Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Back to Saturn X demos [-complevel 2]

Thanks. That was basically the first time I screwed up that jump more than once (and it isn't something I do even once that often), but the laws that govern my long demos make it so that there is always a novel embarrassing screw-up when I finally reach my goal time. :D  

Oh god... 3 afternoons for these. Now I'm thinking probably my skill sucks and I should do some casual playthroughs...

Map01 always used up my ammo. Probably I'm not patient enough to things infight, so ended up killing too much things by myself.

Map02 is probably the one I don't know what to do about the last part. Those Lost Souls ruined my day so many times, and I hate that Invisibility secret!

Map03 is funny, although my time is good enough for me, but I still somewhat can't tolerate that 2 mistakes in the run (not grabbing the Chaingun, and taking the wrong direction after grabbing the Rocket Launcher)...

(It's funny that there's an energy cell in Map03 which doesn't make any sense because you can't fire 2 BFG shots anyway. Now I know because in the original version, there's a Plasma Rifle, but they took it out in the new version.)

Youtube Videos:

Map01 in 4:25

Map02 in 3:29

Map03 in 2:12

Demo Files:

b101-425.zip

b102-329.zip

b103-212.zip

Edited by GarrettChan

This is not my final route, and honestly, it's very funny that this one is the best one I can get. After rewatching my own thing, I'm not satisfied, so I'll give it a couple of more tries (actually hours) tomorrow. The last room though... that Cyberdemon rarely fires rockets, and probably there's a better way to deal with the Arch-viles. My route probably is more luck based, and if it works out, sub 6 should be fine. And those cells are killing me, why not remove them...

Youtube Video:

Map05 in 6:04

Demo File:

b105-604.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

After 10 attempts or so, RNG works out and done sub 6. I'm satisfied by myself at the moment although there are some flaws in the run.

Youtube Video:

Map05 in 5:53

Demo File:

b105-553.zip

Edited by GarrettChan

I have a question about Map06. Since there are a bunch of preplaced corpses in one room and 3 Arch-viles will teleport in, they will resurrect those things but it doesn't count as kills in the smart total of PrBoom+. If I'm going for a UV -Max, do I need to kill those monsters if they are resurrected?

Although it doesn't really matter, just for curiosity sake.

Edited by GarrettChan

Yeah, those should be killed. Not just from the logical standpoint, but even the inner working of the map: they're monsters slaughtered by a massive chain barrel explosion at map start, so the vile resurrection rule applies to them.

Table filling run. Not really enjoy this level for some odd reasons, but I actually think the difficulty is fine. Those 3 Arch-viles may have some problems, but probably my way to deal with them is not that good.

Youtube Video:

Map06 in 9:24

Demo File:

b106-924.zip

This map has an interesting name, so we can assume that Spider Mastermind is a female ;P

This map is extremely non-linear, so you pretty much can go wherever you want. It feels like doing a Eulerian trail problem. Having a crazy amount of Spider Masterminds is one thing to notice, so how to plan Invisibilities is quite a thing here. I don't know why I have a feeling you shouldn't directly face to face when using BFG against Masterminds because mostly I can't one shot her.

Another thing is what is this? I read about this, but I forgot the name of this problem. Please tell me if you know. Thanks.

Youtube Video:

Map07 in 6:52

Edited by GarrettChan

56 minutes ago, dew said:

Oh nice, you've triggered an intercept overflow, resulting in the all-ghosts effect. It's a rarity that... trashes your demo, oops!

Well... 128 things huh... It's out of imagination in this map...

Well then... 45 seconds improvement, which makes me think that I didn't put any effort to get the previous one. This is probably my limit, so I'm done with this map.

Youtube Video:

Map07 in 6:07

Edited by GarrettChan

I simply just can't control myself, do I? I don't even know why this one is 11 seconds faster because the last Revenant screwed me. There are still several obvious mistakes, but probably I don't want to bother it anymore, for now. I hate Revenants!

Youtube Video:

Map07 in 5:56

Demo File:

b107-556.zip

Back to Saturn X E1M09: Some Drilling Implied
This map... is just so not fun to me. There are many things can go wrong in this map. For example, the first Mancubus can totally get in your way, so 80% of the runs end in the first 10 seconds because he decides to be an asshole. Then, another thing is that Arch-vile can spawn in different places. One of them is particularly bad because there are Revenant corpses and the mentioned Mancubus corpse. Although not always something gets resurrected, it's bad enough to deal with this.

After the first pass (5:32), I knew that I can't control myself even I hate this map. Then like 50 attempts (you know... 40 of them last only 10 seconds) in, the second pass is done in 5:14. However, there are still flaws inside, and I also discovered that using the edge of the top platform can open up the 3rd Arachnotron, so I don't need to come back and deal with it in a lower altitude, which is not good, so I know the time can be improved.

Another XX attempts in, I got several passes with 5:2X, so I'm getting desperate and think this might be my limit and I should stop. Then a surprise run with nothing goes right happened. I got a pass in 5:04, and this run fills with problems. The Arch-vile mentioned above didn't spawn in the place I wanted, and I forgot about the second secret and I took a detour to get it. I hate when the game teases me like this, just because I finished a very problematic run and beat my own time... Then I decided to make it sub 5 and move on. Well, I got several pass in 5:0X and 5:1X. Then a hour later, I finally reach my goal... This time should still be able to improve, but that's not my thing...

BTW, dew told me that intercept overflow is rare, which is not true because I got another one on this map ;P

Youtube Video:

Map09 in 4:58

Demo File:

b109-458.zip

Heh it could be that the complexity of btsx maps makes it easier to hit various static limits beside just the architecture-related ones.

Speaking of, could you delay recording on map10 for a while? There was a VPO discovered on it and we'll release the fixed version very soon (final This Time For Real). Map11 is stable, but map12 will also see a fix.

Version 1.1.2 has been uploaded to the archive and is good for recording everywhere, because bug reports will be ignored. We promise!

And of course, I lied and there was a critical bug found on map15's secret exit tangent. 1.1.34 is the updated final final final final version up for grabs on /idgames. Nothing else but map15 was changed, so desyncs outside of it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by dew

3 hours ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

I've been thinking of tackling some demos for this megawad soon. Should I grab the latest one from idgames, or the version from the DSDA (unless they're the same)?

They should be the same because it seems the problematic maps don't have runs now. You give me a lot of pressure, good luck beating the $h!t out of me. XD

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, GarrettChan said:

You give me a lot of pressure, good luck beating the $h!t out of me. XD

Haha don't worry @GarrettChan, I only intend to be a table filler for the maps that currently don't have demos. :)

My first BtSX demo!

Map 15 UV-Max in 11:43

b115-1143.zip

Sick barrel gambit at 3:37!

By the way, there was of course yet-another-update that fixed a huge screwup in a previous bugfix in map12. So 1.1.4 is the current final version and you need to use it for anything map12-related. I should get a btsx version tracker as my custom title...

Edited by dew

On 2017/9/29 at 10:47 PM, TheV1perK1ller said:

Haha don't worry

Actually I'm not worried because I am always looking forward to improve myself by watching others' runs, especially your runs being awesome all the time. Keep up the good job, bud :)

Just noticed: no one has done an Episode 2 demo. Is it because we're all waiting for the final release, or is it because no one likes it?