Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

Kruise - Demon Smoothie

Kruise is my newest WAD of sorts! It is not very different, but maybe it's be fun, not too detailed (at least not everywhere!), but hey, did this exit switch just... pop in front of me?

Download here.

Screenshots would spoil some secrets. Here are a couple from the starting area.

Spoiler

The style isn't 100% consistent, so surprises await you! (...and want you? well, they are maleficent surprises after all MWAHAHAHAAHHAHA)

Now move on, marine!

EDITS:
1:41 PM UTC - Fixed a monster duplication bug in the last area.

Map Stats:

Compatibility - Boom (tested with ZDoom, PRBoom+ on early stages)
IWAD - Doom II
Required PWADs - None
Extra Info: AttributeError: 'map' instance has no attribute 'extra_info'!

You're getting somewhat better in terms of layouts, but this is way too small and too easy, the traps were too easy to avoid (slowly and clumsily lowering traps were poorly implemented).

Not much to say, too small for serious feedback.

Thanks for the feedback joe, it is intended to be small (I'm not really interested in Ribbiking my editor out right now), I'll Turbo the blue key room's traps and TRY to fix that ugly early access switch bug in the beginning.

It is also quite relaxing (hence "smoothie") on easy and meant to be fun at the same time. And at the same time have it so that UV is sigmoidally challenging and HMP normal.

Screenshots are already a massive improvement from any previous work I've seen of yours, kudos. Though the amount of health bonuses in screen 1 are a bit much.

Maybe not too detailed and rather easy (I was expecting a stronger monster(s) behind the red door), but I thought it was pretty fun. Really liked the layout and level design in general!

This is a big step up for you. Well done! I had recorded a demo for you to watch but enabled the wrong compatibility settings and was unable to flip the switches in the blinking lights room. Whoops! My mistake.

The main room is impressive; I like the scale of it. With the ledges you've created and the monsters you've put on them you've developed a much better understanding of how to make a fun playing space: the player now has to think about where he's moving and what he can use in the environment to gain an advantage. He has to prioritize targets; it makes the combat more interesting.

The area beyond the BK door is not quite up to standard with the main room because it lacks the necessary cover to make the monsters you've chosen suitable for it, and because the lights are broken. You'll want to study how to effectively use lighting effects like blinking and glowing lights in areas where there are multiple sectors connected to each other. Otherwise you end up with a seizure of a light show, like you have here.

A couple of other points:

1. Try not place opening bars too close to the doors or lifts that they're blocking. Here, you can lower the lift with the hellknight behind it before raising the bars.
  2. The archvile in blinking-lights room is not a good selection because of the lack of proper cover, but even if the player had that cover the fight would still be more difficult than the fights with the hellknight and baron near the end of the map. These two monsters are not as fun by themselves; they are very easy to dodge!
  3. The secrets are fun, good work! I'd make sure the rewards make sense in a level that is as short as this one, though. Most of the difficulty comes at the start of the map, and the player is unlikely to make use of a soulsphere or blue armor after he's cleared out the level.
  4. The textures are mostly sensible, but I'd be careful with using a texture like DOORSTOP on a bit of wall that is wider than it is long (i.e. horizontal versus vertical). It's a texture that's designed to be applied on a long and thin stretch of wall, no wider than 8 or 16 units. I know the player can't really see the sky hole in the main area's ceiling that well, but it's an important and helpful rule to follow when trying to make your map look attractive.
  5. Try not to place too many items like health bonuses in a bunch like you have here. Players in vanilla and boom-derivative ports will be blinded by the off-white pick-up effect.
You still a long way to go, but you're improving fast. It's great to see. Keep at it!

Neato map, I liked the rocketlauncher secret and the room with all the blinking lights.
Also this is the first time in a while that I've heard the entryway theme for longer than 2 minutes :u

If you make a map with some stairs, height variation and all like you did here, in a bigger map then I think it might be pretty solid.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! This map sure deserves to be made a big one. Too bad the starting room's layout is hard to extend, but I should really make sure that the blinking room blinks at a regular interval, and that I may provide more fun in this map!