Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

QueToo project team looking for mappers.

"Quetoo is looking for experienced mappers! or even if you have never mapped before but would like to learn how it's pretty easy! Come hang out with the Quetoo Team on Discord or IRC. Very nice people there everyday.

They've taught me how to use GTKradiant and been able to answer any questions I've had.. Sometimes sitting down n watching a tutorial can be a real drag... but talking to someone in live chat.. and having them explain how the software works can really make it come to life very quickly and make the experience much more rewarding.

Quetoo is like a Quake 2 remake with modern graphics... improved netcode.. plays a bit like Quake3 or quakelive.. you'll find elements from all the Quake series even doom, unreal, others FPS arena games, etc.

its open source and in beta right now.. so its free to download and runs fine on Mac Linux and Windows. updates are being pushed daily so if you do download the game to try it out.. make sure java is installed/updated and run the Quetoo updater before trying to play. Please vote on Steam Greenlight for Quetoo also if you don't mind so it can reach even more quake fans around the world!" -Quetoo team.

I've been following this one for a while, but something about it is just..off. It lacks any strong visual style and is unbearably lifeless and bland. I'm far more excited about Doombringer than this game. You can tell even in it's very early stage Doombringer has so much more artistic flair.

Doombringer does indeed look very good, But the Quetoo team is looking for mappers and feedback, and the game is currently open to the public. I was just throwing it out there trying to help them out.

I mean no offense, but it seems too much like Quake. The game has no style of its own and even the "Quake with modern graphics" seems like a bad selling point. Quake's art style was never appealing and brought about the brown phase of first person shooters. Watching the trailer I really felt as if I was just watching Quake.

To top that off, people can play Quake on PC and on Steam. Its not like "there's a Metroid clone" or "there's a Harvest Moon clone" because those games are only on Nintendo. In this game's case they will just say "I love Quake lets just play Quake."

Prove me wrong!

This legitimately looks like Quake 2 with the serial numbers filed off, and not even the part of Quake 2 I gave a shit about.

Not being unkind here, but this looks like a Cease & Desist order in-waiting. Watched the vid in this thread, which starts with an almost-identical Q3A shotgun, to see a new weapons appearing that look almost exactly like the Q3A originals; couple with that the "hitting an opponent" sound, and the obvious Q2-inspired texture work.

As an artist myself, I respect people's original visions and all, but you should change this. DRAMATICALLY. Because as-is, this is not an original vision.

I thought people were being awfully harsh until I actually looked at the video and yeah... this is a total knockoff POS. Did they just take one of those high-res drop-in texture packs and try to pass it off as a new game? Because it sure looks like that.

Tried playing it just now, and it crashed spectacularly. First in the menu, and second time after I tried to connect to one of the multiplayer servers.

I'm thinking this game still has a long way to go...

Jayextee said:

Not being unkind here, but this looks like a Cease & Desist order in-waiting.

I too was wondering about that, I saw them reaching out for mappers and thought I'd spread the word.

If there needs to one, id will see it here and issue one.

I booted it up, ran fine for me. Map editor wouldn't run for me though. It's like playing quake 2 with the darkplaces engine all spiffed up.

Like many other people are saying, this looks a bit too much like Quake.
Maybe if it has some maps that break the mold, add a new set of textures, and make the animations better, it'll be definitely worth my vote for Greenlight.

geo said:

Quake's art style was never appealing and brought about the brown phase of first person shooters. Watching the trailer I really felt as if I was just watching Quake.

Didn't want to bring the thread off-topic but I have to disagree here.

Quake's art style is one of the best things about the game, in my opinion. That and the level progression is what sets it apart from Quake 2, which was thematically an over-the-top-gory sci-fi shooter with Quake weapons.

But you are right with saying that the art style in the trailer looked too much like Quake.

Yeah I've been following this for a while myself, I honestly wish they would come up with some original character and texture design, I mean, even FREEDOOM has a different art-style than DOOM and that game is supposed to be one of those "lets make place-holder graphics, sounds and maps for this game that is open-source but has non-GNU assets!".
Heck, OpenArena (Q3A opensource) has a different art-style than Quake and they are gonna take that even further with the OA3.0 fork.

Some of the levels in that video are lifted right from Quake2 death-match. For all the work that probably went into this, they could have just converted the Q2 DM maps to Q3A to strike the balance seen here.

I enjoy seeing that Youtube detected this game is Quake 2. Also 1 in 6 downvotes. How many times can one Greenlight say Quake without being Quake? Its said 13 times...

Meanwhile, over on the real Quake page, Quake mentions itself... zero times. The only time it shows up is in reviews and headings of what game it is.

On the plus side with 140+ comments I'm sure it will be Greenlit before Greenlightageddon happens.

Despite the sweeping negativity, there are perfectly valid points being made here. However these are reasons not to buy the game. This is a thread requesting mappers. So if you’ve played a lot of arena shooters and are interested in pursuing a level or game design career, this is a pretty grand opportunity to get your foot in the door with a pretty fair and easy premise. Sure the game is practically a 1:1 recreation of quake, but all that really means is that you can design levels using prior knowledge you carry over from quake and not have to learn new quirks of a new and completely original game. People who are interested in getting into level design professionally have an opportunity to network with independent developers and feel what it’s like to work with a team. At the same time, build a resume that may be helpful for a future career if that’s the kind of path you want to take. If you don’t like the game, that’s fine. Adrian Carmack evidently didn’t enjoy working on Commander Keen sequels. But it did eventually lead to him being able to work on the projects that he really loved. You gotta walk before you can run.

Greenlight is going away and being replaced with a new system so it won't be as easy to get a product on Steam due to the flood of asset flips, abandoned games or just plain poor in quality.

40 Oz is correct. This thread is about finding mappers. I am ignorantly derailing the thread to negativity and keeping it bumped. Now to bow out for people who can stay on topic better than I can.

With that said this is a great opportunity for mappers to pad their resumes and hopefully make some money.

geo said:

40 Oz is correct. This thread is about finding mappers.

Yeah I have nothing against the project, I hope everything works out, but I can see the aforementioned cease and desist happening, or people simply not taking an interest because the game doesn't offer anything new. It's really just Q3A in Quake2 skin.