Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Source port with built-in random level generation?

No, but ManDoom can do something similar. If you're not on MSW and don't want to use Wine, you're probably out of luck.

Just use Oblige and load the wad. I am pretty sure you can do it in a batch file, so you just double click it and go.

You can't need the source port to create the maps.

Source ports exist to play the game, specifically to play arbitrary maps and mods given to them, and their development tends to be busy with features related to playability. Building maps is just out of their scope, as it can be done by other utilities and the resulting maps can then be played in any source port.

Neither SLIGE nor OBLIGE are great or useful enough. I long for the abiity to let the designer procedurally design the random level in the wad, and distribute that code to be interpreted by the port or intermediary tool. This way, you get random levels which actually have the designer's thought behind them, and no longer become predictable for the player who has used the common tools long enough.

I would like to have a super-simplified editor where the user just draws basic rooms and corridors from the overhead view, puts important switches, locked doors and keys and optionally places important monsters and weapons. In other words, just outlining the map and its progression.

Then the program transforms this into a detailed, textured map with height variation, props, traps etc.

My intentions were to add some code to parameterize the generation, based on the current stats of the player. I can track ammo usage, the action pattern and things like that to increase or decrease difficulty, making the gameplay more fluid. I can also use that to dictate a better tone: make a very difficult level, with lot's of actions, and then cool the player down with some mild, easy level with some puzzles.

On 24.2.2017 at 2:15 AM, printz said:

Neither SLIGE nor OBLIGE are great or useful enough. I long for the abiity to let the designer procedurally design the random level in the wad, and distribute that code to be interpreted by the port or intermediary tool. This way, you get random levels which actually have the designer's thought behind them, and no longer become predictable for the player who has used the common tools long enough.

Why is OBLIGE not useful? I used it 3 or 4 times and I really enjoyed it.

Probably because he isn't satisfied with the fact that computers haven't overthrown and replaced humans as the dominant entity on Earth.

On 2/24/2017 at 1:15 AM, printz said:

This largely sounds like WadC.