Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Make Freedoom Great Again

I've been out of the loop with Freedoom recently but I just wanted to chime in and say that I think this is a great idea. We've seen with Protox leading FreeDM how this can make a big difference.

@Blastfrog shared a very early concept WAD to me. I dont think I should share it though. Lets just say, it can be good or bad.

I've been exceedingly busy IRL, I have not had much time to work on it since that concept WAD I sent to Voros.

The way I see it, there is no sense of urgency. Chungy stated that he'd like to have a check-in by the end of this year. That means I have 9 months. While this is important to me, I have higher priorities outside of this forum.

Please don't beg to see it, I'll show things when I feel ready.

@chungy may have wanted to check in 9 months later, but others that frequent this forum probably don't.

@Catoptromancy, a guy who's literally been a one-man-army with the vanilla conversation phase, isn't a czar but he is a contributor, specifically in maps. He, and others here, can point out bugs that you didn't notice and fix them.

Point is, all the other czars (except @AD_79, who won't be working for sometime, and @Amarande, apparently doesn't frequent that much on the forums) have posted up development threads on their cluster of maps. Everyone at least knows what the plan is, what to expect, when to expect updates, etc. That's all people want. Progress updates, on you cluster of maps. Even if you don't have much show, at least it's something; better than nothing.

Edited by Voros

Voros, please don't assume a position of authority. Whether the czars want to develop in a bazaar-like model out in the open or a cathedral-like model in private, it's their choice. Blastfrog has no obligation to show what's in progress.

2 hours ago, chungy said:

Voros, please don't assume a position of authority. Whether the czars want to develop in a bazaar-like model out in the open or a cathedral-like model in private, it's their choice. Blastfrog has no obligation to show what's in progress.

I only stated my opinion. I didn't ask him to show his progress, just that he should think about it.

I'm sorry if my post came out in an authoritative manner.

Edited by Voros

I will chime in here to say that Voros has been something of a go-getting cheerleader for FreeDoom, being pretty instrumental in organising people to get stuff done on the thing; assuming something of a producer role for the project.

For this, I'd cut him a little slack at least.

18 hours ago, chungy said:

I have my doubts that such a working model is going to result in a good product. Right now we have most people working on Freedoom coordinating their efforts, EXCEPT Blastfrog. Do you really believe that something good will come out of something where no feedback can be given? The risk of having a rift in quality and style between the different part is just too high.

Just from my experience at work, it was certainly a good idea to divide the whole thing into sections and hand them to different people, but considering you are the overall producer here, it should be your job to coordinate the project as a whole, making sure it remains cohesive. And sorry, if all your input is discouraging others from voicing their opinion you are not working for the better of the project. Where's the overall guidance?

You and others have very valid concerns. I hope that my public demo will put everyone at ease. I'm going to give myself a hard deadline for that demo: July 20, 2017. I will remove myself from the mapset if I have nothing out by then.

I cannot emphasize enough that, for highly personal reasons, I will not have a workable amount of free time until the end of this month. Yes, I may have bit off more than I can chew, no, I don't want to hear about it until that self-imposed deadline.

That's the kind of updates people wanted from you. Looking forward to what you'll show on July 20.

after my major laptop issue i stay out lot of time, and now of i'm back freedm is going at full speed i think, so i'll focus on it and let map11 and episode 2 for later on, also i'm going to do a cirurgy in my foot day 22 so, its possible or not of i disapear few days again.

sorry if my inglish hurt you.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:13 AM, chungy said:

Let's say we see what happens by the end of 2017 and work from there. :-)

So...?

No real progress to speak of, currently laser focused on dealing with massive personal issues. If this is a problem, the maintainers are free to talk to me privately.

I suspect this is going to bother some people, that's understandable, but I don't plan to discuss this with anyone outside of the project staff. I'm not publicly going into detail but I'll just say there are deeper reasons for my lack of followup.

There’s absolutely no reason to explain yourself, that’s entirely fine, you are entitled to your privacy and I personally hope you are working things out.

There’s also nothing wrong, imho, in your slices being reallocated to others, if the admins deem it necessary. But I don’t imagine they do, yet. (No idea though. Not keeping track)

Sorry for the Necro, but I have noticed quite a lot of texture misalignments and other oddities with the textures in a lot of Freedoom maps. If the curators/czars are okay with it, and have some finalizations for maps they have considered "good", I would like to go through and fix up a lot of the misalignments that I have found.

I have also noticed some things like switches (or important doors) being either invisible (aka using a standard wall texture, almost like a secret, but an important critical-path door). There are some switches which are just plain walls, or are up really high on a wall which makes them really hard to see, especially on non-mouselook sourceports.

I would love to go through and fix all this up, without changing anything meaningful in the maps (I don't trust myself to create fun gameplay, although I might give it a go if people are okay with it).

Also, I think the sprites need some major work. The textures and maps are relatively high quality, but some of the sprites are beyond awful (the pistol guy sprite and some of the decorations come to mind). I can't help there, but it might be a good idea to look for some artists. The sprites are definitely a cut below the quality of the rest of freedoom.

I heard indirectly about the current state of FreeDoom from some other Doom players.  They did not consider it to be worthy of downloading anymore.  I looked myself and found that my level map contributions had been replaced by this neon junk.  I won't even consider playing that kind of mapping.

Apparently the project plan of people contributing to Freedoom, of members signing up to contribute a level map,

has been usurped by a few people who have moved in on the freedoom name, like it was an someone else's house they could trash for their personal whims.

The original freedoom project, upto freedoom-iwad-0.8 still has my permission to use my level maps, and sprites.  That is what I contributed to.

I will be transferring that work to a new wad project, probably a community project, I just don't know where.

Because you are trashing other peoples contributions to make this into your personal project, this new project does NOT have permission to use my level maps, or sprites.

This is NOT the project that I contributed to.

I do not want to be associated with this new version of freedoom.

I doubt that there is much left that you have not replaced anyway.  But, the last time I looked the Pain-Elemental, the SpiderDemon, and the Revenant, were still my work.

I want it clear that I do not allow you to grab stuff of mine at your whim.

I think most authors of the stuff you are planning to grab are going to have the same opinion.

You want to trash everything not to your liking, so why not get your own project name, and create your own work.  Why did you have to trash the nearly completed FreeDoom community project.

Just because you had control of it and could.

7 hours ago, wesleyjohnson said:

Just because you had control of it and could.

When you gave your contributions to this project you should expect the fact they are going to use it for whatever purpose they have. It's the explicit goal of the project to have everything be used for any reason. But I'm not blaming you. After all, the development model of this project is rather loose anyway.

I've entirely lost interest. Feel free to find someone to take over for me.

Yeah I made a post back in August 2018 indicating that I didn't have the time to work on this. Honestly I'm probably more busy now than I was then. With both Switcheroom 2 & Perdition's Gate Resurgence probably coming to a finish this year a best case scenario would be that I could start working on this again in 2021, though even then I do have other projects that I am working on that be taking up part of my time. It would be best if you could find somebody else to take over for me.

I did put quite a bit of work into this before quitting though. Maps 21, 22, & 24 were finished. Map 23 was near done, I had only to test it in vanilla. I started on maps 25 & 29. I never got around to adding Gothics map 30. Here is the work I put into this if you care to take a look.

Freedoom E3

I've been in the discord to say as much, reiterating here; I'm also stepping down. I lost motivation for the project some time back, and can't even recall what overall vision I had for the second cluster of FreeDOOM 2 maps.

This project is messy.
We do not know who does what and therefore the things to correct, it sometimes takes more time to correct some really badly mapped maps with lots of problems rather than just redo one. When I play freedoom iwads I have the impression that some maps were made by novices and I don't even understand what they do in the project .... When it's not misaligned textures , these are poorly closed areas or a pack of life in the middle of a passage, a lack of ammunition, monsters wedged ... In short at the mapping level everything is to be redone, especially that vanilla compatibility is requested ... And when we send a corrected map on discord we just have the impression that this community does not care completely.

I am currently working on Episode 4 of FreeDoom, if anyone would like to help out i just PM me and we can discuss from there

I'm still around, and I'm still going to do this thing my way. I've been exceedingly busy, but I still have every intention of fulfilling my duty to this project, and I've found myself having a lot more free time due to recent events. I've decided to privately collaborate with others of my choosing instead of going it entirely alone, and have already been in communication with a few others about this.

I'm planning to do livestreams soon, to share my progress and receive feedback in realtime. I'm just waiting on my new microphone to arrive in the mail. Realistically, it's not going to be here for at least a couple weeks, but I hope to start streaming by the end of May.