Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Thanks for the testing help Valboom!  Have you tried it without Brutal Doom to see if there's a conflict?  That particular switch makes use of a voodoo doll, and you may need to set GZDoom up to use the Doom (strict) compatibility mode.  I'm not sure how well that will work with Brutal Doom or other mods.

Alright, I spent some time today tweaking the maps @damo2k mentioned, as well as adding COOP monsters/items to a few other maps.  There's a couple extra map updates in this build that was going to be released with v8 too (since I had already found and fixed a couple of things since v7's release).  So I'm just calling this v7b.

D64D2 Build V7b [4.1M] (Changelog)

Here are separate links to the updated maps.

Staging Area v5 (now has COOP things and a new secret)

Alpha Quadrant v1 (fix w/ coop) (adds proper COOP starts and fixes the annoying sector movement sounds)

No Escape v5 (very minor visual-related update)

The Lair v4 (adds COOP things and fixes stuff from the bug tracker)

Hectic v5 (adds COOP-only blockable objects to the easy exit and addresses a few of the bug tracker items)

In The Void v4 (adds COOP monsters/items, difficulty levels, some tweaked gameplay, fixes a VPO and a nasty SEGS overflow, and addresses bug tracker items)

As usual, please let me know about any show-stopping bugs and I will try to get a fixed build up as quickly as I can :)

Edited by Mechadon

Looks like the first half of the maps are appearing on TNS tomorrow!

That's right, first half of the wad will be played tomorrow on TNS and we would like to extend the invitation to all of you that worked on this project.

The session starts at 19:00 GMT and you can expect it to be fairly active with 15+ players for at least 4 hours.

Minor thing we noticed on map01, there is a soilder in a funny place:

OTYsk1m.png

Also in coop, 2 sargents do not come out of their closets. rhinoduck days that this is due to tele lines are w1 set instead of wr.

Heh, that's definitely thanks to my super-quick COOP placements :P.  Thanks for spotting both of those bugs, I'll get them noted in the bug tracker.

11 hours ago, damo2k said:

One of these midi's for map33? :-P https://www.khinsider.com/midi/n64/doom-64 They aren't mine, by the way!

I'll check these out, thanks!  A music track for MAP33 won't work for vanilla as far as I'm aware, but I can get it to work in other ports :)

6 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

That's right, first half of the wad will be played tomorrow on TNS and we would like to extend the invitation to all of you that worked on this project.

The session starts at 19:00 GMT and you can expect it to be fairly active with 15+ players for at least 4 hours.

Awesome!  I will try my best to show up!

So hey, we're about halfway through January!  Just want to make sure everyone is on board with the deadline for the end of this month.  If you have any work left to be done, please let me know if your not able to finish it up within the deadline.  When we're about a week or so within the end of the month, I will have to start doing updates myself for anything that needs it.

I'm going to need the remaining map updates in very soon.  There will [probably] be one final test build before the deadline, and I would really like the get the remaining bugs fixed and features in that build.  I don't have a set date in mind just yet, but try to get your updates in to me sooner rather than later.

@Memfis Thanks for the report Memfis!  I'm going to hazard a guess and say that is not intended since its so easy to pull off.  So I'll be sure to get that addressed.

@damo2k Hey, I'm watching through the TNS vids that @Rosh Fragger uploaded, and I just had a question if you can answer it.  Was there a problem exiting MAP02?  It jumped from the middle of that map to MAP03, so I wasn't sure if it was a map change or just a jump in the vid.  There were a few other jump cuts in both vids, so I just want to make sure there weren't any major issues with them.

I've already fixed and noted what bugs I could find from both vids.  If there are any other that you guys came across, please let me know!

Edited by Mechadon

21 hours ago, Mechadon said:

@damo2k Hey, I'm watching through the TNS vids that @Rosh Fragger uploaded, and I just had a question if you can answer it.  Was there a problem exiting MAP02?  It jumped from the middle of that map to MAP03, so I wasn't sure if it was a map change or just a jump in the vid.  There were a few other jump cuts in both vids, so I just want to make sure there weren't any major issues with them.

Hey, I meant to post this earlier.

From the TNS play through of the first half of the maps:

map02 - A player was able to exit the map very early, he said he could run to exit switch over ledge

map06 - player got stuck here somehow

w8d8yuE.png

map08 - hallow pillars - players can fall into them and get stuck

UHMtMR4.png

Thanks for the reports as always!  I've already fixed the issues in MAP02 and MAP06 (was able to see them from the vids).  I'm pretty sure I updated the voodoo doll in MAP08 so it would work in ZDaemon, but there's a possibility that I forgot to update the main build with it or something (or if I accidentally broke something else).

I'm working on putting together the readme file.  So far I've got a big chunk of it done, but I need a bit more info from people (I've already sent out PMs to some of you).  To all mappers: if you used something other than DB2/GZDB for mapping, please let me know.

Here's the current w.i.p. readme file; please glance over it and let me know about any typos or missing credits/info: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/D64D2/releases/d64d2-wipreadme.txt

I've decided that v8 will probably be released on Wednesday 24th.  That's a week from the end of January and gives us a little less than a week from today to get final map updates/features in.  If all goes well, we can do the final release on or around the 31st (although I know from experience that it probably won't be final :P).  So just as a reminder, here's who I need updates from:

@DILDOMASTER666 Need music choice for MAP01.

@Da Werecat Need music choices for MAP04, MAP09, and MAP10.  Need updated MAP09 and MAP10 (not sure about that bug report on MAP09).  Also need updated MAP08 if possible (and music for it, probably should get @Archvile Hunter thoughts on that as well).

@Megalyth Need updated MAP18 and music choice for it as well.

@_bruce_ Need updated MAP21 and MAP24 (see bug tracker) as well as music choices for both maps.

@TwinBeast Need updates on MAP31 (see bug tracker) and also music choice for this map.

For anyone who is knowledgeable about midi music in vanilla, I could use some help figuring out some bugs.  MAP32's music doesn't seem to loop properly for some reason.  And the intermission music has been reported as broken in vanilla as well (not sure what the problem was though).  Also there has been reports of music not playing properly in OPL2 (see the bottom of the bug tracker for specific tracks that were reported).  There's has been some oddities with the music reported in ZDaemon for MAP30 and MAP07.

Finally I've got more map updates to dump, oh boy!  These are all bug fixes from what I can recall (and some COOP additions I forgot to include).

Tech Center v5

The Lair v5

Staging Area v6

Outpost Omega v5

Even Simpler v8

The Bleeding v8

Dark Citadel v8

Unholy Temple v6

No Escape v6

The Terraformer v6

And here's a special MAP33 update as well.  I got this one working in vanilla limits, though I had to make some pretty big cut-backs and changes.

Title v3

Edited by Mechadon

All the trap items in the Map31 start room are intended to be takeable, count as secrets. Should the soul sphere be more difficult to take? Doing something to the level now...

6 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

All the trap items in the Map31 start room are intended to be takeable, count as secrets. Should the soul sphere be more difficult to take? Doing something to the level now...

I would say its ultimately up to you.  Personally I think the way you've got them set up right now is fine.  Also be sure to edit the latest version I linked to since I had to make some edits for COOP in the latest build (I fixed a few of the bugs for you too).

Oh, something else to consider - whatever music you choose for the map will be used in the endgame casting call.  Its not a big deal but we should try to make to make the music work in both the map and the ending if possible.

Thanks!

Ok, here's a new version http://www.mediafire.com/file/x4l2ue60e8niyl3/TwinBeast_Hectic_v006.wad

Adds some more coop enemies and stuff. The level also opens up in deathmatch (and when grabbing the plasma & bfg at the end), there's some teleporters and passages between the 3 areas.

Listened the midis from the list last night.. have to listen again later to make a decision.

Thank you very much for the map update TwinBeast!

Regarding music again, if none of the custom tracks work for you, feel free to pull something from the Iwads.  We can also reuse tracks if need be, or swap tracks around from another map if something better works out.  Just let me know.

Edited by Mechadon

Hey guys, just wanted to bump this as a heads-up for this coming v8 release on Wednesday.  I would really like this release to be feature-complete if possible.  Basically that means all the maps are finished and all of the bugs are fixed (that can be fixed).  I'll push the release back if need be in order to make this version as complete as possible.  But if you can, try to get your updates in to me before then.

Cage is working on a custom Motherdemon sprite and we're both hoping that he'll be able to finish it off.  No promises, but that might end up being a nice cherry on top once the project releases!

There's one little thing that needs to be addressed if Cage is able to finish up the sprites.  We'll need to figure out what to do about the sound effects.  Currently we're just using the regular Mastermind sounds since the current sprite is just a silly floating...uh, Mastermind :P.  There's a few options available to us.  The easy one is to just rip the D64 Motherdemon sounds; this will probably be the last resort since it kind of goes against the project's current feel.  Another option is to pull sounds from wherever we can and mush them together into something new.  Lastly, and maybe the most ideal option, is to create something entirely new.

The absolute best I can do is to mush together existing sounds to create horrible abominations :P.  So I'm wondering if there's anyone around here who might be interested and skilled enough to make vanilla-styled Motherdemon sound effects?

Funny, a month ago I was still hoping to work on the skies some more after finishing with the maps. Maps have taken the priority because I thought they were in worse shape than the skies.

On 1/18/2018 at 7:26 PM, Mechadon said:

And the intermission music has been reported as broken in vanilla

I said when I uploaded that MIDI that the song doesn't play ok on Vanilla because it has way too many notes playing at the same time. That's why I provided a simplified version of it.

Chocolate Doom is very permissive when it comes to OPL emulation, so you don't hear any problem with the song until you play it on Vanilla. In theory, using the variable DMXOPTION=-opl3 should make the music sound better, but so far I've never seen a real sound card supporting that (and I've tried at least 4, including a Sound Blaster Pro 2), only DOSBox.

The simplified version doesn't sound as good as the normal, but it should play a lot better on Vanilla.

Since I won't be able to finish anything important in the following days, I decided to:

holding area

Replaced MP cacos with elementals on a whim, and set them free by removing impassable flags. They're typically useless in vanilla, but I doubt many people would use vanilla to play this in coop.

research lab

Scattered some MP-only blue keys in accessible areas. Changed some lines around the original blue key - it's easier to pick it up without triggering the bridge, but I was concerned about the opposite.

Thank you very much for the map updates Da Werecat!  Did anyone figure out why COOP players couldn't trigger the BK bridge?  I guess a more brute-force fix for COOP is a fine way to get around it though.

Any idea on how long it will take you to finish up the Alpha Quadrant update?  I can push back this build release since it sounds like you won't be able to get it done by then.  Let me know, I'm here to help out with it if you need me.

Also regarding the sky textures, I'd say a month or two ago the maps were in the position of needing more attention.  Although I'm pretty happy with the sky textures as they are, even though I recycled the E2 sky foreground for the color variants I made.

@CoTeCiO I'll have to go back through the thread to make sure I'm using your simplified version.  It seems like I got my wires crossed and thought the current track being used was the one that was borked in vanilla (just checked, it was because I didn't use the simplified version).  Thanks for the clarification :)

Edited by Mechadon

Sorry for the double-reply, but I wanted to get some feedback on some Motherdemon sound effects that I cobbled together today.

mothersfxv1.zip

I am a complete amateur when it comes to sound effects.  Basically these are just me fiddling with various stock animal sounds and playing around with some of Audacity's filters.  I'm curious what you guys think.

One problem that I'm aware of, but cannot fix, is the low volume.  They are a lot softer than the vanilla sound effects, but I can't seem to beef them up without parts of them clipping everywhere.  Anyone know how I can fix that?  Ideally someone more skilled then me can take these and make them better (or just make new ones entirely).

Boss stuff:

Spoiler

Nice use of the flinch state to give the monster two attacks :) I seem to recall reading somewhere that doing that can crash vanilla if the monster doesn't have a target set, but presumably that hasn't been a problem in this case?

Also I'm kinda sad you didn't use the motherdemon's sprites :(

OB_MOTHER = "%o stood in awe of the Motherdemon.";
OB_NITIMPHIT = "%o was scratched by a Nightmare Imp.";
OB_NITIMP = "%o was burnt by a Nightmare Imp.";
OB_NITCACOHIT = "%o was scratched by a Nightmare Imp.";
OB_NITCACO = "%o was burnt by a Nightmare Imp.";

Eh?

Yes that's called a bug :P.  Thanks I'll get it fixed!  *edit*  Just checked, looks like its only like that in the resource wad...probably not worth releasing an update for that to be honest.  I should probably release one final resource wad update with version 8 though, so it'll get fixed in that.

Speaking of the v8 release, I think I'm going to delay it a bit since I'm waiting on some map updates.

@Grain of Salt Glad you like the Motherdemon behavior!  I've heard the same about pain state 'attacks', but it hasn't caused any problems [yet].  Also I'm trying to stay away from ripping assets directly from Doom 64, and the Motherdemon sprites clash horribly with Doom's style.  Cage is working on some brand new sprites though, so hopefully we'll get something entirely new that will look great and mesh well with the vanilla art style.

Edited by Mechadon