Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Nice, thank you very much CoTeCiO, I'll get all of this updated now :).  If your still interested in doing a demo for the opening carousel, I'll send you a PM once the time comes (you can pick from these maps - Main Engineering, Even Simpler, and Watch Your Step).

3 hours ago, Mechadon said:

Nice, thank you very much CoTeCiO, I'll get all of this updated now :).  If your still interested in doing a demo for the opening carousel, I'll send you a PM once the time comes (you can pick from these maps - Main Engineering, Even Simpler, and Watch Your Step).

Of course! I'd really like to do one for Watch Your Step. That's one of my favorite Doom 64 maps!

Are there any rules regarding the demos? Like length or how they should end? 

On 11/02/2018 at 11:50 AM, Da Werecat said:

MAP31 Hectic

Launching the soul sphere crusher reveals the health potion nearby. Looks slightly broken. Could make sector 222 match the size of the potion, then it will stay in place.

Having an empty, rattling DM layout open up in SP is confusing at best.

Tried with chocolate-doom, prboom-plus and zdoom, and the soul sphere crusher doesn't do anything to the health potion. The idea was that the health potion isn't visible when the floor is up, but appears lowering with the floor when the secret switch has been found.

Ideally the DM area wouldn't open in SP or Coop. But if no one has spawned in the DM area in DM game, then someone will probably go for the BFG in the exit room and then the DM area opens up.

Fixed the other issues. Now wondering about these two...

15 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Of course! I'd really like to do one for Watch Your Step. That's one of my favorite Doom 64 maps!

Are there any rules regarding the demos? Like length or how they should end? 

You got it!  I'll shoot you a message when its time.

About rules...I guess try to make it somewhat short and entertaining?  And I would probably stay away from secret areas to avoid spoilers.  Other than that though, record it however you'd like.

Finally I can take care of the remaining sections of the super secret.

-did a redesign of the starting section which I'll keep as a fallback piece since I like the original design better(interesting as I thought the original was bleak)

-managed to create a "Hall Of The Ancients"-feel for the welcoming section of said part

-refined hall

-detail added to enhance the suprise

-mini texture pack cleaned up

-added hub at starting area

-cleaned up the castle(huge section where nasty alignment issues can creep in fast)

-added some lighting and crude architecture to fill out the main hall visually

-added one of the gimmick-fights(pun on *****)

redo:

+last section so that it resolves around the map's theme

+add some gimmicky fights

+whole latter section battle

+"stylish" connection to Map25

Edited by _bruce_

Skies are a fucking nightmare. ZDoom and Eternity want different things. I'll have to create duplicate definitions that are cut differently, and TEXTURE1 is already a mess.

If you can get it to work in a way that looks correct in both ZDoom and Eternity, that would be good.  But I wouldn't stress too much if it is that much of a nightmare.  We should probably make sure they look correct in ZDoom foremost (since I imagine that will be the most used port).

Here's Hectic with the missing secret switch sounds, the secret for the shotgun changed... and one version with the health potion with the lowering effect and another without it. The exit room line for opening up the DM area is still in both.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7d9d94o4cvqv49a/TwinBeast_Hectic_v008a.wad - with health potion lower effect

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5mz1xgmo74jzb66/TwinBeast_Hectic_v008b.wad - without...

So I've just had an idea it may be too late for, but since we're using DeHackEd to incorporate things that were new to D64, maybe that could include the double bladed chainsaw? There are already sprites of it in vanilla style, and the rest is as simple as doubling the damage. Does anyone know if it might affect how any of the maps are balanced?

Edit: Thought about it a little more and now I'm not as sure, because I can see it raising questions of where the line should be drawn. More aggressive Lost Souls? Pain Elementals that spit them out two at a time? Having something Unmaker-esque completely replace the BFG? Maybe the thought of some of those made a few people out there think "hecks yeah," but I've decided I'd prefer things to stay as they are.

Edit: Maybe it could work as an optional bonus patch like Obituary's weapons but I probably wouldn't be able to make it and I wouldn't want anyone who could to feel obligated to.

Edited by SiFi270 : I hate being disagreed with so I'm getting it all out of the way now or something

7 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

So I've just had an idea it may be too late for, but since we're using DeHackEd to incorporate things that were new to D64, maybe that could include the double bladed chainsaw? There are already sprites of it in vanilla style, and the rest is as simple as doubling the damage. Does anyone know if it might affect how any of the maps are balanced?

Edit: Thought about it a little more and now I'm not as sure, because I can see it raising questions of where the line should be drawn. More aggressive Lost Souls? Pain Elementals that spit them out two at a time? Having something Unmaker-esque completely replace the BFG? Maybe the thought of some of those made a few people out there think "hecks yeah," but I've decided I'd prefer things to stay as they are.

Edit: Maybe it could work as an optional bonus patch like Obituary's weapons but I probably wouldn't be able to make it and I wouldn't want anyone who could to feel obligated to.

The double-bladed chainsaw is an interesting idea. Maybe they could include it just as a cosmetic change and keep the original behavior to avoid breaking weapon balance. The rest of the things you mentioned are too late to implement and some others deviate from the original concept of the project. We wanted to put Doom 64 maps into Doom II, not try to emulate Doom 64 in vanilla. And getting rid of the BFG for the Unmaker? Oh no! I don't really conceive Doom without the BFG!

@Nevander wanted to do a spin-off project of this for ZDoom and some of your ideas might be ok for inclusion in that project, and are far easier to pull off in that engine than in Vanilla.

I would love to see a Vanilla version of the Doom 64 Pain Elemental, but I don't think anyone has done such a thing yet.

I wouldn't be a fan of a cosmetic double chainsaw. Players wouldn't really know what to expect from it when they pick it up, and I think it still behaving the same would be kind of a disappointment for them. Back when Smooth Doom's D64 weapons behaved the same as their vanilla counterparts, the D64 chainsaw was the only one I didn't have enabled for that reason.

As for Pain Elementals, I wasn't sure if DeHackEd allowed you to change which part of a monster the projectiles came from, so I thought it'd be more practical to have them look the same and spit out two in quick succession as opposed to one on each side. But as I've already said, what I really want now is for those ideas of mine to be ignored and things to stay as they are.

Post-production.

It's pretty much a finished megawad at this point, so dying isn't really an option, but we're waiting on some of the optional art assets being done (and also doing minor tweaking in the meantime).

Surprise update time!

No, the project is obviously not dead.  The inactivity is due to a couple of things.  First off, I severely needed a break after finishing up my vinesauce contest map.  Secondly, there's really not much left to do at this point, content-wise.  The big one is the Motherdemon; Cage sent me some rough sprites recently and I've got it working in the dehacked now.  He's just gotta clean them up and add some more details, and it should be done.  So that's why the thread is so quiet...apart from reporting bugs, there's not much left to talk about right now.

There are a couple of map updates I'm still waiting on (one is a big one from @_bruce_ which may require some extra testing before release).  The bug tracker is pretty empty now save for a few things that are going to be addressed soon.  So on the mapping front, there's really nothing substantial left to do (apart from continued testing until the release).

I still can't give a definite release date since we might run into unforeseen issues.  But it came to my attention recently that Doom 64 released on March 31st (in the U.S. at least).  So maybe we'll shoot for it to drop then if everything goes well?

Once the current build gets to a state where everything is mostly complete, I will probably send out another test candidate.  There's been more changes made than I anticipated, so we're going to need some extra testing time before release.  It won't be a public build, but if your serious about helping test, let me know and I'll send a link your way.

Some notes for mappers who may be working on their entries

• Please avoid using thing type Hanging Victim, 1-legged (blocking) [type 51] & Hanging par of legs (blocking) [type 52].  I've had to replace these in the dehacked for some new objects.  The first is a special 'monster' that doesn't get removed when playing the map with -nomonsters (which is needed for MAP02).  The second is an infinitely exploding object that I'm going to be using in place of barrels in the voodoo dolls.

Some bugs below I need help with

• Music is playing incorrectly for some people in MAP14 in vanilla/choco?  I need to double-check on my end...anyone shed some light here?  And any thoughts on a replacement track if we need to go that far?
  • Similar music issue in MAP32, no idea what the problem is (this one as a problem with looping).  I would hate to replace this track since it fits the map so well and is a nice nod to an original Doom 64 track.
  • I need to figure out a way to deal with the BossBrain/DemonSpawner sound effects.  They need to be silent, but my methods haven't worked out so far (1st was a silent sfx rendered out in Audacity but that caused faint static...2nd was a blank sfx ripped from somewhere but that only works in Chocolate, it makes popping sounds in other ports).
  • For anyone with ZDoom editing knowledge out there, I've made an updated ending casting call to include the new monsters.  The Motherdemon has an issue where her sight sound gets cut off right as she appears on the screen.  Any ideas how to fix that?

On 2/25/2018 at 4:20 PM, SiFi270 said:

I think you kinda answered your own question here already, but I'll address it in case anyone else is interested.  Shortly after this project was restarted, we put out a build with some experimental dehacked changes similar to this (slightly faster Chaingun, more aggressive Lost Souls, etc).  After playing around with it, the sentiment I got from that was that it changed too much and deviated too far from the goal of "making the Doom 64 maps in Doom II" (which I agreed with).  The project straddles the line with that goal already with the inclusion of some monster variants and other things.  So yea, stuff like that isn't really something that fits well with the goals of the project, I think.  If someone wants to make mods for this project after the fact that changes stuff up, I'm totally cool with that.

Edited by Mechadon

Quickly respawning myself out of the void to say I'm glad to see that this project got seen through to the point it's at now. Thank you Mechadon, for seeing this project through to its completion.

11 hours ago, Death Egg said:

Quickly respawning myself out of the void to say I'm glad to see that this project got seen through to the point it's at now. Thank you Mechadon, for seeing this project through to its completion.

From a single map to a full megawad with content no short of being professional. This is truly proof of the power of the Doom community and one of the reasons it's still alive and why I love this game so much.

Thank you for that very first step of making MAP01! I hope you like the end product once it's released!

Map24's "SuperSecret" is making progress.

I had many errors/delays due to map size but confining the "goods" to a nice square box seems to be working.

Thank you very much Megalyth!

So that leaves 2 big things that I need before the release - @_bruce_'s super secret update and the Motherdemon.  There's smaller stuff that still needs to be addressed as well.  But its safe to say that once those 2 things are done, the release will come shortly after.

The Lair needs work, at the very least. It has things that shouldn't exist in a 1.0 release. You can't max it because some secret sectors are inaccessible. And you can fall into an illusio-pit where the rocket launcher's at.

There's a bunch of smaller things that, ideally, require some attention. I tinkered with the map, but I didn't ask for permission, and I haven't dealt with everything anyway, at least not just yet.

Please report all of the bugs so we can get it fixed.  We'll focus just on bug fixes for now, I'd rather not dig into doing any more than that.

There's also sky occluding tall decorations around the start area when you look from the courtyard, if that counts as a bug. And a thing I already reported: ugly lighting in the cave, easily fixable.

What I haven't fixed yet is some untidy "scripting" and the fact that the eponymous lair looks like a 1994 cave, but I don't have a clear idea for what to do with the latter.

I'm not sure if @DILDOMASTER666 wants to take a stab at making fixes to the map or not.  But since you've already [presumably] made some changes, would you mind going through with fixing everything?  I think it would be best to stay away from making major aesthetic or gameplay changes though, unless we get permission.  If you don't have the time/interest in doing it though, I'll go ahead and update it.

No update on the final release yet guys.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer though!  I'm thinking about distributing a private test release sometime next week even if the Motherdemon and _bruce_'s map update aren't finished.  The changelog for the final release is longer than I anticipated, and I really feel like some of the changes (ie. the new voodoo doll setups) really need to be checked out before it goes out the door.  Like I said before, if your interested in helping test this final build, please get in touch with me.

Not a lot of interest at this point, but since I already started, I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Also, here are some of the art assets I worked on before losing most of my inspiration (again). This one was supposed to become the first intermission map:

YDNcWki.png

It's a Martian crater, but I picked it for its resemblance of the classic Phobos double crater as shown in Doom. There were supposed to be tiny buildings spread across the bigger crater, and the smaller crater would look like a city of sorts and represent maps 7-11. The idea for the light poles I added to the tall version of the sky originated here.

If it looks squashed - that's because it is, but it would look normal in the game.

o2fOyJN.png

And this one is a test version of a new sky variation that I was making specifically for The Bleeding. I might actually be able to finish it. I considered it very unfinished, but it looks better than I remembered.

The sky with the bridge is truly cool.

I still have to make the O and the Baron rooms. After that there's not that much left to be done with the SS, BUT the lengthy part could be the testing/"sense"-making.

If you want to Mecha, you could design one of the gimmick parts(demon/spectre) which will then be fused into the remaining map.

It would, of course, be updated looks-wise to fit the rest.