lose my spot.

No problem Megalyth, thanks for the update!  Your slot is safe :)

I'm not sure when the next deadline is going to be.  Its going to depend somewhat on how far along the remaining mappers are.  But I am open to suggestions for the next deadline.

Well, August 31st (more like September 1st, but hey).

Turns out recreating already existing maps is a lot more tedious and boring than I expected. I was on a trip for the previous 2 months, so I haven't gotten as much work done as I would've liked. Oh, well. Now I'm out of a job, so I should have plenty of time to finish before whenever the next deadline is.

Have some screenshots. Texturing is not final (those damn lights just won't align properly), but it's functional. I might want to brighten it up a little, but that depends on the overall atmosphere we're going for.

0Dx5eIJ.png

WxkN6vd.png

NDsOfSi.png

Oh man! I've been so busy lately! I am currently in Toronto studying so my free time is quite limited. I really wanted to provide more music but I've been on a writer's-musician's block and none of the ideas I've come up with are good enough. I might need to replay the WIP WAD and get a feeling of the game. Whenever I can get hold of a guitar again, I'll jam to see what riffs could fit the mod. I must admit I'm quite excited now that this thread seem active again and there are signs of progress.

@Archvile Hunter Thanks for the update!  The map is looking fantastic, and I think I really like the dark, moody lighting.  I'd say stick with it so long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

@CoTeCiO It would be awesome to have some more of your music :).  I hope things work out and your able to contribute some more.

So I had some free time today to do a bit of mapping work.  Since DeXiaZ was having trouble with the ceiling beams in Dark Citadel, I decided to see if I could figure out a way to squeeze them in.  And a few hours later, I ended up fixing the beams...aaaand I cleaned up all of the visuals a bit :P.  There were a few bugs that needed addressing too.  So here's an update for Dark Citadel:

Dark Citadel v2

There's still some work that needs to be done on it though.  Difficultly settings do not seem to be implemented.  And COOP things haven't been added either.  So those will need to be worked in sometime soon.

Edited by Mechadon

I have another map update to share with you guys.  This time I updated MAP23: The Spiral.  I've been trying to fix/update BaronOfStuff's smaller arena maps since they don't take too long to do.  And I had forgotten about this one until I was skimming through the test build.

The Spiral v2

The visuals have been overhauled (what I could do given the limits) and I fixed a few bugs.  I also implemented more in-depth difficulty settings and added COOP things.  So this one should be ready to test!

Edited by Mechadon

Ok, I took three songs I had lying around and I rearranged them to loop and sound more natural on a game context. I haven't been able to play the mod yet so I don't know if these fit the mood of any of the maps, but still, you might find them useful. Here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Vpm2y5MZh6ZkRTX3YxQ3NMWUE this one is called Painful Dreams (Bleh.mid)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Vpm2y5MZh6Q1JvWWFmc01fQzA this one is called Inappropriate Behavior (Prel.mid)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Vpm2y5MZh6YVdXRHo0V1UwV2c this one is called Wind (Wind.mid)

I hope you like them!

For reference and just in case something happens with my Drive, I attached a zip file with all the MIDIs I've provided for the mod so far.

D64D2 CoTeCiO MIDIs.zip

CoTeCiO - the midis are pretty awesome.

"Aug" being the most fitting in terms of lingering spookiness... very nice!

The only "complaint", specific to your work, may be that some of the stuff is too upbeat(I know, Doom's may have been too). A general "complaint" about custom music in Doom wad's for me is that themes seem a little bit too elaborate to hit home hard enough. Games like the original Warcraft thrive with music which has more depth to it as the pace and experience of the game is vastly different to Doom.

DoomII's "Countdown To Death" may be a perfect example of a song not too simple nor too complex in composition... and perfectly fitting the "dilemma" of the player when facing the unforgiving gaming world which is unfolding in all its "beautiful monstrosity".

5 hours ago, _bruce_ said:

CoTeCiO - the midis are pretty awesome.

"Aug" being the most fitting in terms of lingering spookiness... very nice!

The only "complaint", specific to your work, may be that some of the stuff is too upbeat(I know, Doom's may have been too). A general "complaint" about custom music in Doom wad's for me is that themes seem a little bit too elaborate to hit home hard enough. Games like the original Warcraft thrive with music which has more depth to it as the pace and experience of the game is vastly different to Doom.

DoomII's "Countdown To Death" may be a perfect example of a song not too simple nor too complex in composition... and perfectly fitting the "dilemma" of the player when facing the unforgiving gaming world which is unfolding in all its "beautiful monstrosity".

I get you, you may get that feeling from my music because what I've provided here is mostly rearrangements/"MIDIfication" of music I have composed and recorded for my albums, so they are done for a different context in which more elaboration is expected and because it is a classic Doom mod, I've been picking up the most "upbeat" ideas that remind me the most of the stuff Bobby did in the rock/metal department for the games.

Interestingly enough, Aug is a reinstrumentation of a segment of a song of mine, so I took a guitar riff and put it in the MIDI with a pizzicato string patch, added some more layers of instruments and yeah, it worked pretty well, but it is one single riff repeated over and over again building up. I might have to try to make songs revolving a single theme or riff instead of having more variation.

Bleh started as a song for this project, but I ended up making it a "full song" out of it. Actually, it was going to follow the main riff all the time, but it sounded so good when played on an actual guitar, I had to record it haha!

Thanks for the input!

i'm sorry i haven't been able to contribute more dark and ambient tracks to the project myself. maybe once i'm done with my current project i'm working on, i'll be able to make some more music for this.

I decided to use my free time today to finally get build version 3 polished off.  Sorry it took so long, but its here now!

D64D2 Build V3 (Changelog)

D64D2 Resource V2

So the big deal in this update is the dehacked work, most notably the Motherdemon that I whipped up earlier today.  As some of you may know, pulling off "new" behaviors in vanilla dehacked isn't very easy to do.  Obsidian and I brainstormed a few ideas and I think what we came up with is pretty good all things considered.  I used the Supreme Fiend sprites and grafted on the "telekinetic" Mastermind attack sprite that was released by Romero a while back.  So what we have is a flying Mastermind that does a combo plasma/fireball/rev missile attack, and upon entering its pain state it does an Archvile targeted fire attack.  Once it dies, the level will end shortly thereafter.  It will probably needs some adjustments down the line (and it also depends on how it works in the finalized MAP30), but please let me know what you guys think.

One other notable change in this build are the new sky textures for the latter levels.  I wasn't happy with the coloring jobs I did on Da Werecat's bone void sky, so I eventually gave up and tried to make some new ones today.  In keeping with the general theme of the previous skies in the project, I attempted to make some firey skies to match the ones in the original 64 game.  Obviously they aren't animated, but I think they came out pretty good.  Lemme know if you guys are ok with them.

I recorded all of the other changes in the changelog, so be sure to take a look through that as well.

The resource wad also got an update.  I tossed in a quick readme that explains how to use the new monsters and a few other things.  So if your mapping, be sure to grab that!

Dark Citadel and The Spiral also got updates from me again.  The Spiral was mostly just bug fixes and small adjustments.  However for Dark Citadel, I spent more time cleaning up the visuals, and I also took the time to implement difficulty settings and COOP additions.  So it should be totally ready to test now!

The Spiral v3

Dark Citadel v3

In the near future, I'm going to be going through all of the currently submitted maps to report on various aspects of them.  That includes bug reports, missing features, gameplay issues, and visual/detail inspections.  Some of the finished maps require some extra polish to bring them up to par with the rest.

So happy testing guys!  Keep the maps coming and I'll get a new build out once we get a few more :)

@CoTeCiO Awesome, thanks for contributing more music!  I haven't had a chance to listen to the new tracks just yet (been too busy getting the build ready), but I will be sure to get them linked in the OP.

@Viscra Maelstrom No worries!  If you can contribute some more music, I would be very happy to have it ;)

I just realized that the music in MAP14 is actually Pull the Plug by the band Death. So, are we using actual "real" songs for the mod as well?

Thanks for that info CoTeCiO.  I had no idea that it was based off of a track from an existing band.  At the moment I don't have a clear rule about music, but I'm going to lean more towards using custom made tracks versus existing music.  It will ultimately depend on how much music gets contributed (and whether or not we want to keep with a distinct musical theme...ie. use mostly dark, ambient stuff).

For the moment though, I'll just keep that track with the map until we can make a more concrete decision.

Checked dehacked changes in Dark Citadel. It's good to see that fire with yellow key is working perfect.

"Mother Demon" looks unusual, I remember that I insisted sometime ago to use this Flying Mastermind. But I found strange it's revenant's fireball attacks. Those fireballs spawns from forehead. It gives a feeling that monster is missing some kind of hole like Icon of Sin.

BTW, I thought it will use attack like BFG 2047 from Doom Alpha/Beta. But already existing attack is similar, so...I don't know.