Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

Strife demo 1.0, diffs from 1.1

Ok, so what differences are there between the versions? I think I played the 1.0 version all those years ago, because I remembered that bolts were called arrows during pickups, and the assault rifle was called the "pulse rifle". Seems like in 1.1 these were corrected, but in the help menu the name "pulse rifle" still stands, just like the name "blaster" instead of "mauler". The gold icon is also the same. I've also noticed that the shape of the Sigil puzzle in the lower right was different in the 1.0 version, it looked in a way that would make its full version role practically impossible to fulfill.

Oh, and the pulse rifle's sprite looks different from 1.1, it has a much bigger stock, it's also hollow.

I know there are also some differences not apparent through gameplay, but I'm primarily interested in those. Did I miss anything else?

EDIT: Just replayed version 1.1 for comparison, and it turns out bolts are still called arrows and the assault rifle is still the pulse rifle. That brings the only differences I've noticed down to just the design of the Sigil icon and the appearance of the assault rifle, as described above.

Great game and I'm glad you brought it up here as it's really one of my favorite Doom-engine games. But as for differences between 1.0 and 1.1 I really have no idea. I don't know if the first time I played the demo was version 1.0, but I don't recall any differences between that and my later playthrough of the full version on DOSBOX (probably 1.1 or latest version), except of course that it was the full version.

Here's a site that has a changelog for 1.1 though:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/strife-uncut/downloads/stife-uncut-11

That changelog is for the mod, not for the demo.

Some data changes I've noticed:

• the GENMIDI is different on instruments 29 (Overdriven Guitar), 30 (Distortion Guitar), 32 (Acoustic Bass), 133 (Electric Snare).
  • the SERIAL lump (old: 960222; new: 960313).
  • LOG201 lump (old just say to wander around and exit; new talks about visiting the weapon trainer and medic).
  • The old demo has an additional music lump, D_INTRO.
  • A number of sounds are different in the older demo:
  • DSOOF: higher pitched
  • DSLGFIRE: non-layered
  • Door opening and closing sounds: take longer to play fully in old demo, with the "transit" portion (between the start and stop) looping on longer.
  • DSREBACT: in the old demo it's the Doom DSOOF instead of a weapon cocking sound.
  • DSRATACT: longer and lower pitched. I wonder if they didn't just triple its speed or something in the final version.
  • There's a DSWELCUM lump. It says "Welcome". Unfortunately it doesn't add "2 imp zone".
  • Several differences in weapon icons. The rifle's design is a lot more exotic. (This doesn't concern the HUD sprites, though.)

Gez said:

That changelog is for the mod, not for the demo.

Some data changes I've noticed:

• the GENMIDI is different on instruments 29 (Overdriven Guitar), 30 (Distortion Guitar), 32 (Acoustic Bass), 133 (Electric Snare).
  • the SERIAL lump (old: 960222; new: 960313).
  • LOG201 lump (old just say to wander around and exit; new talks about visiting the weapon trainer and medic).
  • The old demo has an additional music lump, D_INTRO.
  • A number of sounds are different in the older demo:
  • DSOOF: higher pitched
  • DSLGFIRE: non-layered
  • Door opening and closing sounds: take longer to play fully in old demo, with the "transit" portion (between the start and stop) looping on longer.
  • DSREBACT: in the old demo it's the Doom DSOOF instead of a weapon cocking sound.
  • DSRATACT: longer and lower pitched. I wonder if they didn't just triple its speed or something in the final version.
  • There's a DSWELCUM lump. It says "Welcome". Unfortunately it doesn't add "2 imp zone".
  • Several differences in weapon icons. The rifle's design is a lot more exotic. (This doesn't concern the HUD sprites, though.)

Whoa, now that's something I would never find out on my own! Thanks a lot, interesting stuff here for sure.