Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Famous Doom mappers who don't know how to script. Do any exist?

Greetings and salutations.

I was wondering if there exists a man or a woman, which name credits some of the best megawads and maps in general, but who never learned to script or haven't even heard of scripting? I am asking because I myself don't want to bother with scripting too much, and the only time I have bothered with scripting was when I wanted to make a intermission text screen.

Also, I guess it would be really fun to know and to play wad-s made by people complimented by many, as I want to see what can happen when you rearrange tiles of the game to make a new design.

Basically, is there any famous mapper who never bothered with scripting and just used vanilla stuff from the original game?

Never heard of scripting: I doubt it. Never bothered with scripting: plenty. Keep in mind that making scripted maps require making maps for an engine with scripting; and many prefer making maps for vanilla or Boom instead.

Well uh I definitely don't fit the "best megawads and maps in general" description but my maps are rather well known and I know jack shit about scripting. I probably should have learned something in the last 16-17 years but I'm just in love with vanilla mapping. I did bother to get extremely familiar with dehacked, so technically that goes beyond stock standard vanilla, but still never got around to learning scripted map events. Not that there's anything wrong with them, mind you.

Wouldn't that pretty much be every mapper who's made vanilla/Boom megawads that have won Cacowards? Mappers that know scripting and make GZDoom exclusive content seem to be a minority compared to the former.

well, i mean, just look at everyone who works on vanilla-compatible maps. there's tons. alien vendetta, memento mori, hell revealed - none of them contain scripting, just pure mapping. you really don't need to know how to script to map, unless you're gonna make one that uses zdoom scripting features.