Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

some MIDI gifts i made for other people

i've been meaning to post this here earlier, but i'm lazy. here's a few MIDIs i've made recently for some of my friends.

the first one is a theme for made friend, Luriel. it's a power metal anthem i've had in mind for a long while, but only just made as i got the skill to make it. i'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

MIDI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m01cmxnh510ucyj/Theme%20for%20Luriel.mid?dl=0
MP3 preview: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/wz91ieywsz8u2te/Theme%20for%20Luriel.mp3?dl=0

the second one is part of an art-trade with another friend of mine. she wanted a theme for her character Chalcanthite, and in return i was gonna get a piece of visual art. this one's some hardcore/dnb styled MIDI, not as good as the previous one, but still turned out pretty good i think

MIDI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4z5oanklkeb2eo/Chalcanthite.mid?dl=0
MP3 preview: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hhfuhndn6brv0wy/Chalcanthite.mp3?dl=0

unfortunately the MIDI files are bloated beyond belief due to FL Studio being the way it is with channel events, but oh well.

Not sure why no one's responded to this. If there's one thing I noticed about your midi music, it's that it's usually the kind that goes along well with lengthy adventurous maps. Chalcanthite is my favourite out of both tracks.

Because it's midi, I gonna make a small wad just so I can listen to it in Doom and shoot demons at the same time.

But sheesh, the gargantuan size :P

hey thanks! :) i suspect it's the gargantuan size of my MIDI files that have put people off. that, or the thread title gave the wrong impression of what music it was i had made as gifts (Luriel's Theme is exceptionally Doom-y, only Chalcanthite is a bit too upbeat for the game).

Personally I almost never check the creative works forum so that's possibly another reason.
The first one has a good rhythmic feel going. It's not the type of music I usually would enjoy listening to (it's a little too repetitive overall in mood and tonality for my tastes) but I could certainly see it being used in a doom map where the repetitiveness wouldn't matter so much. The change at 4:30 or so was a bit of a sharp contrast to the beginning but that's still thinking about it from a doomy perspective, which maybe is not necessarily what you were going for with it.
Also Chalcanthite certainly isn't too upbeat for the game imo (have you played Ancient Aliens? :P), I can definitely see it going in a deathmatch or CTF map, and even a normal map if it had the right atmosphere. In fact I preferred it to the first midi, and I would be perfectly happy to be listening to it in doom. But then, plenty of people have criticised my own music for not being doomy enough so I'm kind of biased in this way. You should never be afraid to experiment with moods if you find a suitable place for them!

2 hours ago, stewboy said:

Personally I almost never check the creative works forum so that's possibly another reason.
The first one has a good rhythmic feel going. It's not the type of music I usually would enjoy listening to (it's a little too repetitive overall in mood and tonality for my tastes) but I could certainly see it being used in a doom map where the repetitiveness wouldn't matter so much. The change at 4:30 or so was a bit of a sharp contrast to the beginning but that's still thinking about it from a doomy perspective, which maybe is not necessarily what you were going for with it.
Also Chalcanthite certainly isn't too upbeat for the game imo (have you played Ancient Aliens? :P), I can definitely see it going in a deathmatch or CTF map, and even a normal map if it had the right atmosphere. In fact I preferred it to the first midi, and I would be perfectly happy to be listening to it in doom. But then, plenty of people have criticised my own music for not being doomy enough so I'm kind of biased in this way. You should never be afraid to experiment with moods if you find a suitable place for them!

oh believe me, if i got unlazy enough to start making some Doom maps, i'd insert all sorts of energetic/uplifting music that i have made over the years into it. Doom is actually a theme i constantly have in my head when making MIDI music, because that's where i know it from, and Doom is sort of a weird anamoly where you can put almost any kind of music into it, and it'll work, unlike Heretic and Hexen, which i feel need more specifically tailored music for.

would you suggest something else to make the change in the first song less jarring? i've always had a bit of a thing where i tend to change the mood of a song rather drastically, not really knowing how to bridge the gap better.

i feel Chalcanthite isn't very Doom-y, since i wasn't in a very Doom-y mood when making that song (it was part of an art-trade, and the description of my friend's character wasn't really lending itself to a Doom-y approach, so to speak). it has a bit too much push and stop that i feel would work poorly in singleplayer. for deathmatch purposes, maybe, if the level was bright and colorful enough.

thanks for the feedback! :)