Question on video options

Please forgive what are probably some basic questions. I've searched around the forums and the Wiki and was unable to find an answer for these:

In video options, what exactly is the "Legacy" mode, and how is it different from 4:3?

Also, which options are identical to the original aspect ratio when it comes to things like 640x400 vs. 640 vs. 480?

Thanks!

I'm not hugely sure, but the source code lists them as the following:

// Legacy settings, w/aspect-corrected variants
static const char *legacyModes[] =
{
   "320x200",  // Mode Y (16:10 logical, 4:3 physical)
   "320x240",  // QVGA
   "640x400",  // VESA Extension (same as 320x200)
   "640x480",  // VGA
   "960x600",  // x3
   "960x720",  // x3 with aspect ratio correction
   "1280x960", // x4 with aspect ratio correction  
   NULL
};

In short, the aspect ratio option doesn't actually change anything in the engine itself, it just changes what screen resolutions are listed. Aside from some very specific resolutions, Eternity will apply aspect ratio correction.
Put simply, using your monitors native resolution is typically the best option, and the aspect ratio option only changes internally listed resolutions to pick from, although you can custom define whatever resolution you want.

Edward850 said:

In short, the aspect ratio option doesn't actually change anything in the engine itself, it just changes what screen resolutions are listed. Aside from some very specific resolutions, Eternity will apply aspect ratio correction.
Put simply, using your monitors native resolution is typically the best option, and the aspect ratio option only changes internally listed resolutions to pick from, although you can custom define whatever resolution you want.

Ah, okay. That's helpful. So I don't need to really look at the video mode and instead just pick my preferred resolution.

For resolutions Eternity offers that are very similar, ex. 640x480 vs. x400, what's the difference? Wouldn't one be distorted?

It gets kind of weird but that's the reason why it's called legacy. 640x480 would be aspect corrected, as it's a normal 4:3 resolution, however 640x400 is left "square" as that resolution assumes you're running on a 4:3 CRT, the same as 320x200, as not many LCDs have that as a native 8:5 resolution.
The exception I believe is 320x240, which is actually too small to apply aspect correction to without running into issues with integer scaling.

Edward850 said:

It gets kind of weird but that's the reason why it's called legacy. 640x480 would be aspect corrected, as it's a normal 4:3 resolution, however 640x400 is left "square" as that resolution assumes you're running on a 4:3 CRT, the same as 320x200, as not many LCDs have that as a native 8:5 resolution.

Perfect, thanks! That was my best guess (a CRT vs. LCD optimization thing), but it's good to have confirmation.

All questions answered. Much appreciated.