Why are we here?

We all have our own answers but I want to hear yours
Why do you think we're here?
To have fun?
To take over the universe?
To make plastic?
To worship god?

This is just a theoretical thread
I don't want people saying anything about everyone thinking that what they say is right and everyone else is wrong
What's your philosophy on life?

A question I had always asked myself over and over again. Although I wish it were to make plastic.
In all seriousness, IMO, "we" are here because the conditions were right. There were the right amount of chemicals present at the right time in the right place. Ever since then, things just simply went on its own.

That's right. Our purpose of existence is to exist. Might as well do that, so I got rid of that question from my head, and started to accept that I am a human, and I have instincts to follow. Basically, trying to be a normal human being.

inb4 religious shitfest ensues so have fun.

in all seriousness tho, i'd have to agree with voros. we're just here because chemicals were at the right place at the right time, forming life. eventually, that life evolved into what we are today. really, we're nothing more than a coincidence, in my eyes.

then again, that's just my opinion. believe whatever you want :p

Theres is an answer to this question, but there is no definitive answer that applies to everyone. The following isn’t written to answer this question for you as much as it is designed to provide the building blocks for you to form an answer for yourself. You have you own interests, hobbies, and passions that are different than my own so I’m in no position to tell you what to do.

Our bodies are hardwired with some basic natural impulses, the need to eat and drink water, and to live long enough to reproduce. When you live in a civilized society that eliminates the struggles associated with these impulses, these types of philosophical questions are raised. Most people who don’t live in societies where they can simply buy the food they want and sleep in a comfy bed at night away from disease and natural predators consider every day a gift and don’t question the value of life. Another way to think of it is that the Universe is 99.999999% comprised of conditions that are designed to kill you. (lack of water, oxygen, food sources, extreme temperatures etc.)

But as far as fulfilling some sort of purpose, have you ever played something like an mmorpg, or some kinda open world sandbox kinda game such as World of Warcraft, Minecraft, or The Sims? These games have a set of rules and laws that you have to abide by but in general there is no defined goal to the game. You can do anything you want within the scope of the game’s capabilities, but how you define success or achievement is only in the eyes of the beholder. Life is very similar to that. If you eliminate these internal boundaries and move the goal posts to where you want them to be, you can achieve success very quickly. But what most people don’t know is that happy and successful people are only happy because they never stop challenging themselves.

If you’re looking for inspiration, one guy who has really caught my attention lately is Henry Rollins (check out some of his speeches on youtube if you’re looking for answers.) He spends his life reading books written by people that he and most people genuinely disagree with, travels to countries where people tell him not to go, and is on this endless pursuit to meet and understand and help people on a very personal level. He then has these “talks” where he stands on stage and exchanges these really motivational stories where he learned something that most people don’t know. He considers himself a “doer” and simply cannot endure a sedentary life in such a way where he’s working in a building designed to help some CEO make money. He’s aware that not everyone can follow in his footsteps and that’s ok, but he considers that aspect of his life to be a gift that shouldn’t be wasted. So he goes through his life with the intention of spreading information, hopeful that he can change people’s perspectives, eliminate stereotypes and misconceptions, and generally make the world a more unified and happier place to live. These are big shoes to fill, but he reminds people that life is finite and some of the greatest achievers in the world are not responsible for every great achievement that has ever happened in the world, so if you can focus your attention on maybe one or two things that you can do very well, you can fill a void in the world by doing something that other people may not be able to or are simply not motivated to do. It’s pretty remarkable what humans are able to achieve if they’re not concerned about who gets the credit for it.

So in short, life is pretty much only what you make of it. Set realistically attainable goals for yourself, and document your progress. Never stop challenging yourself to be the best you can be. There may be a higher being ahead of us that makes our life worth living, and whether you choose to believe in that or not is entirely up to you. The artist Michelangelo once said something pretty interesting when he was in front of the marble block sculpting the statue of David. “The statue is already in there, I just need to get all this other shit out of the way (paraphrased)” I feel like that’s a pretty good metaphor for life. We are already the best we can be, we just have to work on deleting all the other shit that kinda fucks with it. I’m maybe not the best example of someone who lives by this code, but I am aware of it and I’m gently working towards it one step at a time.

To fuck up the precious planet we all walk upon and inevitably bring about our own extinction.

We are here because our parents were / are a bunch of horny fuckers and decided that popping out a few children is a nice way to please their parents' nagging and / or to ensure a pleasant retirement for themselves.

I believe that there is a single, objective, universal, eternal tendency that makes all sufficiently complex objects always try to behave in such a way that, not only they actively preserve their existence in all ways they can, but they actively search for and adopt new ways that would help them to preserve their existence (and what's more, "their existence" doesn't necessarily refer to individual objects following said tendency, but to objects following said tendency as a whole). Creation of the first objects that were sufficiently complex to be at least partly affected by this tendency, was a matter of chance. But from that point on, the survival of these objects was a matter of both chance AND this tendency taking effect. And that's how we got here. We were lucky that there had been suitable conditions that allowed life to be created, to survive in the long term, and to evolve into our form specifically. But just as importantly, the survival and evolution (in general) wasn't pure luck, but a result of the universal tendency in question. This was my answer to "Why are we here?" in the sense "What did cause us to be here?".

I consider the abovementioned tendency to be the true meaning of life, what makes the distinction between "good" and "bad" on the largest possible scale, the way that following the tendency is "good" (because it leads to prosperity) and doing otherwise is "bad" (because it leads to extinction). That is my answer to "Why are we here?" in the sense "What's our purpose here?".

When I read the thread title I thought the question was aimed at people posting in "everything else". I have wondered on several occasions why some people who never post anything doom related seem to love arguing about Trump or whatever in this rather boring part of the forum which is located in a DOOM forum.

Reproduction. Even survival is a byproduct of this need. I believe the greatest evils in the world are committed by people either putting this byproduct above its purpose, or neglecting the whole thing altogether for the sake of some "higher" purpose. We have built-in immortality, it's called having children. Killing others in the name of a god promising you an eternity in paradise, pursuing technology above all else in hope a singularity will fusion you with a machine, traveling all over the world in a journey to find yourself... Will it truly bring you satisfaction, in the end? By all means, do things, live life, be the greatest person you can be; but you are not your words, or your deeds, you are not your material properties or your spiritual enlightenment. Your legacy is in your genes, that is who you are.

There is no ideology quite as heinous as the "overpopulation" mantra to me, a blatant lie in the West as the message specifically targets members of groups with birth rates at or below replacement levels. It's fine for individuals to decide they don't want kids for whatever personal reason, it's another for other people to convince them they shouldn't as some moral duty. Cue in soaring depression cases, which surely will be fixed by chasing everything in the world except the one thing you are programmed to do as a conscious living being.

With all people saying right place and right arragement of atoms and such, one has to wonder why exactly we are arranged like this. One may continue "evolution" "progress", but why did those things happen? And etc. etc.

I had this crazy thought that everything happening right now is a big test. Not a simple test, but a big fuckin' test. Flows of data travelling all over the place, and some eldritch eyes look at them and write down stuff on a super-notepad, then bringing that notepad to the ultra-computer, and writing stuff there, predicting the future when the computer calculates all those variables and whatnot. I would write a novella explaining this, but currently I am in bit of a rush (study breaks eh?), so in short lines.

This reality is a "pocket reality", as in creatures go around and do their stuff, run into problems, screw around, fight and such. Humans, bug aliens, some super-mega space empire, whatever. The reality would exist as long as the search for perfect EVERYTHING lasts. That is, once everything becomes absolutely perfect, this reality ceases to exist, time stops, reality becomes a image. Image of Go---*massive eyeroll can be heard* Argh I know it sounds cringy and whatnot, i'll stop okay?

Ugh, point is, im pretty set with regards to apocalypses being announced, people threatening with AI takeovers and whatever. The human race accelerates through a curve so hard its drifting. But it would still be a long way to the end of the race. Why I feel fine and safe? Why am I not afraid of super sudden world ruptures or whatnot? Because the universe is still in the bathroom checking its hair, then trimming its nails, and whatnot. It won't go until its late enough. I have seen people going like "hey, wattif, wattif next moment we all burn to ashes bc universe wants us dead?" or "omfg u all sheeple robots will eat you first" and whatever.

And I am like "Chill, the universe's perception of time is wayyy to slow. You know how dog years work right? Like, one year we play with them, they think they are playing with us for seven years. Now, we are the dogs, and the universe sees all those seven years in a fracture of a fracture of a fracture of a mili-second. If the universe wanted us gone, it would facepalm once it realises we are gone or already running to the kitchen to bang a lot of pots". Answer varies in verbosity and structure depending on the situation.

tl;dr of the year award goes to the next line: we are here because the universe wants to achieve perfecy, but its too damn slow and retarded to do so, so that will almost never happen. By the time it happens, humans would become Tolkein's elves, a fictional matter if it even exists in future-ppl's minds. And when that happens the universe freezes up and crashes, save file gets corrupted. Probably resets. Depends if God wants to start the game again with another save.

We're here because the past (I like to believe in a "Big Bounce" being the reason). We need to focus more on present and future than the past. Do what you like, as long as you don't hurt anyone else.

Outrageous Videos said:

To take over the universe?

If the laws of physics don't prove to trap us to Sol (hey, we can still send ART into space, maybe even AI if that ever happens), then I think we need a globally stable, fully biodiverse planet as a starting point, before embarking on any Milkyway shenanigans. If we (and everyone else biological) isn't trapped in their native system, then we're bound to run into other species out there. The chances of us being the most developed/powerful species we've run into sees pretty slim (worse than the lottery, if I've done my research correctly). Thus, the stable and biodiverse culture (us) would seek to become a benign part of the echosystems it runs into (like the mitochondria), rather than seeking to conquer, submiss and take over, like we've mostly been doing with our wars on planet earth, and are currently doing to other species. If we go into space with the conqueror attitude, I think we'll meet a more powerful entity, which won't appreciate our attitude and wipe us out/keep us around for novelty factor.

Outrageous Videos said:

To have fun?

Mostly.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

You all exist because I think you exist.

You're a solipsist? If that's the case, then what will I say next?

I can't help but wish there was something more, the idea of just disappearing forever after death isn't something I look forward to at all.

We are here to wonder why so many people find it so hard to accept that there are things they don't know and may not ever know.

With full knowledge that I represent a minority on this forum: I believe we are here for the glory of God.

While I am prepared for the honest questions and challenges that will follow this post, I will not answer or acknowledge replies that just spew profanity or attack my beliefs.

You most likely won't agree with me, but I believe in God (while respecting science) and what I think is that we're here to be tested before going to the afterlife (human's true destination). Of course that's just me and I respect the other opinions, as I too wondered about this topic, before choosing to stay with this answer.
Also, there are so many questions for an average person to answer in a single lifetime. For an example, I will always be fascinated by the scale of the universe and terrified of the dangers that exist near us (black holes, colliding galaxies, supernovas), so I decided to stop thinking about that and infinity-related stuff.

P.S.: It's weird that I believe in God, while I blast my way to hell with Doom. To me feels like I am an unholy crusader or something and it is cool this way.

ShotgunDemolition said:

You most likely won't agree with me, but I believe in God (while respecting science) and what I think is that we're here to be tested before going to the afterlife (human's true destination). Of course that's just me and I respect the other opinions, as I too wondered about this topic, before choosing to stay with this answer.
Also, there are so many questions for an average person to answer in a single lifetime. For an example, I will always be fascinated by the scale of the universe and terrified of the dangers that exist near us (black holes, colliding galaxies, supernovas), so I decided to stop thinking about that and infinity-related stuff.

P.S.: It's weird that I believe in God, while I blast my way to hell with Doom. To me feels like I am a crusader or something and it is cool this way.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I don't fear black holes etc., though, for two reasons. First, I don't think that's the way this earth will end (having read the book of Revelation). Second, there's nothing I can do to stop it, so why fret?

I know Christians who think it's wrong to play Doom (because demons!), but they are okay with Wolfenstein 3D and Call of Duty. My response to them is that if it is somehow doing "honor" to evil beings by killing them in a video game, then why is it not honoring the Nazis by doing the same to virtual Nazis? Personally, I don't care what the identity of the enemy is... it's just a game. They could be fairies, or aliens, or gremlins, or just pixels on a screen. No one knows what demons really look like -- all this stuff is just made up. The way the game works and challenges the mind is all that matters to me. And Doom does that in a very unique and entertaining way.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think you're weird! :-)

42PercentHealth said:

I know Christians who think it's wrong to play Doom (because demons!), but they are okay with Wolfenstein 3D and Call of Duty. My response to them is that if it is somehow doing "honor" to evil beings by killing them in a video game, then why is it not honoring the Nazis by doing the same to virtual Nazis? Personally, I don't care what the identity of the enemy is... it's just a game. They could be fairies, or aliens, or gremlins, or just pixels on a screen. No one knows what demons really look like -- all this stuff is just made up. The way the game works and challenges the mind is all that matters to me. And Doom does that in a very unique and entertaining way.

If you have readed Masters of Doom, you could know that a hardcore mormon worked on Doom. I forgot his name, but I did remember he said the demons were just cartoons in the game, and the game doesn't really honor the demons or make the player worship them, because they are the bad guys in the whole story, and that is the good thing.

I think most of the Doom controversy stems out of guns and blood. I mean, the corpses look mundae to us now, but imagine hearing about computers for the first time and see your young son slaughtering what appear to be people with chainsaws and shotguns on a new computer you have just bought them. Oh yeah, and Columbine, who can forget that.

Edit: Almost a whole line.

True, I do remember reading that. I don't remember who it was either, though...

It seems ironic to me that game developers purposely try to choose "bad guys" that nobody could possibly try to defend on a moral basis. (e.g. demons, Nazis, aliens, etc.) But there are always some who have to stand up for the rights and equality of demons and Nazis.

You have described the reason I wasn't allowed to play Doom when it came out. I never played it until I was in college, just 3 years ago.

Maybe there's no objective reason for "us" to be "here". Maybe we are just as a rock in a prairie, lying there because of a chain of causalities and not by purpose.

Maybe the very question is inapplicable to the natural world, since reason, purpose, and objectives are all human concepts, not a property of the reality apparently.

Or maybe we are all in a Doom map running on a very advance source port, for the amusement of the players.

42PercentHealth said:

It seems ironic to me that game developers purposely try to choose "bad guys" that nobody could possibly try to defend on a moral basis. (e.g. demons, Nazis, aliens, etc.) But there are always some who have to stand up for the rights and equality of demons and Nazis.

You have described the reason I wasn't allowed to play Doom when it came out. I never played it until I was in college, just 3 years ago.

I have yet to see someone defending demons from a 20 year old game. True, I have seen people defending Nazis, but those were mostly some political memers, no actual official. I understand when it comes to... uhh...

*flips a notebook*

Wait lemme find a stereotype I can defend.

*flips harder*

Umm... Native Americans? Or any natives at all? Yeah, them.

And I can say for nearly the same reason I wasn't allowed to play any of the GTA series. But my parents wouldn't notice if they couldn't hear screams or gunshots, so whenever they strolled by I would drive nicely and dock down the sound. They seemed to have no problem with Doom though, there was a bit of a complaint about Brutal Doom, but bloodless Doom playthroughs (or just few drips from sprites and some wall smudges) are apparently fine.

Battle_Kirby said:

I have yet to see someone defending demons from a 20 year old game. True, I have seen people defending Nazis, but those were mostly some political memers, no actual official.

You should talk to my parents, then. They don't "defend demons," per se, but they are
very religious, and think that the imagery used in the game will put the player under the influence of real demons.

Battle_Kirby said:

And I can say for nearly the same reason I wasn't allowed to play any of the GTA series. But my parents wouldn't notice if they couldn't hear screams or gunshots, so whenever they strolled by I would drive nicely and dock down the sound. They seemed to have no problem with Doom though, there was a bit of a complaint about Brutal Doom, but bloodless Doom playthroughs (or just few drips from sprites and some wall smudges) are apparently fine.

I've never played or watched any GTA. It just feels wrong killing innocent, helpless people, even in a game. I'm not trying to be judgmental about it, but that's just something I couldn't bring myself to do.

42PercentHealth said:

You should talk to my parents, then. They don't "defend demons," per se, but they are
very religious, and think that the imagery used in the game will put the player under the influence of real demons.

I've never played or watched any GTA. It just feels wrong killing innocent, helpless people, even in a game. I'm not trying to be judgmental about it, but that's just something I couldn't bring myself to do.

Well... I dunno man. If it helps, my parents are religious too. But either they don't feel a need to look at my screen, or just dont see well, because graphics quality is quite proportional to their attention during my game time. That is why I like Doom. Looks like cartoon-land (even my dad sometimes thinks I have broken the computer when I play), and not to mention other stuff that goes with it.

Frankly, I have mostly played GTA just for the stunts. I rarely go berserk on people in those games, unless I wanna have a fair firefight. That is, until I disccovered mods for Half-Life, then Doom, then Quake, then mods for each game. Then my life quality was increased for a significant amount. And now I don't even have GTA anymore.

42PercentHealth said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. I don't fear black holes etc., though, for two reasons. First, I don't think that's the way this earth will end (having read the book of Revelation). Second, there's nothing I can do to stop it, so why fret?

Sorry for not being clear, I didn't mean that space dangers will be our end. I just wanted to address them as impressive phenomena that take place near us.
Also, I haven't read much about Revelation, which is a shame, because the Four Horsemen seem to be the coolest death bringers in existence (Darksiders in case you wonder).

And having read your post, I can say I like your argument about games. Here is what I see in Doom myself. It's a unique chessboard, where you are the king, the bishop, the soldier e.t.c. and your every move will make it easier or harder for the opponent to dominate you. It is not static, but dynamic. And it always feels like a beautiful ballet, when I am in the middle of a huge encounter and dodge incoming projectiles, while pumping lead to the demons (headshots on imps are wonderful).

To sum up, thank you for replying!!! It is always good to know someone with similar beliefs, character traits and habits. That is one of the reasons I joined Doomworld in the first place (Doom is another reason itself). The forums here are like a family, where members help each other with their problems and withstand difficulties together, while marching on.
Have a nice day guys. :D