Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoeKilledKenney2016

id Software's Co-Developers on Potential for Doom Sequel!!!

Recommended Posts

The answer lied in a self-aware narrative — a game that "knew it was dumb" and "celebrated the fact that it was really kind of stupid," Hugo Martin explained.

“You're trying not to insult the audience's intelligence,” Stratton said, pointing to the game’s opening where Doom Slayer tosses aside a computer monitor as the system spouts exposition. “The best way to not insult their intelligence and to do something smart was to actually be completely obvious and super silly about it.”


smh

Share this post


Link to post

Lets hope they do so:

“We left ourselves a really, really amazing canvas and a lot of colors to paint with going forward,” Doom co-director Marty Stratton said to IGN during DICE 2017 in regard to whether id software is interested in new projects or continuing to explore this new iteration of Doom


My only concern is they develop Hell into a multidimension fantasy heavy metal rock and skull world. The original Doom games always caused a weird and scary feeling because Hell reminded you of fate, judgement, fear. This doesn't mean they should choose Doom 3s seriousness.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, they'd have to make a cliffhanger ending to do that.

Doom 4's ending was pretty complete. You foiled Hell's most recent plan, and Hayden locks you away because otherwise you'd prevent him from taking the Crucible and destroy humanity's future. There's nothing "to be continued" about that - it just keeps room for a sequel, rather than shoving the potential for a sequel in your face.

Share this post


Link to post

This article isn't really saying anything that hasn't been said though. Comically, in the article, they say literally nothing about a sequel. We'll see one eventually though.

Share this post


Link to post

Um, this article doesn't seem to imply that a sequel is coming soon. What's more likely to happen is that they will release more multiplayer DLC, more Snapmap updates, and possibly even a singleplayer expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Man of Doom said:

even a singleplayer expansion.


The reason people are clamoring for a sequel is because we pretty much gave up on the idea of a sp dlc long time ago and now everyone is convinced they are interested in a full blown sequel. But sequel or expansion, the point is MOAR CAMPAIGN

PS I jizzed in my pants.

Arctangent said:

Well, they'd have to make a cliffhanger ending to do that.

Doom 4's ending was pretty complete. You foiled Hell's most recent plan, and Hayden locks you away because otherwise you'd prevent him from taking the Crucible and destroy humanity's future. There's nothing "to be continued" about that - it just keeps room for a sequel, rather than shoving the potential for a sequel in your face.


Logically, that's a great point.

But feelings wise, HOW DARE YOU?

Share this post


Link to post
Arctangent said:

Doom 4's ending was pretty complete. You foiled Hell's most recent plan, and Hayden locks you away because otherwise you'd prevent him from taking the Crucible and destroy humanity's future. There's nothing "to be continued" about that - it just keeps room for a sequel, rather than shoving the potential for a sequel in your face.


Except Samuel Hayden has made it clear that he has every intention of continuing the projects that lead to Hell breaking out in the first place. It should be plainly obvious that it's not going to end well, someone else will take Olivia's place in being manipulated by the demons.

Share this post


Link to post

You seem to have missed the point that Hayden was the one who started the project in the first place.

He's not some newcomer to the scene. He's been there since the very start - if Hell wanted to corrupt him, he was in position the entire time. But they didn't, despite him actively doing stuff that would make their plans so much more difficult ( see: retrieving the Doom Slayer ). It's likely that Hell doesn't have an easy way to do anything to him, if at all - if he's the next point of failure, then something went terribly, terribly wrong.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't say necessarily that Hayden would be the one to get manipulated but, unless he plans to run the entire show by himself, and good luck with that, SOMEONE on his team will become the next Olivia. The demons will offer some weak hearted individual ultimate power and they'll take the bait. Either that or Argent Energy will prove far less safe than Samuel assumes. Hell, the Cyberdemon was reawakened because they stupidly gave him the ability to regenerate injury, which he used to regrow the frontal lobe that they removed to keep him unconscious.

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

I didn't say necessarily that Hayden would be the one to get manipulated but, unless he plans to run the entire show by himself, and good luck with that, SOMEONE on his team will become the next Olivia. The demons will offer some weak hearted individual ultimate power and they'll take the bait. Either that or Argent Energy will prove far less safe than Samuel assumes. Hell, the Cyberdemon was reawakened because they stupidly gave him the ability to regenerate injury, which he used to regrow the frontal lobe that they removed to keep him unconscious.


Guys you reminded me of something - the datamined codex entries about hayden being the dark priest corrupted by the crucible that were removed from the final game iteration. So yeah, good point. Dont think hayden's plan will end up good and it might very well be a cliffhanger ending.

Share this post


Link to post

I would rather have DLC campaigns than a sequel. I really don't want to wait 5 years for a new Doom game when the one we got just last year is fantastic. The SP campaign is pretty much everything most of us could of hoped for. Build on that Id! THen once you exhaust it, then focus on a new Doom with a new engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Zemini said:

I would rather have DLC campaigns than a sequel. I really don't want to wait 5 years for a new Doom game when the one we got just last year is fantastic. The SP campaign is pretty much everything most of us could of hoped for. Build on that Id! THen once you exhaust it, then focus on a new Doom with a new engine.


could have* ... sorry but I had to.

Anyway, even quality DLC takes a while to come out nowadays sadly, esp. the level of quality of this new revamped doom series. Should not take as long as a sequel though (I think).

Share this post


Link to post
JohnnyTheWolf said:

smh

Still salty about how Doom 2016 is not the citizen kane of gaming?
The OG Doom games were not perfect by any means but they got the job done pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post

I can do with something new, not just another Doom game..

Share this post


Link to post
jazzmaster9 said:

Still salty about how Doom 2016 is not the citizen kane of gaming?

Wouldn't the Citizen Kane of videogames logically be more about gameplay, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Edward850 said:

Wouldn't the Citizen Kane of videogames logically be more about gameplay, though?


The whole idea of the "Citizen Kane of video games" is there would be a game that would finally bring video games into a respected art form (and also to prove I totally didn't waste my time playing that crap, Mom!) while completely missing the point as to why Citizen Kane is so important to filmmaking.

Really, due to the ever-changing evolution of game mechanics you could point to several games in the FPS genre alone that could be considered something like that. Wolf3D, Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Halo, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare could each
have a legitimate case as to things they brought to the table whether it was new ways of story-telling in the game, improvements in graphical technology the games brought, or just simply making controls on certain platforms not suck.

Share this post


Link to post

Citizen Kane of gaming is Ocarina of Time. However it seems that Breath of the Wild might over take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Zemini said:

Citizen Kane of gaming is Ocarina of Time. However it seems that Breath of the Wild might over take it.

Too subjective to get a universal agreement.

Wouldn't Dues Ex be a proper contender?

Regardless Doom is the citizen of Kane of FPS.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, you mean in the sense that it drove other companies to start making "Doom Clones", firing up the genre. I was thinking in a more broader public sense, which Doom didn't really do a good job in since it was unfairly blasted in the media for its subject matter.

Share this post


Link to post

You know, I'm willing to bet there is some group of artists within the team continuing future Campaign content design. Whether or not there willing to go public about it is at there own discretion..

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

Romero released a couple of remade maps but that's it as far as I'm aware.

Really? when did Romero release those maps? I didn't know about this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×