Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Your opinion on gun control

Livo said:

Yes, firearms are a tool, just like a car. If firearms are designed for killing (which obviously they are), then they're not doing a very good job of that if many more Americans die in car accidents, using essentially a "tool" of transportation.

Nice attempt at pulling a Deep.

Gun related accidents are totally wasted, because you don't need guns, whilst car related accidents are unavoidable, as you need cars.

"As a result of the burgeoning black market in illegal firearms, the British Association of Chief Police Officers estimates that there will be a 20 percent rise in gun crime this year, making it the third straight year of steep increases. The British Home Office reports that handgun crime is at its highest since 1993, while overall gun crimes have never been higher."
The whole post is a good read.
Disclaimer: I am not here to anger any British forum members, I'm just using Britain as an example of places with strict gun control.

I think this conversation happened before... and I think it ended all in naught as well. But here's my oppinion which I've probably stated once or twice or thrice before: Guns shouldn't be banned completely, but regulated in this such way:
ALL GUNS SOLD SHOULD BE SINGLE SHOT ONLY. They're only going to be used for hunting, right? Why the fuck do you need a fucking automatic weapon, HUH?!* Even Semi-auto weapons aren't needed for hunting if you've got good aim.
Also, only rifles and shotguns should be sold to civilans (single-shot only, of course). That way, people can't have concealed weapons like pistols, which could be hidden until the last minute. This wouldn't help -everything- though, since most pistols used to kill a person are obtained illegaly.

*In case you think I'm exageratting(sp?), I know people who've used fully auto weapons for shooting at deer.

Fredrik said:

No guns here. Hardly any gun related crimes at all.

Not all the countries are like yours though. The US is a tiny bit bigger and more multicultural. More people - more problems.

Waldon said:

Not all the countries are like yours though. The US is a tiny bit bigger and more multicultural. More people - more problems.

I don't agree. People here have problems too. But when guns aren't a common element in society, people don't resort to them in the first place.

Fredrick, Waldon really has a point, and no offense, but it's kinda odd that you don't see it. I mean, I know you don't live here and you've grown up to think a bit differently, but even so...

Because of the size of our country, people are still going to have guns, even if it's illegaly. and if they're going to resort to violence, they wouldn't hesitate to use their weapons.

You probably think of domestic violence, things that happen in and around the home. But there's always street violence and things that happen in slums and ghettos that can't be controled with such laws.

Fredrick, Waldon really has a point, and no offense, but it's kinda odd that you don't see it.

No, I perfectly see and understand his point. But I think you should realize some day that you have to go against the problem instead of defending it.

If you'd read, I did give an idea. It's only a temporary solution, but you've got to go one step at a time. I don't like guns either, but I'm not in a position of power.

I do realize that banning guns completely in the US is unrealistic today as well as in the very near future. And, yeah, I do agree with your suggestion... in any case, there's really no argument at all for automatic weapons.

I also think it's completely bizarre that some people oppose compulsory registration of their guns... if they're so proud of them, why not stand for it?

Fredrik said:

I do realize that banning guns completely in the US is unrealistic today as well as in the very near future.

It's not unrealistic, it's pointless. Let's say that you somehow convince each and every one of the States to completely ban guns - a brave assumption already. You think that somehow all the criminals that already own illegal guns will suddenly tap their foreheads, realize how evil guns are and turn them all in to the police? The only thing that a complete ban can accomplish is to make criminals' work easier. They can be sure that none of their victims are armed. The old saying still applies - if you outlaw guns, only outlaws are going to own them. A ban would force all the lawful citizens that refuse to turn in their legally owned guns to become criminals themselves.

I also think it's completely bizarre that some people oppose compulsory registration of their guns... if they're so proud of them, why not stand for it?

Gun registration is the first step towards gun ban. Once the government knows where guns are, they know where to go to take them all away (once again, take a look at Britain for the example). Nobody has to know what gun(s) an individual owns. As long as he possesses it legally, there is nothing to worry about.
One more thing. There are enough gun "control" laws already, they are just not all that easy to enforce. Making new laws won't change a thing, the criminals owning illegal guns won't do anything differently. The current laws shall be enforced first.

fodders said:

In England only 1 in 20 murders are with a gun.

Makes you wonder how many of those could be prevented if the victim had the chance to own a handgun for self defense, doesn't it?

Once again, it's bloody great to live in a society where you can walk in the street without the need to bear a gun for self defence.

Fredrik said:

Once again, it's bloody great to live in a society where you can walk in the street without the need to bear a gun for self defence.

Sigh. Read my post about countries being different. Are we debating the societies or gun control?
By the way, it's not like you need to own a gun in the States to stay alive either. It just comes in handy if you are one of those unlucky people from the statistics.

Fredrik said:

Yep! =)

Fredrik said:

Nice attempt at pulling a Deep.

Gun related accidents are totally wasted, because you don't need guns, whilst car related accidents are unavoidable, as you need cars.

Gun related accidents are not a problem in America if you look at the figures! Most of those car accident deaths were a waste too, because of some idiot who ran a red light or drank and decided to drive home. The people is generally idiots, not the methods that they use in their stupidity.

Banning guns will not solve anything. Illegal firearms will alsways be around. If you want to ban blades, illegal blades will still be around, in fact, probably even more plentiful than before.

In Sydney, crimes involving firearms (which were made illegal several years ago) went up by over 40% according to Government statistics.

fodders said:

Legalise guns, ban ammo.

rofl yeah. Chris Rock said it best "fuck gun control, we need bullet control. I think if bullets cost $5,000 you would know a motherfucker deserved it, hell, they put $50,000 worth of bullets in his ass!"

19 minutes ago, ChaseC7527 said:

it's bullshit, through and through.

Wtf dude. What made you think bumping a two decade thread to start a political fight was going to end well?