Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustABroccoli562

What's your type of playstyle of doom source ports?

I play in QZDoom with modern FPS controls (freelook etc.) aside from jumping and crouching unless the wad is made for it.

When playing in GLBoom+, I still have freelook on but use the regular Doom autoaim so playing feels similar to demo recording.

WASD, whether I use freelook or not varies depending on how vanilla I feel like going.

WASD+Mouse. Freelook is a conditional thing and I wish Eternity had a single keystroke toggle for it instead of only menu options and a hold-for-mouselook key.

These days?

• freelook on.
  • crouching off.
  • jumping off.
  • Steam Controller.
And before you ask: no, I'm not as good with a Steam Controller as I am with WASD and a mouse.

i use GZDoom with WASD and freelook, i don't normally jump and crounch in wads, but the functions are on and binded (jump to spacebar, and crounch to c)

ZDoom with WASD and single-axis mouse. I used to use freelook, but then I discovered things like rocket jumping and other ways to "cheese" the level, so I quit. I never use jump or crouch, unless the WAD requires it.

In short, everything is vanilla except that I can't play with keyboard only or with infinitely tall monsters.

Keyboard only, no freelook, jumping, or crouching (unless required). Nearly all keybindings are default.

Joining the keyboard only crowd here. Default bindings.

ZDoom:
bugs and limitations of vanilla fixed - infinitely tall actors off, lost soul limit off, blockmap bug fixed.
No jumping, crouching or looking up and down.
Always UV -fast.

Port -- usually Doom Retro, sometimes Doom Legacy or Crispy Doom

Bindings -- WASD for movement, Space for Use, Y-C for turning left-right, R-F-V for looking up-center-down, left mouse button for shoot, right for mouselook OR Use, middle button is usually strafe.

Skill -- always HMP

grommile said:

WASD+Mouse. Freelook is a conditional thing and I wish Eternity had a single keystroke toggle for it instead of only menu options and a hold-for-mouselook key.

Can't you bind a key to that in the console?

I always play Vanilla wads with Dosbox. I usually play with keyboard and mouse but sometimes I use only the keyboard when the wad is easy.

For limit-removing and co , I use Glboom+ because it keeps a old-school playstyle (no freelook , no jump , no crouch...)

bzzrak said:

Can't you bind a key to that in the console?

No, you can only bind a key for "hold-to-look", not "toggle looking".

I play mostly Zandronum coop and single-player (in GL mode), using the arrow keys for movement, with freelook and mouselook on, and auto-aim off. I know (now) that WASD would be better, but when I started playing FPS games long ago, I used the arrow keys because I was afraid of missing the intended key and hitting one of the many keys around it. It has been so long (longer than some of you have been alive) that it would be very hard to change it now.

Even in Doom Builder's 3D mode, I use the arrow keys to move, and the ,./' keys to adjust textures.

I use WASD with Auto-Aim. Sometimes I use Freelook, which I keybinded to Shift.

I personally find original Doom's control style... extremely uncomfortable. I mean, moving around by moving the mouse around is very hard to do for me, and when my mouse gets to the edge of the mousepad, I always have to slightly pick it up and reset it back into the center. It is impossible to use. To bad the original Doom doesn't have any in-game ways of configuring controls... I would have switched it to WASD right away.

Freelook, arrow keys (and surrounding keys), no jump unless the map needs it. GZDoom is standard port to use, maybe experiment with QZDoom as well.

Crouch is sometimes used but not frequently and absolutely no auto-aim.

Freelook with wasd. Although I'm on a macbook so I'm using the trackpad instead of a mouse. It's not so bad once you get used to it.

GZDoom, WASD, no mouselook (unless a mod or a weapon requires it), always autoaim, and holding down run. Also use numbers to select weapons.

WASD but I've been trying to learn to move with capslock AWD since my keyboard buttons are small and wasd needs putting the hand in a very stupid un-natural pose.

Haven't been playing very long, but WASD + arrow-key turning, cntrl fire, shift run and space bar to use; keyboard only. I'll pick up a mouse eventually and probably switch to WASD + mouse without freelook, unless a mod calls for it.

Wouldn't feel right to me to add it to the commercial iwads, as they aren't designed around it, and it would make certain sections substantially easier than they're supposed to be.

Cipher said:

Wouldn't feel right to me to add it to the commercial iwads, as they aren't designed around it, and it would make certain sections substantially easier than they're supposed to be.

Not designed around it? If I run SETUP.EXE for Doom v1.1 and exit without choosing my own settings, the default controller mode is Keyboard + Mouse. To be fair, the menu's default value in the menu is Keyboard only, but they were clearly using a KB+M setup in development. (And for the record, the default and menu-selected choices in sound and music are both Gravis UltraSound, so the divide in this case was a calculated distinction.) I would guess that the menu choice was keyboard-only because not everyone had a mouse and so going with a known controller input was the safe bet.

I don't know where people get this idea that Doom was designed specifically for keyboard-only play in mind, like it's this massive handicap. The v1.1 demo reel quite obviously uses the mouse, as if to lure the players into the sensation of both smooth and sharp turning. (My own pet theory is that the demos were made ONLY using the mouse for movement, to make them look competent but not like the play of a veteran.) If anything, the missing component is circle-strafing (which, mind you, keyboard-only play doesn't prevent), and that's quite possibly because no one realized it was a good idea in 1993.

EDIT: Well nevermind, guess Cipher wasn't talking about KB+M anyway (see next post).

Since you're moving into Final Doom, I would recommend that you stop handicapping yourself, if it is indeed handicapping. (There are enough Doomers around here that would attest to KB-only legitimacy.) You'll enjoy Doom more, regardless of the WAD content, if you're playing at your most comfortable.

Getting back on topic: I was keyboard (though my mouse was a trackball early on) until I played Quake, and once I started typing +MLOOK into the console it was KB+M all the way. Took a while before I made the move to WASD, but I've been using it ever since. Source port-wise, I prefer vertical mouse movement, which makes ZDoom awkward with its independent sensitivity that is never quite powerful enough for me.

CapnClever said:

Not designed around it? If I run SETUP.EXE for Doom v1.1 and exit without choosing my own settings, the default controller mode is Keyboard + Mouse. To be fair, the menu's default value in the menu is Keyboard only, but they were clearly using a KB+M setup in development. (And for the record, the default and menu-selected choices in sound and music are both Gravis UltraSound, so the divide in this case was a calculated distinction.) I would guess that the menu choice was keyboard-only because not everyone had a mouse and so going with a known controller input was the safe bet.

Sorry; I meant freelook, not keyboard + mouse. I'm aware the latter has been a viable control scheme for vanilla Doom since 1993. I made an edit to that post that probably left it less clear than it should have been.

I use Crispy Doom nowadays since it loads all of the pwads the way I personally like to play them, as if playing in vainilla. About the iwads, I used Dosbox yo play them before I found Crispy Doom which is now my main source port. The only minor differences with my vainilla playability are that I prefer to see the stats of the map (number of secrets, monsters, and items), and that it runs the wads faster and smoother.

Zdoom, strict-compat, custom weapon mod which changes nothing but graphic that I assembled myself, no freelook, WASD, auto run.