Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I personally found that to be a solid, enjoyable level, but I'm 100% positive some people are going to complain about it being too plain. That kind of thing appeals to me, really - Big open spaces that aren't all that detailed.. It feels like you can breathe, so to speak. However, a lot of people (I'd argue the majority) will say there's not enough visual interest or whatever.

The only things that need to be changed, in my opinion:

• That brown death pit near the red key is such a cruel trap that far into the map. It's easy to avoid, but still, some kind of secret escape would be greatly appreciated
  • By the chainsaw, there is an imp stuck in the ground
  • It is very easy to SR50 and grab the blue key right at the start of the map, although this really doesn't effect progression as you already have the blue key well before you actually come to the blue doors (Renders it pointless unless a player is really inattentive and misses the teleport in the hole)
  • There's a spot where the ashwall caves lead back into the open brown area, looking out onto a little white cliff. It's very easy to SR50 to this platform, but (sadly) there's no secret there. A little berserk pack or something would be cool for those who think to do the strafe run!
  • The lost soul cages behind the yellow door should be impassable. It's weird seeing the skulls pass right through the gates as though they aren't there
  • Despite my love for plain oldschool maps, there are a few other tiny texture hiccups that I'll get screenshots of shortly. These should be fixed, and simply for the sake of consistency between maps, maybe a little bit more detail should be added overall

Those things aside, I liked it. Nice and cruisy in terms of difficulty and wide, breathable and open for the most part. Definitely a good effort!

Thanks for the input , I thought I put something on the cliff or was going to and forgot, I'll fix the rest. Some screenshots would be nice, also I have no Idea how to stop the imps from clipping into the ground.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just added a few more updates to my map: http://uploads.doomshack.org/kidplain10_new.wad

Difficulty levels are properly balanced now and multiplayer is great fun in both deathmatch and cooperative. Also fixed a few weird issues in vanilla. Enjoy!

On another note I played the newest version of your map, I only played the first version before this but either way it's a great map with a really good difficulty spike. I played on UV and had just the right amount of challenge in between Moderate difficulty, and Quicksaving every five seconds, although I wasn't a big fan of the part where you open the door and there is a horde of enemies, I never took damage at that part besides from hitscanners and it just felt like an ammo waste. Besides that the map is great

9nYh5JL.png

I may just can it and leave it for somebody else to work on; I don't believe what I have so far is good.

Edited by SArais

My MAP23 is done. Play tested it quite a few times and I think it is all good now.

TITLE: Dens of Borsippa

DESCRIPTION:

A fairly linear map with medium difficultly (not easy for me but easy for experts).  All enemies, ammo health, etc have been calculated on the average
amounts in MAP23 of Doom 2, D2twid, TNT Evilution, Plutonia and  Icarus.wad. The theme is bricks and hellish, but not hellfire. The final area was inspired by MAP23 Lunar Mining Project of TNT and E2M8 Tower Of Babel and consists of a Cyberdemon fight. The music from E2M8 of Doom has been used in this map.

DOWNLOAD

SCREENSHOTS

pc23A.pngpc23B.png

pc23C.png

Edited by pcorf : .... because he just wants to edit!

Ready to release just need to get those screenshots from DoomKid and as I said before I don't know how to keep the Imps from clipping into the ground. Any Tips?

Quick update for my map:

The layout and detailing is 100% done. It takes place in several huge caverns (much like Doom II's MAP24 and MAP29) as well as some marble structure that drove me nuts trying to align those dumb green bricks. There are also like 8 secrets because I couldn't stop slipping them in everywhere. All I need to do now is play it fourteen dozen times to get the gameplay where I want it - I want it to actually be fun to play (unlike everything else I've ever released lol).

Oh and I'm naming it "Firewalker" because there's lots of lava and arch-viles (though that might change if y'all think a door would be more appropriate for a "Plain ol' Doom II" project than 54 arch-viles under crushers protecting the exit teleporter) :-)

Don't wait for me I daresay. I don't think I've got anything for the plate (which is to say; i'm stumped on my map and can't make any more progress with it). sorry for all the delays.

I can post the map's skeleton though.

I was going to try and make a little launch base for a trick to make the player appear to be flying off in a rocket to a space-base which would in turn teleport you to the secret map.

I wanted to play with the evileyes as a set peice

ultimately it's just a hell-town

Edited by SArais

What's up guys! I'm just gonna be casually leaving the forums forever. Just email me if you have questions or map submissions. pete_hunt@comcast.net

I wasn't originally planning on having a set due date, but I'm going to start just filling in unsubmitted slots with my own maps sometime in mid July probably. If you don't want me to make a map overriding your slot, email me by then so I know. If you want to include a description for your map, describing any influences you may have had or anything interesting about the development of the map, you could include it in a text file accompanying the submitted wad which I will put in the .txt of the finished project, provided I get a decent amount of these. If you wanna keep updated with what stuff I've been working on, check out my youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiep4ouOCWWfzCZePbddAPg

Why you're leaving these forums?

Anyway, good luck with your next projects!

Can you update the main map list on OP? Is still at May 6 and there's a pretty bunch of new maps!

Waiting for playing the final megawad!

Edited by Walter confetti

Hi, quick update. I've not forgotten about my map, I should be posting it in the next week or two. I've been pretty busy doing other things and not really had a chance to work with it, but things are calming down now.

Well I'm bummed to see this die, especially after investing the time to create 2 maps for it. I gotta say I'm pretty annoyed at the people who nabbed map slots and never even came back with any proof of progress or even admitted that they just weren't working on their maps at all.

I was keeping tabs but there isnt a point to posting progress when very few others are.

I will use the map eventually.  If not here, than elsewhere!

Does anyone know why @Seidolon quit the forums?

Unfortunately with him gone unless someone wants to restart this project and take ownership of it, it's probably not going to get off the ground. Which is a shame, because some people created some great maps.

We could always create a mini megawad of the maps we have currently made. It doesn't have to have 32. But it would need someone to lead it.

My first map Seidolon was not too satisfied with because of too much detail (wasn't this for limit removing) so you know what, you ain't getting it so it was released to idgames. Seidolon loved my second map but cancelled the project shortly afterwards. My second map "Dens of Borsippa" has already just been uploaded to the idgames archives.

I suggest you do the same with your maps, or perhaps include them in the Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (if you have not submitted to it), or as stand alone, any project of your choice, or as Bauul suggested, create a mini episode. It is a shame to see so many good maps go to waste (Like Doom Millennium!), not just this project but many others in the past. Luckily some of the authors release them stand alone or in other projects.

For example the first secret map (Rusted Mystery) for Doomed Space Wars was intended for Community Chest 4 but I ran out of ideas at the time but converted it to Zdoom and finished it off later. But it sat around unfinished for 3 or 4 years.

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

Does anyone know why @Seidolon quit the forums?

Well you can see in his lasts posts that he used the term country hicks in a discussion about music and someone didn't like it so there was a little drama about it.

Yep. Doomworld, Doomworld never changes.

Wait is this still happening? I kinda assumed it died, if that's the case, I can still release it standalone (or maybe we could revive the project under new lead). I've got a 98% complete map sitting on my hard drive...

On 31/07/2017 at 10:07 PM, Surreily said:

Wait is this still happening? I kinda assumed it died, if that's the case, I can still release it standalone (or maybe we could revive the project under new lead). I've got a 98% complete map sitting on my hard drive...

Of course it is entirely up to you if you want to release your map standalone.

Sure. It looks like those are using links from before Dropbox changed its system.

Boiling Point (I believe there's a later version of this one with skill+MP placement, but I can't find it)

Demanufacture

EDIT: I'm going to find another use for these, because clearly the project isn't going anywhere, heh.

Edited by AD_79

If we're on the topic of maps from this project, I ended up tidying up and releasing my Map 20 replacement separately: