Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Thanks Werecat!

These flats always sneak in after testing a different floor or ceiling. And yes, the Cyber should be killed via the tele-frag "dick move". This map is in general a hair too short on ammo as I wanted to push the player into seeking "hidden bargains"... which is in itself another dick move. The secrets may seem forced but I had the feeling the map was kinda lacking substance. In Doom64 the slower pace seems to hide this notion.

I'll take care of all three issues in Map24. And yes, it is not really finished because it still needs the super secret hub attached.

Both maps had a lot of shadowing cut due to visplane issues.

6 hours ago, _bruce_ said:

The secrets may seem forced but I had the feeling the map was kinda lacking substance. In Doom64 the slower pace seems to hide this notion.

I'm not complaining, really. Just trying to explain my sudden ammo shortage. Pain elementals being naughty also contributed.

Before I forget again, things.

MAPINFO idea: episodes akin to Valiant. 3 should be about enough.

DEHACKED idea: since I can see simple fixes like SSG flash already implemented (even BtSX didn't do that, regrettably), maybe also center the weapons when firing? Horizontally, at least. I think PrBoom+ offers this as an option now, but other ports typically don't, unless based on ZDoom where it's forced. Another thing: cyberdemon lights up when shooting rockets, but not when exploding.

On a similar note: rocket launcher muzzle flash sprite fix?

Something about the resource pack I forgot (to repeat): maybe get rid of SW4Sx? That switch sticks out like a sore thumb, and is an example of fixing what wasn't broken, IMO.

That one's going to be hard to fix in vanilla. Since offsets are for both upper and lower instead of separate (like UDMF), you're going to have to use unpegging which might look ugly from the outside.

It's somewhat intentional actually.  I figured there should be some sort of hint for that secret, so the misalignment is the hint (to me it wasn't immediately noticeable in Chocolate Doom because of the low-res, but it probably sticks out way more in other ports).

Would it be possible to have unique texture names for the new skies? 

Because the D64TD2 mod has individual replacements for D2 TNT and Plutonia. 

And D64D2 uses the names of Doom2s skies what although not odd just appears 

abit unspectacular compared to the original ones.  

holding area again

- SP tweaks.

- Coop things. Made for a few entertaining solonet sessions. Though it's hardly a substitute for proper testing.

I had elaborate plans for making this map somewhat DM-ready, but then I looked at other levels and there were just starts thrown into the least awkward room. I guess it's very low priority, so I'll concentrate on things that are important to me.

D1 - D2 - TNT - Plutonia - their sky tapestries

have different names what allowed my mod to replace the

boringisher ones with a variety of more playful and spacier. 

Now D64D2 uses the names of the D2 skies what

makes my mod replace them like the ones from D2. 

Maybe not the quickest job renaming all

of them in each map but surely worth it. 

Edited by Kaal979

Id be very pleased if you gave the D64D2 skies individual names

so maybe in a future version of the D64TD2 mod i could handpick

one or two new or recoloured to become replaced exclusively -

thanks in advance. 

P.S.: Considering the overall up-spacing effect of

a coloured sky im thinking one could be too dark to

maximally support a satisfying looking game. 

My friend SCD (who helped me with PSX Arch-Vile sounds) asked me to post his opinion (due to he's not registered here yet):

I checked out the latest version of Doom 64 for Doom II: Respwaned, there's several things that you and the rest of the team should change in the final release:

Give the Nightmare Imps the regular Imp fireball, but make them translucent like the monster itself.

Make the Nightmare Cacodemon's fireball translucent like the monster itself.

Use the multicolored PSX fire skies for the maps that uses the fire sky as their skybox.

Is the Supreme Being a temporally placement for the Mother Demon until the sprites for it are done?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Classic version of the unused Doom 64 enemy the Hell Hound added to this mod.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the four exclusive maps from the Absolution TC added to this mod as well.

Well, I like the idea about translucent fireballs with recolor. It should remind original D64 style even more. Don't know about other things...

Well, you can't exactly have new fireball types in vanilla. Or animating skies.

Worth considering as ZDoom additions though. Unless the damage gets changed too - I think the nightmare imp works well as a glass cannon.

research lab

Coop, etc.

DEHACKED idea after a certain fiasco during testing: disable resurrecting monsters as ghosts? It's not hard. You just need to loop the crushed frame on itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtjnkh6tqje6zmy/d6429v3.wad?dl=1

I've a quick update for you guys, I know you've just let out another build but here it is anyway

I've fixed the game breaking trap with the soulsphere

Sorted the automap a bit

Fixed a couple of unnecessary line actions and that random yellow key door, must have pressed the wrong button in DB or something there

Thrown in some extra coop stuff for good (or bad)measure

Do tell me where you think it needs facelifting, I think I agree with you but not sure exactly where.  Skill modes will still need a bit of balancing work but the map should function 100% now

I've tried to make a custom sprites:

XEPqAqX.png

It's not a really final version. As you can see - this Frankenstein's monster is not color-matched. But anyway, what do you think? Or I just should give up and accept the flying Supreme Mastermind?

2 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

XEPqAqX.png

It's not a really final version. As you can see - this Frankenstein's monster is not color-matched. But anyway, what do you think? Or I just should give up and accept the flying Supreme Mastermind?

Now that looks more original and closer to the actual Motherdemon sprite without it being an exact copy. I support this.

That mastermind frankensprite sure is bad, but I don't think this one is much better.

Scrag sprites were never that good to begin with.

Sorry for being negative.  Final boss is kind of a big deal.

guess what research lab

Just a minor balance tweak on easy. I also wanted to simplify doors in the south-western section, but reverted the change.

final outpost

Spit and polish (mostly spit), coop, DM starts. I entertained the idea of moving the hack geometry really far away from the playing space so that there's no way to hear anything even if you stray, but decided not to mess with the BLOCKMAP limit for now.

Oh, and tell me if I'm going overboard with multiplayer monsters or not giving enough supplies. I really don't know what I'm doing here.

Aside from all that, and unless any problems crop up, these three should be wrapped up. Would anyone mind if I tinkered with Alpha Quadrant?

Sorry for the absence lately, the holidays have kept me busy.  I really needed the break from the project too, heh.  I'll try to address everything that was brought up, but first a few things.

I'm going to go ahead and set the final deadline for January 31st.  We'll see how things pan out from this point on, and I will push the date back a bit if we really have too.  But the project seems to be close to completion at this point, and I think just a little over a month should be enough time to polish up the remaining bits.

Concerning the Motherdemon sprites, I'm going to see what we can do about improving them.  I was hesitant to ask Cage for help earlier in the project because he's super busy, but I'll bring it up with him to see what he thinks.

Did anyone else have any thoughts on the current statusbar graphics?  I wanted to hear what more people thought about it before making a final decision on it.  If I have the time/motivation, I'll see about making another one.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, Da Werecat said:

Seeing one of the maps in the editor made me think about DM starts. The author had the right idea, although they didn't invent it: just have a separate layout for DM. It seemed identical to the first one aside from (I'm assuming) thing placement. Could always go further and make layout changes: add things, remove things, less doors, get rid of the scripting, and so on. Some loose guidelines.

That is, if DM is important. It's just that I don't think anyone will ever DM on these maps in their current state. And of course such an undertaking will take longer than a month.

Honestly DM probably isn't that important on the whole.  Mostly the starts just need to be there in case someone out there decides to try out deathmatch (and for consistencies sake).  So I'd say its up to the author on how they would like to handle it.  Having a completely separate/bare layout for DM is a good way to go about it through.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:15 AM, Kaal979 said:

Would it be possible to have unique texture names for the new skies? 

Because the D64TD2 mod has individual replacements for D2 TNT and Plutonia. 

And D64D2 uses the names of Doom2s skies what although not odd just appears 

abit unspectacular compared to the original ones.  

I can't change the actual sky texture names and have them work in vanilla unfortunately.  I can change the patch names if that will help address mod compatibility.

On 12/23/2017 at 5:52 PM, dt_ said:

Do tell me where you think it needs facelifting, I think I agree with you but not sure exactly where.  Skill modes will still need a bit of balancing work but the map should function 100% now

Thanks for the update dt_!  I haven't seen this version just yet, but I thought you mostly just needed some texture alignment attention.  It looks great otherwise.  If you'd like, I can send you more detailed feedback, or I could go through and do some clean-up work for you (just minor stuff or more if you'd like).

On 12/22/2017 at 10:26 AM, DeXiaZ said:

My friend SCD (who helped me with PSX Arch-Vile sounds) asked me to post his opinion (due to he's not registered here yet):

I checked out the latest version of Doom 64 for Doom II: Respwaned, there's several things that you and the rest of the team should change in the final release:

Give the Nightmare Imps the regular Imp fireball, but make them translucent like the monster itself.

Make the Nightmare Cacodemon's fireball translucent like the monster itself.

Use the multicolored PSX fire skies for the maps that uses the fire sky as their skybox.

Is the Supreme Being a temporally placement for the Mother Demon until the sprites for it are done?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Classic version of the unused Doom 64 enemy the Hell Hound added to this mod.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the four exclusive maps from the Absolution TC added to this mod as well.

Well, I like the idea about translucent fireballs with recolor. It should remind original D64 style even more. Don't know about other things...

I'll just rattle off my thoughts on each one.

- Can't do this in vanilla dehacked without giving it the Imp's original attack, but I'm gonna do something similar in the decorate (recolored Imp fireball to replace the Caco attack).  Also fuzzy projectiles seem like a really bad idea.

- Ditto ^

- Can't be done in vanilla unfortunately.  I did add a warping effect to the fire skies in ZDoom though (haven't heard if they look dumb or good yet).

- It's temporary only in the sense that if nothing better gets made or comes forward, it will probably be the final sprite because its "good enough".

- Can't really be done at this point.  Even if it could, it wouldn't really fit the theme of the project.

- Perhaps if we had a bit more time, I'd considered doing those maps as a bonus add-on pack.  It could still be done after the project is released though.

On 12/25/2017 at 7:25 AM, DeXiaZ said:

XEPqAqX.png

I appreciate the effort!  The idea looks neat, but its not much better in its frakenstein-ness than the Supreme Fiend I'd say.  Also I'm kind of stuck on the idea of the Motherdemon being based off of the Spider Mastermind in some way just because it fits so well, thematically speaking, with the project.  I'm thinking about talking with Cage to see what we can do.

On 12/25/2017 at 1:01 PM, Da Werecat said:

Would anyone mind if I tinkered with Alpha Quadrant?

Of course I don't mind, but try to get a hold of @Archvile Hunter and see if he's cool with it.

@damo2k Thank you again for the hosting and COOP testing help!  Hopefully all of the voodoo dolls work properly now.

*edit*

Got the bug tracker updated finally.  Please let me know if I missed anything.  And also if you've updated your map and fixed a bug in the tracker, but I haven't removed the entry, please let me know about that as well.

Edited by Mechadon

6 hours ago, Mechadon said:

I can't change the actual sky texture names and have them work in vanilla unfortunately.  I can change the patch names if that will help address mod compatibility.

Well - then maybe i will change TD2s D2

skies for all such mapsets too later on .. . 

9 hours ago, Mechadon said:

I appreciate the effort!  The idea looks neat, but its not much better in its frakenstein-ness than the Supreme Fiend I'd say.  Also I'm kind of stuck on the idea of the Motherdemon being based off of the Spider Mastermind in some way just because it fits so well, thematically speaking, with the project.  I'm thinking about talking with Cage to see what we can do.

My friend SCD found this:

8C154Q2.png

Somebody did this Mother Demon's recreation for the Vanilla Doom. But I don't know who did this and where SCD got this. I've asked him already, waiting for the reply. But I suppose that's from ZDoom Spriting Carnival thread...

UPD: After google searching I've found author - raymoohawk. I'll ask him

Edited by DeXiaZ

Those sprites are not related to the Mother Demon or Doom 64 at all. Like your previous post about your AEOD-like mod. Just flooding here, eh?

Could it be youre abit lazy

about summoning monsters? 

P.S.: And yes - imo old Doom

always had very ancient fantasy-ish

temple architectures

without comparable monsters. 

Edited by Kaal979