Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

21 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

Hey these are great!  I'll happily add them to the first post.  Nice work @Terraformer9x, thanks for taking the time to make them :)

I've updated the wad with your new BOSSBACK graphic and tweaked the file name a bit.  The file is being hosted on my webspace.  If you want to setup a mirror link to it, send it my way and I'll get it posted.

Thanks and you're welcome! :D

I'll get a mirror set up shortly.

Hello @Mechadon,

Thanks for your project - I really enjoyed the ride.

I saw packaging and a floppy disk for the project in @Dexiaz's trailer, which I really liked. Are these available as images to download?

Many thanks and best regards

5 hours ago, talond66 said:

I saw packaging and a floppy disk for the project in @Dexiaz's trailer, which I really liked. Are these available as images to download?

Sorry, I don't understand which images you want to download. The "boxart" is just GFX used directly from the PWAD.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mechadon said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest.  It's been a while since I've messed with anything related to the project, so please bear with me.  I believe the widescreen statusbars were only meant to work in ports like GZDoom.  I do remember having issues with them in Zandronum (pretty sure I made a bug report about it too, so maybe it got addressed at some point).  I dug through PrBoom+'s options, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to get wide-screen statusbars or graphics to work.  I did the same with Eternity and had the same results.

Maybe wide-screen graphics for those ports would be a good feature request?  Unless I'm missing something and they are already supported.

The latest version of dsda-doom now has support for it, so I'm good.  Thanks for getting back to me!

Out of curiosity, is there a way to modify MAP02 in SLADE without breaking it?

I want to enable the extra multiplayer monsters in single-player, but doing so in MAP02 causes softlocks, such as the Terraformer not activating.

44 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to modify MAP02 in SLADE without breaking it?

I want to enable the extra multiplayer monsters in single-player, but doing so in MAP02 causes softlocks, such as the Terraformer not activating.

In PrBoom+um and dsda-doom, there's a -coop_spawns parameter that will enable the coop thing placements without having to modify the map. There's also the -solo-net parameter, which also works in older versions of PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom, that simulates a coop game with one player (including multiplayer behavior such as respawning after death and weapons not disappearing after picking them up). GZDoom also lets you load a map in multiplayer mode, e.g. "map map02 coop" in the console.

@Shepardus Thanks, I might try that.

However, I only care about the extra monsters: Doom 64's early levels are way too generous in terms of supplies. Even editing the more powerful power-ups or replacing them with lesser ones seems to break MAP02 for some reason.

Also, it seems that enabling multiplayer-only Pain Elementals causes them to be unable to spawn Lost Souls.

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Also, it seems that enabling multiplayer-only Pain Elementals causes them to be unable to spawn Lost Souls.

That's due to a limitation on vanilla Doom that Pain Elementals won't spawn Lost Souls if there are already more than 20 of them in the map. You can see that same limitation on Doom II's MAP09 in Ultra-Violence, there's a Pain Elemental near one of the lifts that will be unable to attack you.

Really? That is odd. I am using GZDoom and the 'Limit Pain Elementals' Lost Souls' option is set to "No".

I had a quick question regarding the four maps which have Boom-compatible versions (02, 19, 27, and 30).  Are there any noticeable differences in the maps that would indicate which version is being used?  I'm experimenting a bit in DSDA-Doom and wanted to know what would happen if I loaded one of these maps using -complevel 9.

I'm pretty sure the lone difference between the vanilla and boom maps are the conveyor belt voodoo dolls.  Aside from that, the maps should be identical.  The only other difference between them are the map lump names (ie. MAP02 vs. MAP02B).

Considering the more advanced scripting Doom 64 uses, Boom's Voodoo scripts would probably be a necessity for more vanilla-focused source ports. If this is a GZDoom only project (couldn't be fucked to read lmao), I could probably recreate Doom 64 in Boom as a side project from the megawad I am currently developing 🤔

It might be nice to have a version of Doom 64 that can record demos since neither D64EX nor the Nightdive remaster do so. 

5 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Considering the more advanced scripting Doom 64 uses, Boom's Voodoo scripts would probably be a necessity for more vanilla-focused source ports. If this is a GZDoom only project (couldn't be fucked to read lmao), I could probably recreate Doom 64 in Boom as a side project from the megawad I am currently developing 🤔

It might be nice to have a version of Doom 64 that can record demos since neither D64EX nor the Nightdive remaster do so. 

This is a vanilla-compatible wad.

Oh, cool! 

Wonder how the scripting works, then?

Oh, cool! 

No idea what just happened there. Sorry about that 0_0

43 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Imitated by vanilla tricks. Some of scripts were simplified or not implemented at all (like earthquake effect)

Since the ACE Doom is released, I've decided to create an experiment.

Now it's possible to play D64D2 in DOS/DOSbox with all weapons + Unmaker.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:02 AM, Dexiaz said:

Since the ACE Doom is released, I've decided to create an experiment.

Now it's possible to play D64D2 in DOS/DOSbox with all weapons + Unmaker.

is there a download?

On 6/15/2023 at 4:08 AM, The Dommo said:

is there a download?

Not yet, it was a test of my possibilities in ACE Engine.

Making only Unmaker is not enough. The whole D64D2 is based on Dehacked. And now I need to create everything from scratch in simplified Decorate. It will take some time.

Since the thread got bumped, I take this as an opportunity to ask about a still-unresolved question of mine:

Is there a way to modify maps like MAP02 in SLADE without breaking them? I want to enable the extra multiplayer monsters in single-player without the extra items, but doing so in MAP02 causes softlocks, such as the Terraformer not activating. Even using a difficulty mod that makes it so Nightmare! replaces some items (à la Doom 64: Retribution's "Doomslayer" mode) causes this to happen.

Must be something with the voodoo closets. If you only need to modify objects, it might be a good idea to do that without recompiling the nodes. I don't know if any editor allows to do that easily, but it could be done manually by combining lumps from the saved map and the unmodified map.

I don’t know that I’ve ever posted in this thread before, but since it’s been bumped, I’ll jump in - guys, years later this is still one of my all-time favorite megawads. I can’t count the number of times I’ve replayed it. Obviously a lot of credit is due to the original team at Midway for their great level design, but even past that you all did such an amazing job translating it over to Doom II, somehow maintaining (and in some places improving on!) the original atmosphere with largely just vanilla textures, and the combat is solid throughout. I don’t think there’s a single level I dislike here. A massive thanks to all involved for this effort of love - you knocked it out of the park. 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:24 AM, Dexiaz said:

Sometimes, reading mesages like @nayoz post, I'm feeling that people don't understand how Vanilla Doom works at all.

replaying to this after 3 years ^^

i am "lurking" around to check if the last version of this mod is the 1.4, i am always interested in playing the lost levels if mechadon wants to make them :D

after playing hexen, i got the idea to use the same mechanic of tier4 "fragmented" weapon to reconstruct the unique d64 weapon.

basically, when you kill a boss type monster, baron or cyberdemon or mastermind or motherdemon there is a chance to drop 1 of the 3 demonic keys, and once you pickup all 3 of them, you get the unique doom64 weapon fully upgraded !

also i made a little tweak to that weapon: if you press fire you get a concentrated railgun sniper shot, if you hold fire you get the classic behaviour with laser spreading

i also decided to make this weapon consume "souls" instead of "cells"... souls are gained 1 for each kill, max 666, the weapon consumes 2 souls per shot

the soulcube consumes 111 souls per shot, you "guide it" aiming at the monster you want to hit, and kills it while giving back life.

you start with the soulcube, if you get lucky and you assemble the unique d64 weapon, you also get that option to consume souls, until then you can use the soulcube if you feel you need health, there is an hard monster, too many monsters, or if you are capping the max ammo of souls.

at the moment i am testing the compatibility of D64forD2, i already played other titles sometimes i need to create an extra pk3 file for compatibility, like i did here.

i was forgetting to say: i added the double barrel shotgun in doom1 by substituting it only to the shotgun that is found on the ground.

so if you kill the possessed shotgun guy you get the shotgun, if you pickup the shotgun from the ground, placed by the level designer, then you get the double barrel shotgun.

edit:

in case someone is interested, i post here the compatibility patch i made to use my mod with this mappack/wad

https://www.mediafire.com/file/f16cn5trlq74kmy/DOOM64d2_compatibility_patch.zip/file

all in one: my mod + bat file with all settings, and all files required to run d64d2 in a compatible way with my mod ^^

Edited by dremor8484