Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Windows vs. Linux

All right, I want it straight:
What the major differences between Windows and Linux, other than the fact that they're both different operating systems?

Linux is harder to use for beginners, but I find as an experienced user it is easier FOR ME. Linux GUIs are getting better though. I think anybody could probably use a system running KDE, but the hurdle now is making it so it it easy to administrate. You can do basic tasks like web browsing or word processing but its still quite complicated to do things like install a new program or new hardware if you dont have the experience.
Linux has less software than windows, however there is Wine which lets you run some Windows programs (its not perfect but getting better all the time). I've seen Half Life and Jedi Knight running under WINE. There are native versions of some games : Quake 3, RTCW etc.
More powerful command line: Linux is a Unix system and has a Unix command line. It was not until I started using this that I realised how utterly braindead the DOS command line really is. This is a biggie for me because I do practically everything from the command line.
Linux is Free: This refers to both freedom and price. You can download most linux software free of charge and redistribute it as much as you wish. The source code to most of it is available as well, so you can modify it as you wish. Note I say 'most': there is some proprietory software available but its a minority.
More secure: This is not something which can really be measured but linux is generally considered to be more secure. The system encourages secure practice, for example, running as an unprivileged user which stops rogue programs (eg viruses) from damaging your computer.
The entire directory structure is in one single tree, no multiple drives. Having seen someone recently try to move his Win2k install from one drive to another with hundreds of references to the drive name in the Registry it became clear just how wise this is. The directory structure in general is much better thought out.

Windows is designed for more compatibility, more vendors create software for it because of its place in the market.
To, say.. install a scanner; this is much easier in Windows for sure.
A lot of it comes down to WHAT you want to do with your system.
play multimedia games like Madden2001 or run a dedicated CounterStrike server.
I'd recommend Windows98se personally. Although, it may become a bit obsolete in a couple years, there is nothing I can't do on it... short of true admin functions... like a webserver or true ftp hosting.
An OS that can play any multimedia, burn cds on the latest software, install 98% of all hardware (XP is such a joke in this category), a windows OS without Microsoft's XP bullshit, and play DOOM and DOOM3 perfectly. What else could you want?
I honestly couldn't recommend any flavor of Linux to someone who doesn't have command-line admin experience, but Linux definitely has some advantages. Windows, on the other hand, is easier to use, but that ease comes with a larger price and a LOT of overhead.
At my work, we have a Novell-3x machine... now THAT, I couldn't recommend to anyone. :P

Opulent said:

Windows is designed for more compatibility, more vendors create software for it because of its place in the market.
To, say.. install a scanner; this is much easier in Windows for sure.
A lot of it comes down to WHAT you want to do with your system.
play multimedia games like Madden2001 or run a dedicated CounterStrike server.
I'd recommend Windows98se personally. Although, it may become a bit obsolete in a couple years, there is nothing I can't do on it... short of true admin functions... like a webserver or true ftp hosting.
An OS that can play any multimedia, burn cds on the latest software, install 98% of all hardware (XP is such a joke in this category), a windows OS without Microsoft's XP bullshit, and play DOOM and DOOM3 perfectly. What else could you want?
I honestly couldn't recommend any flavor of Linux to someone who doesn't have command-line admin experience, but Linux definitely has some advantages. Windows, on the other hand, is easier to use, but that ease comes with a larger price and a LOT of overhead.
At my work, we have a Novell-3x machine... now THAT, I couldn't recommend to anyone. :P

Yep yep

Windows is mainly for compatibility

Linux is mainly for experienced users, about 800000% more stable. You can run a machine on Linux without a crash for a long time. However without proper emulation you can't run a lot of the Windoze based programs.

Unix is the shiznat for networks, servers etc (Which is what Linux is based off)

MacOS is for elitist assholes as described by pennyarcade.com!