Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Moments where you truly were freaked out

Doom 3 tries to shed some light on the horror aspect of Doom. Which parts of the game did you find to be creepy?
The easter egg in bathroom mirror?
Was it that moving skeleton in the vents?
The pinky banging down the door, only to break through the glass instead?
The lost soul introduction?
Something else?

To me, it would have to be the "they took my baby" moment. It caught me by surprise. The bloody footprints appearing out of nowhere, disappearing behind a door that never opens (I expected it to open.

What are the moments you actually got creeped out on in game?

There's that one moment when a trite climbs over a monitor you're interacting with, and it felt like it was actually climbing into the room I was sitting in. Quite clever, and probably my fave Doom III moment.

Never triggered by any monster, but that panel falling from the wall in level 4...
thought I'll faint or something

Early on in Doom 3, Mars City Underground, there's a part where you approach a set of stairs and an imp comes bursting through them. I nearly swallowed my damn heart when that happened.

A particular office room in a map I can't remember where there was subtle creepy ambient noise along with a few of those growth things in the corners making the squelching sounds and a glowing pulsating red light throughout the room, I was 16/17 around the time.

^IIRC that's the room where you find the joke PDA about how to do proper human sacrifices with goat blood.

Not me, but my older cousin almost fell from the chair when the pinky burst through the glass in some early level. He was like "It gave up, I'm fine" after it bashed the door unsuccessfully. Then he was looking at the pinky behind the glass and didn't even think that there was a possibility it might bash through it. He was completely shocked and after getting almost killed by the pinky proceeded to kill both of them with a panic grenade. I've never seen him so shaken since.

I personally was proceeding veeeeeeery carefully before the first mancubus segment. The groans kept me very tense.

That part of the game is one of the most memorable moments to me. You're stuck inside a room, a pinky tries to break down the door constantly, your heart is beating like mad, and you're focused completely on the door waiting for it to break down and face the pinky.

And next thing you know it comes through the glass window instead, an unexpected move, and basically gets an advantage over you.

It was an amazing thing id did there, making the player unaware of the fact that it can also come through the window. Even I freaked out a bit during that scene, telling myself "WTF?!" while frantically trying to aim my gun towards it. Nicely executed.

Pretty much every second of Alpha Labs - Sector 1. From the original vanilla Doom 3, not the BFG Edition. The original is far darker and more tense with the flashlight mechanic. I think it's the scariest map in the game, and also one of the creepiest levels of any first person shooter.

In particular, the part at 3:40 onward in the video below. With the huge, ominous mechanical noises that echo and slowly intensify in the background. Along with the moaning hums of jawless zombies. This part gave me genuine chills when I first played:

Oh yeah! Almost forgot about this. Yep, it's still the most deranged laugh ever. Thirteen years later.

When I think of Doom 3 I usually think of this particular encounter where a pinky is charging at me from the end of a long corridor. It's a really iconic moment; tense, immersive, cinematic. Sometimes the game really fuckin' nailed it.

The freakiest moment that I remember the most is the cut-scene of the woman who turns into a lost soul. I don't know, just the idea of an evil force taking over your mind and ripping your head free from your body just really unnerves me. The PDA journals and constant whimpering in the background leading up to this moment didn't exactly ease the freakishness either.

Agentbromsnor said:

The freakiest moment that I remember the most is the cut-scene of the woman who turns into a lost soul. I don't know, just the idea of an evil force taking over your mind and ripping your head free from your body just really unnerves me. The PDA journals and constant whimpering in the background leading up to this moment didn't exactly ease the freakishness either.

That moment was kinda softened for me when I saw the model for her dead body still had its head firmly-on-shoulders.

Job said:

That moment was kinda softened for me when I saw the model for her dead body still had its head firmly-on-shoulders.

Really? I thought that was just what remained of her head.

Agentbromsnor said:

Check it out. That's how it was in the version I played, unless it was corrected later in a patch.

Agentbromsnor said:

I don't recall seeing the body having a head afterwards. I remember seeing a headless body.

Surely id wouldn't make such a mistake during the development of Doom 3. How can one have a good horror atmosphere when the player isn't immersed?

m a n d e l a e f f e c t

hi there. I'd have to double check bfg edition, but for what I remember, theresa chasar's model always remains with her head.

ontopic: for as much as I really really love doom 3, no part freaked me out. But I'm generally not freaked out by games like, ever :)

There were two moments that actually freaked me out then:

I forget which level was it, I remember it being close to the first half, but it was set at the bottom of some stairs, there was this constant banging accompanied by a flickering light that turned red with said banging, and I saw a door completely covered in blood. When I saw the body armor there, I nearly jumped at the demon head that just popped out of the bloody door. Although, it wasn't because of the sudden jump, but rather because I remember now that said demon head took off a huge chunk of my health. 

Another moment that legitimately disturbed me was the lost soul introduction scene. The sound of sobbing that led up to the scene, the way that the lost soul just burst out of that woman's head, and even before that, I saw that she wasn't quite right. Unlike the first example, this particular scene still perturbs me to this day. 

The moment that freaked me out was in Alpha Labs- Sector 1 when you enter a room where there's a man stuck on the ceiling with his guts removed.

When D3 first came out I thought it was very scary. Replaying it again now, I don't feel scared at all. There are many cool moments though.

1 hour ago, Agentbromsnor said:

^ Do you happen to have ADD disorder?

HAHA! No, but long intros or cutscenes get under my skin. That's why I stick to old 90's games, for the most part.

34 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

HAHA! No, but long intros or cutscenes get under my skin. That's why I stick to old 90's games, for the most part.

Don't get me wrong; I do agree that long cut-scenes are stupid, I was genuinely curious. :P

Thankfully, Doom 3 does pick up after the introduction-bit.

On 18/2/2017 at 8:03 PM, Soundblock said:

There's that one moment when a trite climbs over a monitor you're interacting with, and it felt like it was actually climbing into the room I was sitting in. Quite clever, and probably my fave Doom III moment.

That moment caught me off guard, it freaked me out since it wasn't your usual D3 jumpscare

Wandering through the "Tech Ops" area in Delta Labs 1 or 2 I can't remember. There were a bunch of offices named for id employees like Seneca and Hollenshed. But the doors to the offices were locked but you could see inside them because the doors had glass and there were windows around. Inside the offices, zombies were banging there heads against the doors, eating each other, basically it looked like a quarantined area before it was overrun by the demunz. Later on you flip a switch and the inmates are released in that sanitarium-type area... Cool and scary, very simple psychological scares that messed with my head 

I have plenty, back in the day Doom 3 was the first horror game I ever played so I was easily scared.

There's a part where you are going through some vents or some source of the passage between pipes and tech stuff, and you are collecting pistol clips here and there along the way in the dark (the clips have lines of fluorescent lights, like most items so it can be spotted in the shadows) and suddenly one of those light moves toward you, I jumped off my chair.

To make it clear, they put a Maggot after giving you the rhythm of picking up those clips, so suddenly those clip lights are no clip lights, but glowing Maggot's eyes, and you are attacked with a low guard.