Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

Does It Run Doom: Porsche Edition

Now I'd like to see a COMPET-N demo recorded with this controller configuration in realistic traffic conditions. Or some automotive safety activist requesting a takedown, since this promotes reckless driving ;-)

This is so great ^^

I would imagine, at least in theory, that if you left this on and constantly recording new demos while driving around, you'd eventually get a demo which completes a map, which would be absolutely brilliant. On so many levels; none the least the fact that shooting equates to honking the horn.

Crazy though this is, I'm more interested in why he has a toaster in his car.

mouldy said:

I assume that the toaster is also running Doom.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to strafe...maybe with the blinking lights?

BTW, is that Porsche's entertainment center/console Windows-compatible? At least it would appear to be so from the design of the GUI...to the point that the guy could run an unmodified source port on it, with the added benefit (or extreme luck?) to have the default "hardware" controls of the map conveniently mapped to Doom's standard controls.

Before watching this video I'm already imagining a person rigging the steering wheel and gas pedal to the game controls and blowing through red lights and into oncomoming traffic to avoid fireballs.

Probably in a Lada or Yugo too, if you fit them with the same infotainment center. You might have to do a lot of manual wiring yourself though. And having the weapons switch with the gear changes....not a very good thing if you have less than 7 selectable gears. And what exactly will you map to Reverse? The chainsaw? ;-)

Now, with a Unimog, you have a bit more leeway *grin*

Then of course there are the Lamborghini tractors:

If you watch the screen in his car carefully you can see that his supposed inputs don't match up and there were clearly sounds and music added in post because the acoustics don't match that of the camera mic. I've been doing video production for a decade and this stuff is easy to spot.

mouldy said:

Probably a nod to his older video, where he uses Toasters to control Doom movement.

Yeah the toaster video is highly suspicious too. I mean seriously just look closely at these videos, they don't match up to the supposed inputs. It's a very cute form of trolling.

Linguica said:

Hey guys did you know the word "gullible" is not actually in the dictionary?? Look it up and see!

Even if fake, sounds like something which may actually be attempted for real some time.

GoatLord said:

Yeah the toaster video is highly suspicious too. I mean seriously just look closely at these videos, they don't match up to the supposed inputs. It's a very cute form of trolling.

I don't think it's so much trolling as it is just light parody.

It's weird, more and more I'm seeing people refer to harmless jokes as trolling these days. The 'harmless' bit is the crucial differentiator.

Also I kinda wish this was real despite how impractical it would be. After all, that's never stopped Doomers before!

So the guy was probably playing a video file or something?

Maes said:

So the guy was probably playing a video file or something?

More than likely. He loads the game way too quickly and it doesn't make sense that a CD-ROM from the 90s would load onto any modern OS. He also starts Map01 with a chaingun. And yeah I shouldn't have said trolling, he's not doing anything malicious. It is indeed lighthearted parody. I think it's pretty damn entertaining.

So Austin Powers likes Doom eh?

Some of the YT comments are funny:

"I tried this on my BWM and crashed it into a tree, what should I do."
"Try pausing the game and entering code idclip and iddqd and you'll be fine."

GoatLord said:

it doesn't make sense that a CD-ROM from the 90s would load onto any modern OS.

Sure it does. The file systems haven't changed. You could easily read doom2.wad off of them. :p

I would actually like to see someone try to load Doom onto a car computer like this, though.

GoatLord said:

He also starts Map01 with a chaingun.

He starts with a couple of weapons and then plays a modified version of Dis. If you watch the menu it appears that for MAP01 he goes to the Load Game screen, rather than new game. So, I'm guessing that it was a Test Save File meant to show off how to "Scroll weapons."

chungy said:

Sure it does. The file systems haven't changed. You could easily read doom2.wad off of them. :p

Do modern cars with a modern infotainment computer still have an optical drive slot?

I believe most cars do at least have a CD drive for playing music CDs. A DVD drive isn't far-fetched either for both movies and GPS data.

I wonder if the revenue he got from the toaster video paid for the Porsche

"this video is fake..."
"...because of the cd-rom drive"
"...starting with a chaingun"
"...the controls don't match"
"...probably playing a video file"

Yeah, that's definitely the first things you should pick up on. Not the obvious nudge nudge wink wink body language and manner of speech.

Phml said:

Yeah, that's definitely the first things you should pick up on. Not the obvious nudge nudge wink wink body language and manner of speech.

Whatddya expect, we're all a bunch of asspies with assburgers.

It's true. I'm trying to sound cool pretending those weren't my thoughts as well. But it's all a lie. A terrible, shameful lie.