Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeogred

Quake 1/2 demake wads?

Darkening E2 is deeply inspired by q2, and btsx E1 is inspired by that so in a roundabout way it has heavy q2 themes too.

Not Jabba said:

In this day and age, Quake itself almost feels too primitive to do a demake. It would be neat to see what a skilled demaker could do with some of the really amazing Quake mods out there though, like Rubicon Rumble, Something Wicked This Way Comes, or Honey.

I'm assuming Quake fan maps and mods are another deep, deep well I could get lost in. lol

Not Jabba said:

In this day and age, Quake itself almost feels too primitive to do a demake. It would be neat to see what a skilled demaker could do with some of the really amazing Quake mods out there though, like Rubicon Rumble, Something Wicked This Way Comes, or Honey.

Not if you do it for vanilla. Then you're trying to convert 3D maps to a 2.5D engine that's designed to run ok on 486-class machine.

hex11 said:

Not if you do it for vanilla. Then you're trying to convert 3D maps to a 2.5D engine that's designed to run ok on 486-class machine.

I realize that Doom is more primitive than Quake. However, most of the ways that Quake itself uses true 3D would not, in my opinion, be all that interesting to demake in vanilla Doom, and the detailing and layouts are not significantly more complex than Doom's other than the fact that rooms were placed over other rooms. A project like Arcadia demade, which required a complete reconstruction and reimagining of the space, seems a lot more interesting to me.

Xeogred said:

I'm assuming Quake fan maps and mods are another deep, deep well I could get lost in. lol

Stop whatever you are doing and immediately play "Honey" by CZG. Then grab the "Arcane Dimensions" mod. You're welcome.

Death Egg said:

I've always wanted to see how much of Quake 1 could be recreated in vanilla Doom, specifically Ultimate Doom because of episodes. (With no main hub support, Doom II would be a bit of an odd choice... It's not like DEHACKED couldn't let you do anything differently aside form no Super Shotgun) If only NMN had made more than just the Vore...

Some of the E1 maps have good conversions, and various other Base/Castle levels should be doable. But then there's stuff like Ziggurat Vertigo and the various maps where you have to swim a lot. Those would be more challenging. Someone creative can probably find a way...