Make Freedoom Great Again

I've been out of the loop with Freedoom recently but I just wanted to chime in and say that I think this is a great idea. We've seen with Protox leading FreeDM how this can make a big difference.

2 people like this

On 3/14/2017 at 3:28 PM, Blastfrog said:

I'll do with my cluster as I see fit.

Please make a thread so people have some clue as to what is going on. 3 bugs posted in your cluster, pretty sure two of those are entirely different by now. 

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/issues

@Blastfrog shared a very early concept WAD to me. I dont think I should share it though. Lets just say, it can be good or bad.

Edited by Voros

Posted (edited)

I've been exceedingly busy IRL, I have not had much time to work on it since that concept WAD I sent to Voros.

The way I see it, there is no sense of urgency. Chungy stated that he'd like to have a check-in by the end of this year. That means I have 9 months. While this is important to me, I have higher priorities outside of this forum.

Please don't beg to see it, I'll show things when I feel ready.

@chungy may have wanted to check in 9 months later, but others that frequent this forum probably don't.

@Catoptromancy, a guy who's literally been a one-man-army with the vanilla conversation phase, isn't a czar but he is a contributor, specifically in maps. He, and others here, can point out bugs that you didn't notice and fix them.

Point is, all the other czars (except @AD_79, who won't be working for sometime, and @Amarande, apparently doesn't frequent that much on the forums) have posted up development threads on their cluster of maps. Everyone at least knows what the plan is, what to expect, when to expect updates, etc. That's all people want. Progress updates, on you cluster of maps. Even if you don't have much show, at least it's something; better than nothing.

Edited by Voros
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Voros, please don't assume a position of authority. Whether the czars want to develop in a bazaar-like model out in the open or a cathedral-like model in private, it's their choice. Blastfrog has no obligation to show what's in progress.

2 hours ago, chungy said:

Voros, please don't assume a position of authority. Whether the czars want to develop in a bazaar-like model out in the open or a cathedral-like model in private, it's their choice. Blastfrog has no obligation to show what's in progress.

I only stated my opinion. I didn't ask him to show his progress, just that he should think about it.

I'm sorry if my post came out in an authoritative manner.

Edited by Voros

Posted (edited)

I will chime in here to say that Voros has been something of a go-getting cheerleader for FreeDoom, being pretty instrumental in organising people to get stuff done on the thing; assuming something of a producer role for the project.

For this, I'd cut him a little slack at least.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, chungy said:

I have my doubts that such a working model is going to result in a good product. Right now we have most people working on Freedoom coordinating their efforts, EXCEPT Blastfrog. Do you really believe that something good will come out of something where no feedback can be given? The risk of having a rift in quality and style between the different part is just too high.

Just from my experience at work, it was certainly a good idea to divide the whole thing into sections and hand them to different people, but considering you are the overall producer here, it should be your job to coordinate the project as a whole, making sure it remains cohesive. And sorry, if all your input is discouraging others from voicing their opinion you are not working for the better of the project. Where's the overall guidance?

Edited by Graf Zahl

Posted (edited)

You and others have very valid concerns. I hope that my public demo will put everyone at ease. I'm going to give myself a hard deadline for that demo: July 20, 2017. I will remove myself from the mapset if I have nothing out by then.

I cannot emphasize enough that, for highly personal reasons, I will not have a workable amount of free time until the end of this month. Yes, I may have bit off more than I can chew, no, I don't want to hear about it until that self-imposed deadline.

That's the kind of updates people wanted from you. Looking forward to what you'll show on July 20.

after my major laptop issue i stay out lot of time, and now of i'm back freedm is going at full speed i think, so i'll focus on it and let map11 and episode 2 for later on, also i'm going to do a cirurgy in my foot day 22 so, its possible or not of i disapear few days again.

sorry if my inglish hurt you.

Edited by Xindage

Posted (edited)