Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

10 hours ago, Bashe said:

That was only true of the version I played at the time, which was v1.0. That got fixed for 1.1, but perhaps reintroduced somehow recently?

Yeah, I guess. I am on v1.3 and I am definitely still getting the crash, no matter what I do (I have double checked to see if the dehacked patch was installed correctly, still crashes)

13 hours ago, Bashe said:

That was only true of the version I played at the time, which was v1.0. That got fixed for 1.1, but perhaps reintroduced somehow recently?

ups , i forgot about the updates xD sorry . then i have no idea , well you can still use mbf 2.04 until a new patch fixes this issue

I'm out of town right now, so I don't have access to my computer to check the deh file.  Could someone else confirm that the Motherdemon is broke in dos doom?  Maybe pull the deh file from the v1.2 zip and run it with the v1.3 wad.  Its possible I updated the wrong zip because I didn't touch the dehacked stuff.

1 hour ago, Mechadon said:

I'm out of town right now, so I don't have access to my computer to check the deh file.  Could someone else confirm that the Motherdemon is broke in dos doom?  Maybe pull the deh file from the v1.2 zip and run it with the v1.3 wad.  Its possible I updated the wrong zip because I didn't touch the dehacked stuff.

Already confirmed it, I tried 1.2 and 1.3 and neither of them worked. I could also provide video evidence of the crash if it would be helpful in identifying the bug

I went ahead and checked the v1.3 wad and its DeHackEd file using DOSBox and actual MS-DOS, but I couldn't reproduce the issue. Warping to map30 and then heading into the boss area seems to just proceed as normal, even if I play the entire level beforehand for the keys. Not sure what could be crashing it, but it's likely to have something to do with the boss spawner if that's the last thing you hear before it crashes.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, Bashe said:

I went ahead and checked the v1.3 wad and its DeHackEd file using DOSBox and actual MS-DOS, but I couldn't reproduce the issue. Warping to map30 and then heading into the boss area seems to just proceed as normal, even if I play the entire level beforehand for the keys. Not sure what could be crashing it, but it's likely to have something to do with the boss spawner if that's the last thing you hear before it crashes.

Yeah, I will have to record it and post it in order to definitively show you guys what's happening, I will do that in the morning since it's 12:13 AM here and I am pretty tired

A video of the crash in action would be very helpful.  I got a bit confused at your bug report and thought it happened when the Motherdemon appeared.  If its happening when the gates open, then that sounds like it would be related to the monster spawners.  I don't recall that being an issue in any of the older builds.

When the player enters the Motherdemon arena, there are a couple of things that should happen.  Near the center of the arena is a W1 door action.  The door action sets off a cascade of 3 voodoo dolls which have timed offsets; the important one is the first which opens up the arena and lowers the monster spawners so they can see the player.

Also the monster spawners in this are killable and have a blanked out sound effect.  The blanked sound effect seems like it could be the issue since you hear a garbled sound before the crash.  Are you able to edit wads?  If so, try this - find DSBOSPIT, DSBOSSIT, and DSBOSCUB and delete them.  Run the wad again and see if you get the crash.  We tested this before release obviously, so I'm not sure what's going on if this is the cause of the problem.

Thanks @Bashe for helping out with testing once again, and thank you @TheWolfman00001 for this bug report!  I imagine there's a pretty small group of people here who are able to test in DOS Doom (I couldn't get DeHackEd to work in DOSBox last time I tried).  But if anyone reading this can run a test on MAP30 to try and reproduce this, I would really appreciate it!

Edited by Mechadon

i can give it a try on dosbox , but every time i've tried to use dehacked on doom2 i end up failing in creating the modded .exe , so if anyone can provide me an already "patched" doom2.exe i will make the test. 

9 hours ago, TheWolfman00001 said:

@Mechadon Alright, the video showcasing the crash is currently up. Watch it whenever you are able to

The crash happens because either the DSBOSSIT or DSBOSPIT sound (or both) is corrupted, in a format Vanilla Doom cannot play or outright missing, that nasty sound you hear right before the crash is either one of those samples. Because playing this wad on Vanilla requires merging the wad with a Doom 2 IWAD, maybe you did something wrong on that end, since it works perfectly fine in real hardware as showcased on the video (excuse the lame setup, I have no means of capturing VGA output directly, at least the audio is direct from the SB16!). It also works fine on DOSBox.

There's a couple of things you can try. Check the wad file you are using with Slade and check the DSBOSSIT and DSBOSPIT sounds, they should play fine and be in Doom format. DSBOSSIT should say 57064 samples at 11025 Hz and DSBOSPIT 43674 samples at 11025 Hz. If either of them for some reason are corrupted, you can replace them with the ones from your Doom 2, TNT or Plutonia IWAD.

You could redo the exe dehacked patch, maybe something went wrong there.

Otherwise, you can merge the file again. I used DeuSF with the -merge command, first with D64D2.wad and then with D2SPFX19.wad (which is completely optional but it's a great addition) and it worked fine. The resulting file is an IWAD, so it can be run directly instead of adding it with -file, just make sure it's called DOOM2.wad.

Hope that helps!

Sorry for the double post, but this is important. I just realized that you are not supposed to hear the Icon of Sin sounds! There are entries replacing those sounds for what I suppose (Slade doesn't recognize them) are empty sounds in D64D2.wad. I found out that DeuSF just ignore those entries, probably because they're not in a recognizable format, and leaves the original Doom 2 sounds instead, that's why they are playing in the video I uploaded.

I just tried replacing the originals by the ones from the WAD and despite not getting the game to crash, it started playing a garbled mess of sounds constantly, which I suspect is exactly the same thing @TheWolfman00001 is reporting.

I created very short empty sounds in Doom format that work fine in Vanilla, just replace the ones in your wad with these and it should work like a charm.

D64D2 Sound Fix.zip

Thanks for the help @TheWolfman00001 and @CoTeCiO!  Yea, the sounds are meant to be blanked out with the purpose of trying to recreate the endless spawning behavior in the original Doom 64.

So I've had issues with doing this in the past, although this DOS Doom bug is a different problem.  I made some empty sfx in one of the earlier builds, but you could still hear a small click or pop every time the sound was played (I think this was in Chocolate Doom, don't remember if it happened in any other port).  Actually if I'm remembering right, I tried two versions of this; one with the original sfx but with the volume knocked down, and another that was just a blank sound effect.  @Da Werecat provided the blank sounds in the final release, which fixed the clicking/popping issue.

@Bashe, in your latest test, did you hear any sounds at all during the spawning sequence?  I'm curious if this is something I overlooked.

@CoTeCiO thanks for the new blanked sound effects!  I just need to make sure they don't create the same clicking/popping issues I mentioned above.  If they fix the DOS Doom crashing issue and are completely silent, then we're good to go!

Edited by Mechadon

Alright, I'm going to get this new build out asap so we can make sure this issue is fixed and finally move on from this project.

Doom 64 for Doom II v1.4 [5.4M] (Changelog)

Readme

I went ahead and versioned this 1.4 just to avoid any confusion.  The only changes here are the new blank sfx courtesy of @CoTeCiO and an updated readme with new testing and sfx credits.  I quickly tested MAP30 in Chocolate Doom, GZDoom, Eternity, and PrBoom+ and everything seemed to work correctly.

Now all we need to do is make sure everything is working correctly in DOS Doom.  If everything works there, then I'll get on with uploading this fixed version to /idgames.

I very much appreciate all of the help, especially so late after the final release :)

*edit*

This was updated later in the day with CoTeCiO's extended music tracks for the title and intermission.  Be sure to redownload it if you did so earlier.

Edited by Mechadon

15 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

Alright, I'm going to get this new build out asap so we can make sure this issue is fixed and finally move on from this project.

Doom 64 for Doom II v1.4 [5.4M] (Changelog)

Readme

I went ahead and versioned this 1.4 just to avoid any confusion.  The only changes here are the new blank sfx courtesy of @CoTeCiO and an updated readme with new testing and sfx credits.  I quickly tested MAP30 in Chocolate Doom, GZDoom, Eternity, and PrBoom+ and everything seemed to work correctly.

Now all we need to do is make sure everything is working correctly in DOS Doom.  If everything works there, then I'll get on with uploading this fixed version to /idgames.

I very much appreciate all of the help, especially so late after the final release :)

@Mechadon The crash is still happening with the latest release, I think we only partially fixed the issue.

Hmm, well it happens at the same point as the previous version, so I'm guessing its still those sounds.  I assume CoTeCiO's version with the fixed sounds worked; @CoTeCiO, if you get a chance, would you mind testing v1.4 just to make sure I didn't screw anything up?

24 minutes ago, TheWolfman00001 said:

@Mechadon The crash is still happening with the latest release, I think we only partially fixed the issue

Ok, so the issue are not the sounds, apparently it has to do with the game trying to load something and not finding it. It's strange that DOSBox crashes completely when trying to display the error message, though.

I need you to tell me exactly how are you loading the wad file to the game.

Something happened to me a while back. I was playing MAP30 and suddenly my computer restarted. I couldn't replicate the problem so I'll assume it was just the old girl misbehaving.

Edited by CoTeCiO

That crash would scare the shit out of me if I wasn't expecting it. Sudden crashes give me anxiety.

49 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

Ok, so the issue are not the sounds, apparently it has to do with the game trying to load something and not finding it. It's strange that DOSBox crashes completely when trying to display the error message, though.

I need you to tell me exactly how are you loading the wad file to the game.

Something happened to me a while back. I was playing MAP30 and suddenly my computer restarted. I couldn't replicate the problem so I'll assume it was just the old girl misbehaving.

@Mechadon @CoTeCiO I play MS-DOS Doom using a downloaded version that comes with a bat file that auto-runs the game and can be configured via the dosbox config file that comes in the game folder. when it loads the exe in the autoexec I replace doom2 with doom2bak -file d64d2.wad and the mod seems to run perfectly. Doom2bak is the exe I use with dehacked so that is why I load that instead of the doom2 exe. (EDIT: I forgot to mention that I edited the name of the megawad from D64D2_v1.4 to D64D2 because if I don't the megawad doesn't load for some odd reason) 

Edited by TheWolfman00001

Just now, TheWolfman00001 said:

-file d64d2.wad

Ok, there's the problem. Actually, there is a problem with Vanilla Doom handling sprites and flats from PWADs. You can't just load a wad that contain sprites and flats normally as you would with Eternity or GZDoom, it's a bit more complicated than that.

You have to merge D64D2.wad with DOOM2.wad. To merge the files, you need a program that does such a thing. I used DeuSF (http://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/utils/graphics_edit/deutex/deutex36.zip), which is an old utility that runs on DOS, you'll need to run that program through DOSBox. Place D64D2.wad, DOOM2.wad and DEUSF.exe in a directory, mount that directory in DOSBox and run "DEUSF -merge D64D2.wad", it should start merging both files together, you can press ctrl+F12 a few times to make DOSBox run faster. Once it's ready, back up your original DOOM2.wad file and replace it with the merged one and run DOOM2BAK without -file d64d2.wad. Now the game should run and you should be able to play through MAP30 normally.

If you think that's just too complicated, then just use Chocolate Doom, which is an accurate port of DOS Doom that runs on modern systems. I don't think there's much reason to run DOS Doom unless you're actually running it on vintage hardware. If you want to use Chocolate Doom, load D64D2.wad using -merge instead of -file and it should run fine.

@Mechadon I don't know if we talked about this before (my memory sucks), but I have enhanced versions for the title and intermission music that if I remember correctly, I uploaded them here, but are not present in the wad. The amount of stuff I had to cut down to make the songs sound alright in Vanilla OPL was considerable, so there's a noticeable difference between the enhanced (well, they're the original complete versions, so not really "enhanced", but we get the idea lol) versions to the ones used in the game. They can be loaded in GZDoom via the Gameinfo section of ZMAPINFO, and I suppose a similar thing can be done in EMAPINFO.

I attached the music here. For some reason I made a louder version of the intermission music, which might be too loud in comparison to some of the other tracks, we'll have to see (well, hear).

D64D2 Enhanced Title and Inter music.zip

On 2/14/2017 at 5:43 PM, Mechadon said:

Ok, so there are quite a few things that I want to bring up and discuss.

The map list
I read through the old thread a couple of times, but it was still very difficult to know for sure what maps are done, what's still in progress, who's working on what, etc. The maplist in the OP is what I put together based off of the information I could decipher. It was just really confusing trying to figure it out as a person coming into this much later. So I need to know if the list in the OP is accurate, and if anything needs updating. Please don't be offended if your not credited or if your working on a map and its not on the list. Just let me know and I will get it updated (this is important because I don't want two different people working on the same map slot without knowing).

The map ordering
BaronOfStuff had a preliminary map order planned out. I don't know if this was settled on or not. I do think we will need to shuffle around some maps in order to make certain things work out better (Even Simpler should be in the MAP07 slot, The Absolution should be MAP30, etc). What's the consensus on his map order?

Dehacked work
Obsidian made an extensive dehacked patch which did a bunch of things. I think at this point, with so much of the mapping done already, that attempting to use this patch will just cause a lot of headaches. However, I do think it would be worthwhile to add a few things from it. It would be cool to have a Motherdemon-ish final boss instead of a Mastermind in my opinion (even if its just Mastermind sprite but with different attacks). I also think it would be neat to add a Nightmare Imp, which could replace the Keen monster and use the SS Nazi frames. I was also thinking about trying out a very slightly faster Chaingun (to match the D64 Chaingun), but that might be pushing it a bit too far, I dunno. Anyways, thoughts on this?

Music
I would really like to avoid using stock Doom music in this if at all possible. Viscra Maelstrom and Fisk (here too) made some w.i.p. tracks that I thought sounded pretty cool. If your a musician reading this, and your interested in contributing some music to the project, I think we would all very much appreciate it!

Graphics
One of my sole contributions to the project were some sky textures. Shortly afterwards, Da Werecat came along and made some much nicer ones using mine as a base (as well as this one which looks fantastic). We will be using his sky textures for the project. However I lack a tall version of the moon base sky. I might be able to extend it myself, but I would prefer the original taller version if possible (hopefully Da Werecat will get my PM).

In addition, I think it would be a good idea to have a few graphic replacements that aren't ripped straight from Doom 64. It could be neat to have remixed versions of these graphics; something that's a bit of Doom 64 and a bit of Doom II. I'm hoping that Da Werecat might be able to do help out with this, but nothing is set in stone. So if someone would like to take a stab at doing some new graphic replacements, let me know.

Map updates and testing
One goal that I want to set for this project's revival is to set a standard for the visuals, and to make the entire mapset COOP friendly. Now I'm not expecting every map to be amazing visually, and I won't be throwing out random maps because I don't think they are up to par. What I want to do is try and make all of the maps have clean texture alignment and be well textured. From what I've briefly played, most of the maps are just fine in the category for the most part. If your working on a map, or if you've already made a map, and you would like the visuals tweaked, please don't hesitate to find a partner to help out with that. I realize my standard for what looks good is subjective, so please just bear with me. I will try not to hammer this point too hard ;)

A few people have mentioned COOP, and I think we should definitely make sure all of the maps are COOP friendly. Basically this just means that there should be extra COOP monsters (with difficulty settings) as well as ways for other players to get into locked-off areas (such as traps that block a player in).

And we will want to make sure that all of the map implement difficulty settings. This is pretty self-explanatory I think :)

Finally, I think it is a good idea if we get some dedicated testers to help out. Everyone should post a link to their map in the thread so that it can be tested. I will also eventually put together a new testing build once the dust has settled a bit. Since this is a vanilla project, making sure that none of the maps break the vanilla limits is a must. So the more eyes we have testing the maps, the better.

Anyways, if there's anything else that should be discussed, please bring it up. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as much as possible. Also I'm still digging through the old thread and the old releases, so expect the OP to be updated soon.

Looks cool! i might like to make a youtube video on this.

2 hours ago, CoTeCiO said:

Ok, there's the problem. Actually, there is a problem with Vanilla Doom handling sprites and flats from PWADs. You can't just load a wad that contain sprites and flats normally as you would with Eternity or GZDoom, it's a bit more complicated than that.

You have to merge D64D2.wad with DOOM2.wad. To merge the files, you need a program that does such a thing. I used DeuSF (http://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/utils/graphics_edit/deutex/deutex36.zip), which is an old utility that runs on DOS, you'll need to run that program through DOSBox. Place D64D2.wad, DOOM2.wad and DEUSF.exe in a directory, mount that directory in DOSBox and run "DEUSF -merge D64D2.wad", it should start merging both files together, you can press ctrl+F12 a few times to make DOSBox run faster. Once it's ready, back up your original DOOM2.wad file and replace it with the merged one and run DOOM2BAK without -file d64d2.wad. Now the game should run and you should be able to play through MAP30 normally.

If you think that's just too complicated, then just use Chocolate Doom, which is an accurate port of DOS Doom that runs on modern systems. I don't think there's much reason to run DOS Doom unless you're actually running it on vintage hardware. If you want to use Chocolate Doom, load D64D2.wad using -merge instead of -file and it should run fine.

@Mechadon @CoTeCiO I merged v1.4 with DOOM2.wad and the mod ran perfectly on map 30. The sound changes definitely improved the map as a whole, and I believe we have eliminated any potential crashes that could occur. In the meantime we should make a guide detailing how to successfully run d64d2 under dosbox (if we are able, since some people would really like to know how).

When I was testing v1.3, one of the things I did was run it without the DeHackEd patch to see if maybe that was the problem, but it didn't crash out on me. I used pre-3.0 versions of DeHackEd to try and patch the EXE as well, but they didn't work, so that was ruled out as well. At any rate, it seems the problem was discovered and fixed, so that's good!

@Mechadon I did indeed hear the Icon of Sin sounds when playing in DOS (emulated and real), which totally slipped my mind as something that should not be happening, because it doesn't in other ports I tried. Seems as though CoTeCiO caught the issue too and fixed it.

Whew, alright I'm glad we got this thing sorted out finally.  Thanks again to everyone that helped out!

@CoTeCiO Yea I remember that, though I guess we didn't think to use the extended versions via Gameinfo.  I had those other tracks sitting in a folder and I think you sent me the simplified versions so they would sound correct in vanilla.  Since this thing hasn't been dumped on /idgames yet, I've updated v1.4 with those tracks.  Eternity only has an option to specify custom intermission music and not title music (that I could tell), so that's a bummer.  Also I used the regular [non-loud] version since I was afraid it might be too loud for some people.

@TheWolfman00001 I'm glad we got your issue sorted out.  Even though it looks like you weren't running it right DOS Doom, you did find a bug in the process, so thank you for taking the time to report it!  If someone would like to put together a quick tutorial for running this in dosbox, I would happily add it to the OP.

@Bashe Thanks again for your help!  I totally overlooked the sounds playing in your gameplay video (they should have been replaced at that point), so that's my fault.  There were just too many things to keep track of at the time :P

I mentioned above that v1.4 got an update which adds CoTeCiO's extended music tracks for the title and intermission.  The link is the same and I've updated the changelog.  Now pending any other emergencies, I'll look into getting this version uploaded to /idgames next week (just to make triple sure).

Edited by Mechadon

8 minutes ago, Mechadon said:

You need to press the switch to the south to open the door back up.

i know , that switch only works once , if you leave the room enter again and the door closes you are trapped there forever (well unles idclip) 

switch.png.91d7677e70f4092b066115362b38204b.png

4 hours ago, Mechadon said:

That switch is an open stay action, so I'm not sure how it closed back?  I can take a look later and see.

My only guess is that he for some reason used repeatable "open wait close (fast)" door line long after it was opened with a "open stay" one-use switch.