Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SArais

Public Trashbin of map ideas [name pending]

Ever have a map but no idea where to take it? Or maybe you've got a good map idea; but you're terrible at detailing. Or you just don't know how to make a map flow reasonably well from one room to the next. Somewhere along the line, you've got a good map, but you just don't know how or where to execute it; or whatever you make just results in boring repeated STARTAN Corridors with mismatched and poorly fitting textures; and need better texture suggestions and recommendations.

As I still try to figure out the best means of going about mapping, I decided to make a veritable scrap-book of maps. Everyone is free to edit or modify them to their tastes; and vice-versa. Push comes to shove, the idea is that these don't simply drop into the abyss and are never picked up or used again.

Whatever your reason; here it is. A de-facto scrapbook of maps. If you have no idea what the hell you're doing; maybe somebody else will. Maybe you want to experiment with some mapping detail or triggers; or maybe you want to figure out good monster combinations. Whichever the ploy, we're here. You may even get lucky and have your map redone into something more presentable.

I mostly made this for practice and testing purposes, and there are loads of bugs and likely balance issues, but this isn't the point; the point is to get some ideas down out of my head, and maybe manage to get off the supposed roadblocks.

Maps are as follows, and required source-port:

Map01 - Trashyway. At least zandro. Polyobj experimentation, various detail experiments, voodoo experimentation, wall explosion experimentation (the rockets are going up instead of down which is the wrong way.), map flow experimentation
Map02 - Slough-n off. Latest multi-sector-over-sector port (the hand will not show properly otherwise), likely GZD (detail experiment, map flow experimentation, slope experimentation (mancubi room was going to have a lot of slopes, but i couldn't get it to look the way I wanted), attempts to get a scrolling ceiling texture (unsuccessful))

http://imgur.com/a/g0HbE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/285zwxuw4nrwpvj/zandjunk.wad?dl=0

Note that this isn't a bin of deliberately terrible maps (we can always do Mock 3 for that, and even then I wouldn't go for the "deliberately terrible" route for it); this is more for those that are hitting roadblocks and are not sure where to go with what they have; and for others to come together in shoulder leaning terms; so that we quit buggering the damned thing up, making our maps somewhat respectable to those with much more refined tastes. Don't be afraid to submit literally anything; even if it's non-traditional or even properly playable; as long as the map actually starts, you can put it here and give some info on what spurned it into existence.

Guest Unregistered account

An underwater level that take place in a Submarine, with various spots where you look out of metal-framed windows and see the ocean (ideally Vanilla. It would require custom textures, so...

Kapanyo said:

An underwater level that take place in a Submarine, with various spots where you look out of metal-framed windows and see the ocean (ideally Vanilla. It would require custom textures, so...

I did this in Skulldash's level 01 titled 'Yellow Submarine'.

Upon reflection the interior doesn't feel too "submarine-y" but the concept it still there. I feel I could revisit this concept some time! :D

On topic of the thread itself:

I've always wanted to try to re-create an on-rails shooter such as The House of The Dead (The House of the Doomed?) or Time Crisis within GZDoom. I know there are scripts out there that could make this possible for sure, but I've never taken the time to try to make it happen!

If anyone wants to take this idea on board, go for it! I'd be willing to contribute some maps. :)

I've had a map just like this sitting around for six years, if I remember tonight I'll upload it with a description of what my plan was.

It would be interesting to see a while megawad or mapset of maps that otherwise would have suffered in development hell finally seeing the light of day, provided that project didn't fall in the same trap...

Death Egg said:

I've had a map just like this sitting around for six years, if I remember tonight I'll upload it with a description of what my plan was.

It would be interesting to see a while megawad or mapset of maps that otherwise would have suffered in development hell finally seeing the light of day, provided that project didn't fall in the same trap...

That'd be cool, also a good mapping exercise to try to mimic other's style to finish projects like this up.

Anyway, I once had a cool plan to "remake" Tricks and Traps that had the player starting in a cave leading out to a large canyon, with several different paths loosely based on the original paths in the IWAD map. After collecting 2 keys and going back to the center, the canyon would lower down like a sinkhole revealing the final key and an arena fight, with all 3 keys being required to exit. Very desert-based map.

But I'm pretty much trash at bringing ideas to fruition without a base or restriction , so if anyone wants to take that idea from there, I'm all for it.

Something based around "catching" items before they either go on a loop- or get lost or destroyed w/e. Be it with doors or ceiling stuff to cage things moving on conveyors. Keys, weapons w/e!

I have a lot unfinished wads,with nice detailed (and not so) starts,but nothing more. I don't have motivation and time to finish them,so I could provide these wads for people who want do experiments on them.

When I was about 10, I built the initial Dehacked coding for a zombie focused gameplay mod.

It turned every enemy into a fast melee-only zombie at a different state of dismemberment: some were fully functional with all their limbs, some had lost legs and were crawling, some were missing an arm or two and resorted to biting and scratching.

What's more, the more-healthy zombies "death" states spawned less-healthy variants, so the visual effect of you "killing" a zombie was actually of you blowing a limb off or two. The body sprite of the original monster was just the limb that had been blown off to emphasize the effect.

I even created a boss "zombie spawner" creature whose attack was the Pain Elemental death animation, so flung out three new zombies (repurposed Lost Souls) every time it attacked. In a few minutes, it could fill a whole room with zombies. It was an amazing boss battle.

It took me months of work and calculations within Dehacked's limits, but when I was done, I realized I completely lacked the art skills to actually create the sprites necessary, so the whole thing was abandoned. Shame really, it would have been so cool.

Bauul said:

When I was about 10, I built the initial Dehacked coding for a zombie focused gameplay mod.

It turned every enemy into a fast melee-only zombie at a different state of dismemberment: some were fully functional with all their limbs, some had lost legs and were crawling, some were missing an arm or two and resorted to biting and scratching.

What's more, the more-healthy zombies "death" states spawned less-healthy variants, so the visual effect of you "killing" a zombie was actually of you blowing a limb off or two. The body sprite of the original monster was just the limb that had been blown off to emphasize the effect.

I even created a boss "zombie spawner" creature whose attack was the Pain Elemental death animation, so flung out three new zombies (repurposed Lost Souls) every time it attacked. In a few minutes, it could fill a whole room with zombies. It was an amazing boss battle.

It took me months of work and calculations within Dehacked's limits, but when I was done, I realized I completely lacked the art skills to actually create the sprites necessary, so the whole thing was abandoned. Shame really, it would have been so cool.

Please get someone good with art to do this. Pppplllleeeeeaaaassseeeee.

A idea i always had in my mind (and even tried to do a map with such concept) since the first days of mapping is a map that needs the coop mode to be finished, like 4 (or more) different buildings with a player start in each building, or a map that uses different paths for player spawn bur that all leads to the exit room and in the middle there could be some switch that activates a door / lift / whatever important for the other player(s) to pass trough, but it's inaccessible from where it is...

walter confalonieri said:

A idea i always had in my mind (and even tried to do a map with such concept) since the first days of mapping is a map that needs the coop mode to be finished, like 4 (or more) different buildings with a player start in each building, or a map that uses different paths for player spawn bur that all leads to the exit room and in the middle there could be some switch that activates a door / lift / whatever important for the other player(s) to pass trough, but it's inaccessible from where it is...

Didn't some levels in Memento Mori do that?

Still a neat concept tho. Might actually keep this in mind next time I open up my editor.

I'm certain at least one of the MM maps did that.

Sorry for absence. My pc seems to have caught a virus or something that prevents internet access. Going to have to wipe the whole computer unfortunately, to fix it?

Guess that's my wad collection, alongside other things.