Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Doomkid said:

House of Plain is a hilariously perfect name.

Put me down for map10 :)

Sounds like if someone just used the doom builder default graphics to make an entire megawad, maybe a future project after this?

I just got a reply from someone on the ZDoom Forums with their own MAP04 submission. Is there another map slot you would want it for?

Alrighty. Sorry about that. Someone posted their MAP04 just a few minutes before you claimed it, so I didn't get time to update the OP.

Cool. I've been looking for a home for a map I originally made for Freedoom, and this looks like a suitable place for it. Feel free to slot it in wherever you think it would fit.

Download Boiling Point

A couple things to note:

-Difficulty settings/multiplayer things are not included.
-I added in WFALL1-4 graphics, because a) the animations for WFALL exist in vanilla Doom 2, and b) there isn't much reason to not have them around, IMO. May I ask that you keep these around? Everything else is stock Doom 2 textures.

AD_79 said:

Cool. I've been looking for a home for a map I originally made for Freedoom, and this looks like a suitable place for it. Feel free to slot it in wherever you think it would fit.

Nice map AD, felt similar to Romero's D2 stuff. But what's up with the damaging water? It's really unintuitive. Also i didn't like being forced to run across damaging floors to progress the level... with no rad suits provided. But maybe that's just a personal gripe of mine.

Also i stumbled upon a missing texture if you activate a certain lift then go to a specific ledge/switch alcove, this is in the area with the soulsphere secret:

AD_79 said:

-I added in WFALL1-4 graphics, because a) the animations for WFALL exist in vanilla Doom 2, and b) there isn't much reason to not have them around, IMO. May I ask that you keep these around? Everything else is stock Doom 2 textures.

Obviously this is entirely up to OP, but personally I'm not sure I agree with this. Adding new graphics, even if the game has a natural place for them, is surely defeating the point of making it vanilla Doom 2?

I'd even argue that using the grey stalagmite that actually does appear in the IWAD (but has no actor associated with it) isn't acceptable either.

Alright, so I put down floatRand and LordShadowZ for MAP24 and MAP08. Also, that map looks pretty sweet AD_79. I'll test it out in just a sec. I just played it, and I would like to say that I definitely felt like I was back in 1994 playing Doom 2. This map would be perfect for this megawad. Also, about the WFALL textures. I suppose I could let them be used here. I was thinking that we could just avoid that whole issue by turning the water into blood or nukage, if that's okay with you, since I would greatly prefer to keep this was as authentic as possible.

Also, MAP04 slot is back open. @dachauncinator If you want your map to be at that slot, I can probably make it happen now.

If I didn't have so many maps to finish for other projects I'd sign up. I do have a vanilla map using only stock resources that I haven't finished yet though. If I can find the time to complete it I'll submit it. No promises though.

scotty said:

Nice map AD, felt similar to Romero's D2 stuff. But what's up with the damaging water? It's really unintuitive. Also i didn't like being forced to run across damaging floors to progress the level... with no rad suits provided. But maybe that's just a personal gripe of mine.

TBH I think these are non-issues and I it hate when people complain about them.

If you really want, you can turn it into damaging blood, Seidolon. I did that initially when making the map, but I changed it to water because I strongly preferred how it looks here.

Scotty, I personally have no issue with forced damage floor runs, though I understand that some do. Also, let's just say that the water is really hot ;)

I honestly think we can keep it as water. I agree that it probably wouldn't look as nice if it were blood. Plus, we'd have to come up with a different clever name if we did that.

I'd prefer if there was blood, due to the intuition that water is non-damaging (aesthetic is secondary to me). Map name would still fit, it'd just refer to boiling blood.

EDIT: Or (less preferably) maybe keep water but throw poison / radiation signs everywhere.

DRL 3.33 said:

TBH I think these are non-issues and I it hate when people complain about them.

Quite clearly just a personal opinion, so give it a rest.

@scifista42 Well the map name could serve as a subtle clue to the player as he/she starts the map. Since the map author wants to keep it as water, I think that would be best.

@AD_79 So there's no specific map slot you would want the map to take? If that's the case, I think I'll wait until there are more submissions before I assign it one myself.

I'm in. Guess I'll take map11. After its done you can choose to put it wherever you want, I don't really care. Also, how much should the maps emulate doom 2's style? Should the maps be kinda id-esque or just whatever.

Okay cool. If you want your map to be at the MAP11 slot, I can do that right now. The maps should emulate Doom 2's style as much as possible. I'm not going to be super strict, but the more it looks like something you could find in Doom 2, the better.

I'll claim MAP21.

Also, I was thinking: did the secret maps needs to stay close to the wolf3d style like the original or it could be something totally different?

Like with new graphics that replaces original patches for the wolf3d textures...

The map24's name was Chasm, so theme is rifts, heh.

I am actually challenging myself to work under visplane limit and etc. Gonna see what happens.

@walter confalonieri The secret maps should not use wolfenstein 3d textures. We should just make them with somewhat of a gimmick, or just make them really difficult like in Plutonia.

@floatRand Lookin' good!