Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I have more info about these?

IIRC 1.666 was the release after the swastika was removed. For that reason I would expect the value to be considerably lower. Just because it's presumably more rare. I'm sure they have some value to the right person, but the real value will come when the mass produced discs start to fail. If you want the value to raise, I'd consider researching how to preserve it. Humidity. Temprature. Do you have the box? Instructions?

You can certainly find more info by Googling, "DooM 1.66". I've read a lot about it without even trying. I'm sure I've seen it on Idgames as well.

It's only worth what someone will pay for it. Meaning it's worthless unless you find the person who just has to have it and has a few hundred dollars they need to get rid of so they can have a floppy disk version of Doom 1.666.

For the vast majority of people it's garbage. Maybe you should hold on to it for another decade, when floppy drives are a curio or relic. As of right now, it's an antiquated format, the game is available on virtually everything from a phone to a printer, and people have no interest in floppy drives.

Clearly I know that Doom is available to modern formats....I just wanted to see how much this registered version is worth...

Jello said:

Maybe you should hold on to it for another decade, when floppy drives are a curio or relic.

You're aware it's 2017, right?

everennui said:

IIRC 1.666 was the release after the swastika was removed. For that reason I would expect the value to be considerably lower.

WTF?

Linguica said:

You're aware it's 2017, right?
WTF?

Yeah v1.4 is the version they first removed the swastikas I think in a level or sumthin(homage to Wolfenstein, pattern of lights in dark room made swastika on floor)

Linguica said:

WTF?

I'm not sure what that's in regards to. I recalled incorrectly. It was version 1.4 that removed it. Do you think that the value of a physical copy of the game Doom would be worth more or less with the swastika? I said and think that the version with the swastika would be worth more. I then explained that it's because of the rarity.

This isn't a baseless conclusion.

If you got a particular magic card: http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Unholy_Strength in March of 1995, you're looking at a way more valuable card than one released in April of 1995.

Controversy sells.

Again... I'm not sure if your, "WTF?" was regarding my complete butchering of Doom history (I should probably Google stuff, but I get lazy on the phone) or the suggestion that the swastika would increase the collector value of the game. I have to assume that the swastika version is more scarce.

Addendum(s): Here's why I'm confused.

Doom Versions on Wikipedia
"1.666 (September 1, 1994) - Contained improved network code and a new version of deathmatch called Deathmatch 2.0. In addition, the Swastika pattern in episode 1, map 4 was altered.[1]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_versions_of_Doom

Doom Wiki:
"1.4 The swastika easter egg in E1M4: Command Control was removed." http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II

I'm wrong either way, just saying.

Well this is indeed interesting. I'm a pretty big video game collector myself, although I'm really talking about Atari 2600, NES and Genesis. I never played much on our old PC, except for W3D and DOOM and even then my brother had them in bootleg floppy disks so I never though of them as having value as collectibles.

In any case, some video game cartridges can be REALLy expensive, and they don't even have to be that old (some SNES and N64 carts go on Ebay for ridiculous prices).

Does anyone know what a first version of DOOM would be worth? I'm talking about a CIB (complete in the box) copy. I tried to search on Ebay just out of curiosity but I'm no expert on DOOM retail versions and don't really know what to look for.

Linguica said:

Wow, that looks beuatiful, both of them. Still, I would've thought they could sell for much more; maybe the retro game price bubble just affected classic Atari/Nintendo games because of brand recognition? Who knows, but I'd love to get me one of those!

possibly. no box hurts the value greatly. I was poking around, saw a similar set for about $60. Do they work? It's cool and all of that, but good luck selling it with no box.

Whether or not the floppy disks are still good is just about the least important part of them. 3.5" floppies are not terribly difficult to open and it would be pretty straightforward to swap out the magnetic storage media from ones from some "new" floppies and press them back together. Copy over the original files and it would be practically impossible to tell the difference.

Of course, you could just print counterfeit labels for counterfeit disks and make your life easier... I'm looking at you fraggle...

everennui said:

(...)
Addendum(s): Here's why I'm confused.

Doom Versions on Wikipedia
"1.666 (September 1, 1994) - Contained improved network code and a new version of deathmatch called Deathmatch 2.0. In addition, the Swastika pattern in episode 1, map 4 was altered.[1]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_versions_of_Doom

Doom Wiki:
"1.4 The swastika easter egg in E1M4: Command Control was removed." http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II

I'm wrong either way, just saying.

Long time ago I made some screenshots ...:

http://doomgate.de/cruxgammata/index.html

I'll check the other versions after V1.4 later...

everennui said:

I'm not sure what that's in regards to. I recalled incorrectly. It was version 1.4 that removed it. Do you think that the value of a physical copy of the game Doom would be worth more or less with the swastika? I said and think that the version with the swastika would be worth more. I then explained that it's because of the rarity.

This isn't a baseless conclusion.

Nah, it is completely a baseless conclusion. I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody cares about that swastika - it's not some huge controversy, just a pretty obscure factoid in Doom's development history. It's probably reasonable to say that the earlier versions of Doom may be more valuable, but only because they're comparatively rarer. It's actually pretty weird that you've fixated on that one fact, hence the reaction you've got here.

I'd bet my last dollar that Doom sans-swastika will be worth less than the latest version with it. It won't just be because it's a newer release and I'm sure the price will reflect this. I could go out of my way to find other instances where a market has been effected in similar ways, but I'm confident that it has made its way into pop culture enough to resonate with an acceptable portion of people who read this. It doesn't have to be a swastika, it could have been anything. It's not a black mark on Doom. Taking it out in someways strengthened the Nazi association with the symbol, but it's consistent with how US and many other cultures deal with this type of phenomena (Germany for example, completely banning the use.) The, "Doom Swastika" isn't the most significant piece of videogame history, but given the tone surrounding videogame culture during this era it is worth noting. Nazi's are very retarded. (Legitimately retarded. Per definition.)

Addendum: I fixated on that aspect of the point release because I mistakenly said that his version was the version that excluded the swastika. If you look at version 1.4 1.666, you'll note that there are only a few modifications. Like I said, I was wrong and because of that, it makes it seem strange to focus on that aspect, but had it been correct it would be a substantial part of the point release.

Addendum 2: It would be more weird to me if I would have stated some obscure not-note-worthy-factoid like, "that's the version they shifted the texture of linedef 442 by two pixels." or something of that nature. I actually find the reactions - after I explained I was wrong - ominously weird in a way I can't point my finger at it.

Anytime I see something on the Internet I assume it's wrong. If it's something that interests me, I look it up. When I see, "IIRC", I think, "well, this person is wrong but at least they are being honest about their falibility." then I'll look it up - provided it's something that I'm interested in.

I happen to be Insanely interested in this type of history because it speaks volumes about a culture.

I guess I can understand the sensitivity of a community under scrutiny from various places throughout history, but not everyone who talks about swastikas is a Nazi.

Addendum 3: Thank you @DoomGater for the clarification.

Addendum 4: @Linguica That was a pretty nefarious snippet of my original text. Choosing to omit the next sentence isn't really fair.

everennui said:

If you got a particular magic card: http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Unholy_Strength in March of 1995, you're looking at a way more valuable card than one released in April of 1995.

Controversy sells.

He did clarify tho???? What he's saying makes absolute sense
...Like the hanging corspe in "wizard of Oz".....

everennui said:

Thats not even close as to why an alpha unholy strength is more valuable than a, lol, 4th edition one.

First of all alpha magic cards where the first ones ever mass printed, and as being such, they're rare as hell, are a different edge cut then every other print, and are automatically the most valuable magic cards. only High end Vintage cards are worth a damn from 4th edition (and wrath of god), everything else is pennys.

If you want to talk about controversial magic cards, look to invoke prejudice http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/legends/invoke-prejudice

Not to mention the old unholy strengths card art was ass. Edited or not.

everennui said:

I'd bet my last dollar that Doom sans-swastika will be worth less than the latest version with it.

Give it up dude, you're literally the only person who thinks this. I get that you may have a personal interest in controversies like this but your personal interest in this matter has nothing to do with real world market value.

You've actually got your thinking about this ass-backwards. It isn't that "controversy sells", it's that rare things are worth more (by supply and demand) and controversial things sometimes get pulled from the market, leaving them rare and valuable.

The MTG card you cited is actually an example of this. The pentagram version of the card is rarer because later editions removed it, so there are fewer of them floating around. You really think people are buying that card because they get some weird kick out of it being controversial?

There are plenty of other examples I can cite where controversy is irrelevant - a simple example would be that Registered Doom on 5.25" floppy disks is rare and expensive because almost everybody was using 3.5" disks by then, so there are fewer copies of it around. People value things that are rare and unique, and sometimes that's due to controversy, but far more often it's rare for some completely different reason. You'll find plenty of v1.2 copies of Doom out there (with the swastika) and they really aren't especially rare or worth any more than the v1.666 copies. They aren't rare because they were never banned or pulled from the market, and the change you mention really wasn't any big deal or controversy.

Alright, now that we have the stupid fucking swastikas mystery found out...Let's not harp on it any longer.

Would it be easy to say this version I own(the one this particular thread is actually about...) Is worth about 60 dollars today give or take?

$60 to the right person, good luck on your journey. I advise trying to auction it, as someone might find more value in it.(edit) I would wager Fraggle knows much more about doom collectibles then I, so I would advise listening to him over me.

1.666 said:

Alright, now that we have the stupid fucking swastikas mystery found out...Let's not harp on it any longer.

Haha, right on. Sorry for shitting up your thread.

1.666 said:

Would it be easy to say this version I own(the one this particular thread is actually about...) Is worth about 60 dollars today give or take?

If you had the box, manual and other bits then you could probably get $60 for it. Honestly I don't think you'll get that much for just the disks. Maybe $20. I'd consider if it has more value for you in a sentimental way rather and consider just hanging on to them.

I have a feeling that anytime anyone mentions the legendary, "Doom Swastika" the value goes up. Anyone could have version 1.4 > 1.9, but the people who have 1.0 > 1.3 have a very controversial piece of video game history. This is the game that sold PCs. No other game in history can boast the claim that they sold more copies than Windows. John Romero can claim that he took it out because he was asked by a veteran to do so, but on top of that fact, they were selling a number of games that they couldn't have ever predicted. They were selling games with a very esoteric, reference (Wolfenstein). If you break it down to the simplest form, you have a 25 year old guy (Romero) who was trying to be edgy, "Swastikas look cool, man." He made a mistake and then realized that they needed to take it out (for whatever reason).

To be so nonchalant about this issue is to ignore the thousands of people who associate(d) Doom with Nazism. You can't say that's not the case, because John Romero even addressed it in an interview.

That MTG card was THE REASON for cards being pulled. The card was such a black spot that they edited it. That's history and because of it, it has Historical Value. All 3rd edition cards have more value, but THIS CARD has even more value because of its history. The CONTROVERSY changed the market. It wasn't a misprint or an ink problem (which would add value) it was controversy.

When John Romero says on celluloid that, 'we took this out because of this' there is a bit of prestige in having a copy that corresponds with what he's talking about. I would guess that the market for these games hasn't hit its peak, but when it becomes hard to procure these discs, things like this, "trivia" will be associated to its value. There is absolutely no question in my mind of this truth.

Addendum: I am also sorry about derailing this post.

If controversy sold, then 1.666 would be extremely valuable because of the version number's (quite intentional) sacrilegious nature.

Turns out that's not the case, 1.666 is fairly common and not as highly valued as a result.