Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nxGangrel

Doom 2 Redux NOW ON IDGAMES!!!

Hello children!
DOOM 2 REDUX: The project where the levels are meant to resemble the vanilla Doom 2 maps, but modernized and with a heavy facelift. The maps are Boom compatible and uses the Gothicx texture pack, it also supports 4 player coop.

Screenshots

Spoiler

i5w0nP8.png

GLX2fGy.png

46Z5BHD.png

95QApvB.png

---Levels and their designers---
Tech Base Levels:
Map 01 - Trace of Spades
Map 02 - Trace of Spades
Map 03 - nxGangrel, Trace of Spades
Map 04 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 05 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 06 - ArchvileHunter

Hell Base Levels:
Map 07 - WildMajora, nxGangrel
Map 08 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 09 - Ninehills42
Map 10 - Muumi
Map 11 - Joe-ilya

City Levels:
Map 12 - SotaPoika
Map 13 - nxGangrel
Map 14 - nxGangrel
Map 15 - nxGangrel, 40oz
Map 16 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 17 - Scotty
Map 18 - Joe-ilya
Map 19 - SotaPoika
Map 20 - Tactical Stiffy

Hell Levels:
Map 21 - Joe-ilya
Map 22 - nxGangrel
Map 23 - Trace of Spades
Map 24 - Scotty
Map 25 - ArchvileHunter
Map 26 - ArchvileHunter, nxGangrel
Map 27 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 28 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 29 - nxGangrel
Map 30 - Trace of Spades, nxGangrel, Scotty

Secret Levels:
Map 31 - Tomato Ketchup
Map 32 - Supercupcaketactics

Levels 07, 09, 10, 12, 15, 30, and Intermission Screen Midis by Cortlong50/Mikeyarpeggio
>>>Download<<<

Edited by nxGangGirl

Why not just merge the textures used in the texture pack along with the maps (I'm assuming that's not the case)?
Looking forward to see what this has to offer though.

Bug Log:

Map 01: Cannot access secret area that gives you the rocket launcher, preventing you from getting 100 percent kills or secrets.

Map 02: Switch on porch in outdoor area doesn't activate. Not map breaking at all. Just annoying.

Map 05: In the yellow key area, there is a stimpack that is inaccessible due to two trees blocking it.

Voros said:

Why not just merge the textures used in the texture pack along with the maps (I'm assuming that's not the case)?
Looking forward to see what this has to offer though.

I did. But vanilla textures that are replaced won't be for some reason. (due to some glitch in the Texture file in the wad). So unless you want to play with some odd looking switches/textures here and there, I suggest using Gothicx till I fix the problem.

nxGangrel said:

I did. But vanilla textures that are replaced won't be for some reason. (due to some glitch in the Texture file in the wad). So unless you want to play with some odd looking switches/textures here and there, I suggest using Gothicx till I fix the problem.

The problem is that there is no Texture1 entry in the wad, only a Pnames.

Already finished! First! Hopefully I can remember most of my thoughts....

Doom 2 Redux Beta: The Cupcake Critique:

Spoiler

Map01: Good map, fun secrets and I liked the nightmare sequences.

Map02: A neato map, but I got stuck in the chaingun pickup room (surrounded in green lights) and had to noclip out of it. Also an interesting interpretation of the original Underhalls.

Map03: A nice map with some nice exploration. Reminded me of Momento Mori II and Alien Vendetta.

Map04: A small map with the simple pleasure of compact room clearing. Also liked the MIDI for this one.

Map05: I like the MIDI for this one too, but the design for this map is too basic and obviously linear. I always like waterfall secrets though.

Maps 06 through 09 seem to be a hefty drop in quality to me. Gets a little better with 10 before returning to some normalcy.

Map06: Has a few interesting ideas but is otherwise pretty messy, and suffers from overt monster spam. I ignored the Spider Mastermind the entire time.

Map07: What I feel is the worst map in the WAD, taking the chance for a concise challenge gauntlet and ending up with a completely flat field that feels like a chore to clear. This is also the point where the constant metalness of the MIDIs start to wear on me.

Map08: This map does indeed have traps, but none of them are particularly interesting save for the room with the yellow key which has a nice stand-your-ground fight helped by the BFG secret in front of the key, and also the spider mastermind room. This is more of a personal gripe but the "elevator drops down and monsters teleport in" isn't something I particularly enjoy but the problem was that the goodies in the crevices that reveal temporarily felt needed rather than something I could be lucky enough to grab at the right time.

Map09: This map is really, really bland. Suffers greatly from over-indulgence in filling the rooms with way too many monsters than its good for. Wanted it to end as soon as it started. Almost the worst, but map07 disappointed me more than this (I had higher expectations :/). The room with the lava, rockets, and chaingunners was cool though.

Map10: The best way to improve this map I think would be to compact the layout. I would like the map a lot more if it flowed better, and was more squeezed together with some more interconnection to make the action tighter and intensive. Music finally went more somber which helped pacing.

Map11: A pretty standard map, just a mundane problem I had is that I couldn't tell that the switch I pulled made a bridge for the red key so I ended up going in circles in the circle without looking in the middle for quite some time :p.

Map12: A great evolution of the factory map in that I can really feel that it's a factory, also has nice variety and an enticing aesthetic.

Map13: A nice city map whose basic look is actually quite pleasing, and is also pleasing to the eyes. The wide open middle space and brightness, combined with the contrasting dark blue sky helps with this a lot. Something that irked me from this map is that I got an invincibility sphere, but no fight occurred to put it to use like I expected. Using the invulnerability to repeatedly blast point-blank rockets into a pinky horde would be nice. Spent a while being lost here, but I suppose that's a natural thing that comes with city maps.

Map14: I don't have a lot to say on this map other than it could use some subtle color/layout variety to differentiate the areas in the map. Also thought the MIDI was from Strife at first lol :s

Map15: Okay this map was very unintuitive to me in that I spent a lot more time trying to figure out where to go next than I could discover a few secret areas. I even thought the map bugged when I hit a switch in the red key room thinking that it would lower the key, and didn't find it drop until wandering back into the room much later. Maybe I was being a dummy, but that was my experience. Also an armor in the starting room would be nice against all the hitscanners :u

Map31: Unique idea of the whole Wolfenstein shtick being a behind-the-scenes ultra prank by the demons from hell was neato. Nice MIDI that makes me wonder what song it is. Map is too cramped for my liking, also got lost again here and it makes me question if it was just because of my mild headache most of the day before taking a shower. My favorite part tbh was the use of the giant pipe details to conjure a little platforming maze.

Map32: Pretty neato if I do say so myself, somewhat masochistic but it all turned out okay. The last fight with the lifts and BFG'ing a horde of pain elementals was an idea from the old map09 attempt in a collab with Vizyeay. Shoulda finished that map darnit but we were both too perfectionist (and lazy). This map was made as an apology gift for that map never being completed. Also uses one of my absolute favorite Mark Klem MIDIs; could hum it all day.

This post is getting way too long for my OCD or w/e so will continue in the next one.

Doom 2 Redux Beta: The Cupcake Critique: Part Deux

Spoiler

Map16: Another standard map, a little too faithful to the original in aesthetic design but is pretty unoffensive and prides itself on its suburb battlefield fight.

Map17: Good rendition of Tenements, only things I'd like to say about it is some extra polish such as.... In the plasma gun room there's a shotgunguy in a dark alcove that seems like you have to take a hit first before knowing he's there. Stair architecture in the arch-vile fights in the final room are slanted at a disadvantage to the player as it makes it more trouble than necessary to launch rockets at him in his cage and run back up for cover.

Map18: I liked this map a lot more than I thought I would. It's straightforward and has a nice court of combat, just as the original. I just wish there more rockets and cells to use. This mapset as a whole is lacking in cell ammo imo, and could also use a few more rockets. I want to BFG more dudes.

Map19: Wow this map is huge. The music doesn't really fit with the map and makes it hard to keep a good relationship with when it's playing so long in a map that feels more like a hell level, despite being themed as the citadel (it's quite well-cared for). This map showcases what I think is an issue he has with his maps: I feel the maps suffer from him forcing more rooms to fit the "scale" of the idea he has for the map, ignoring if the journey will overstay its welcome when it doesn't feel like much progress is being made in it (also there's with that rockin' metal MIDI in the background the whole time :U). Nothing inherently wrong with big maps, but forced symmetry and "linear" progression in such a large map tend to lend towards creating what feels like a lot of filler content. Takes a while to navigate properly. I'd recommend changing the switches to look like they're "off" first before use or just having doors stay open instead of closing again. May just be my marathon fatigue, but still I have that problem in mapping a bit too, personally :s

Map20: A nice straightforward map that doesn't overstay its welcome. Short-ish and does all it needs to with a good fight near the end. Nice secrets again. I like TacticalStiffy's easy to find secrets (also the BFG availability).

Map21: Another standard, but more fun map that gets pretty straight to the point. I liked how the zone that surrounds you with imps is able to have its walls pulled down at any time. It allows you to ramp up the challenge and chaos freely if you so choose. A problem I felt though was a bit too many mancubi and arachnotrons on the platforms later in the map. Maybe reduce by a third or half, eh just could use a thinning of numbers is all.

Map22: I don't have much to say about this map except that I liked the little part where you hit a switch and another switch reveals itself. Like leading mice to cheese, and that's what makes good dungeon design :u

Map23: Not very aesthetically pleasing, but the barrel theatrics were fun to witness, and a nice trap or two. It's a pretty flat level but I don't mind it so much because of the barrel spectacle factor, particularly the last part.

Map24: I don't have much to say about this map also, but it was solid and a great reincarnation of the Chasm level.

Map25: This map is kinda too big for its own good. I do appreciate the divergence from the original bloodfalls though, as it's a very, very loose interpretation.

Map26: Not much to say here also, getting a little tired around this point (and my ankle aches atm) A pretty standard map, I liked the opening telefrag but not so much the bullets after :u

Map27: I'd say this map has too much in common with the original Monster Condo. It's practically a reorganizing of sector assets, and doesn't really have much of a form of its own.

Map28: Monster count is just a tad excessive, but again I like the secrets.

Map29: Has a proper feel as the second to last level. Just could use some more encounter variety in it's treacherous climb to the end.

Map30: Nice lava damage intro, and holy smokes that's a lot of plasma ammo. Just enough to fit that 600/600 capacity. Pretty neatly put together IoS map, and I also like all the signatures Trace puts in all his maps, adding that special charm to them.

Not sure how to conclude this so uh... pretty darn neato! What's next? For love and for peace my dudes.

EDIT: It works fine in a newer version. Second concern. The entirety of the Gothic texture pack is already in the WAD so why isn't that used instead of having to double load every resource?

map28: Really fun map to play very aggressively but has a few buggy things, ranging from minor to potentially gamebreaking.

1) The linedef that traps you into the room with the RL can easily be skipped by crossing it while the door is still opening. That means when you hit the S1 switch on the ledge, you'll get trapped in the room permanently when you cross the walkover linedef again. The lock-in here is kind of pointless, imo, considering that later fights are mostly tougher, so might as well get rid of that entire contraption. Also, I'd basically never use a once-only action to reopen something that the player closes with a walkover trigger (even a W1). Literally every time that is done, it's possible to break the map if there's no other way out. (A normal linedef skip could do it, too.)

2) It's possible (like, really easy) to grab the megasphere in the secret by just bumping against the marbface. I originally did that even though I missed the secret switch, lol.

3) There are a few places in the Spirit World cave area where pillars are really close to the wall, and it looks like maybe you can pass behind them but it's too narrow. In general that feels like sloppy design.

4) A couple of closet pinkies are stuck (ZDoom testing probably).

Here's a semi-casual/semi-serious UV-max speedrun in 8:15 that turned out pretty exciting. I didn't mean to grab the PI, so that part turned into a total mess :D

Anyway, I just randomly played this map because SuperCupcakeTactics said it had too many monsters :D. Idk, I like monster spam sometimes, it can make things really fun.

TraceOfSpades said:

Bug Log:

Map 01: Cannot access secret area that gives you the rocket launcher, preventing you from getting 100 percent kills or secrets.

Map 02: Switch on porch in outdoor area doesn't activate. Not map breaking at all. Just annoying.

Have to go to work now. Will continue later.

One time I went to a bank and they were literally just handing out these free things called "pens" and you can use them to write messages on paper and other surfaces. Its pretty awesome because you can carry the paper around in your pocket or leave it at your desk and the message is there permanently. Its great when you need to make notes and messages that are meant only for yourself. And they're free!

Edit: Retracted. This thread is about my wad, not about your problem with me, 40oz. Please take your sarcasm and mockery somewhere else.

Cupcake: As far as my next project, Gangrel and I were discussing the possibility of an Ultimate Doom Redux. If the reception of D2R is generally good, then that will be my next project.

Tarnsman said:

EDIT: It works fine in a newer version. Second concern. The entirety of the Gothic texture pack is already in the WAD so why isn't that used instead of having to double load every resource?

I said this already. The vanila textures that need to be replaced aren't due to either me fucking up or XWE fucking up. (yes, I use xwe). It'll be fixed soon, so shh.

40oz said:

One time I went to a bank and they were literally just handing out these free things called "pens" and you can use them to write messages on paper and other surfaces. Its pretty awesome because you can carry the paper around in your pocket or leave it at your desk and the message is there permanently. Its great when you need to make notes and messages that are meant only for yourself. And they're free!

God 40oz. You're like a drunk uncle... With multiple personality disorder. Christ.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Doom 2 Redux Beta: The Cupcake Critique: Part Deux

Spoiler

Map19: Wow this map is huge. The music doesn't really fit with the map and makes it hard to keep a good relationship with when it's playing so long in a map that feels more like a hell level, despite being themed as the citadel (it's quite well-cared for). This map showcases what I think is an issue he has with his maps: I feel the maps suffer from him forcing more rooms to fit the "scale" of the idea he has for the map, ignoring if the journey will overstay its welcome when it doesn't feel like much progress is being made in it (also there's with that rockin' metal MIDI in the background the whole time :U). Nothing inherently wrong with big maps, but forced symmetry and "linear" progression in such a large map tend to lend towards creating what feels like a lot of filler content. Takes a while to navigate properly. I'd recommend changing the switches to look like they're "off" first before use or just having doors stay open instead of closing again. May just be my marathon fatigue, but still I have that problem in mapping a bit too, personally :s

Thanks for the feedback, it's what I've been waiting for! :) Now I have at least few opinions about the level and I already have few ideas on how I might go about streamlining it a bit and making it less of a grind.

What switches are you talking about? Some of them are doors, which I kept as "lit", so player wouldn't mix them up with the wall-details. Then again, I have switches too using the same graphic. Have to think if there's something I could do about it.

I agree the music is not the best, perhaps it needs to be rethought (I didn't have any opinion of it before). I guess something bit less intense could fit better. I was usually in favor of more ambient tracks in original Doom.

Now that I think about it I was too harsh on map06 and 09 so uh, apologies. Guess I was pretty grumpy from that headache. Map06 needs to make that main platform with the big baddies and the spider mastermind on UV more threatening. It's pretty far off and is much more beneficial to ignore with a layout that's just a bit too big. Map09 is just kinda meh with nothing special going for it besides that little lava platforming area.

@Trace:secret exit is behind that door with the red lines between it. Pretty sure it opens once you catch all the step switches in secrets scattered around the map.

Spoiler

SotaPoika said:

I agree the music is not the best, perhaps it needs to be rethought (I didn't have any opinion of it before). I guess something bit less intense could fit better. I was usually in favor of more ambient tracks in original Doom.

I'll change the level music for map 19 to something ambient and smooth in the next update. The original music for this map fits with map 30 I think. I wasn't a big fan of map 30's music but it seemed to fit best.

@Trace:secret exit is behind that door with the red lines between it. Pretty sure it opens once you catch all the step switches in secrets scattered around the map.

There are about 10 secret floor panels that are needed to open the door(s). They're all scattered around the map, mostly in difficult to notice but easy to access locations.

The exit of refueling base needs to be changed long with the start od circle of death. That transition doesn't make any sense.

Also...for The Pit and Refueling Base...let's lose some of those pain elementals. I got very annoyed on my UV run when it felt like I was running into two or three of them every other room. So far though, the maps are playing nicely, look gorgeous, and are challenging.

Good work on Traps and Tricks, Gangrel Stiffy. Those secrets were awesome.

Scotty, Chasm looks phenomenal. I love the midi in this one...it sounds like a remix of the original.

TraceOfSpades said:

Good work on Traps and Tricks, Gangrel. Those secrets were awesome.

I didn't work on that map. Tactical Stiffy did.
I worked on the map before.

Yeah map08 is nice, I was too harsh on that one too (all the rooms are actually nice and unique from each other, not really sure what I was expecting before lol) and it also has a really nice MIDI.

Do you guys intend to keep the maps as they are with just minor changes or something more? Also idk if you all already know this but the waterfall textures aren't animating, at least for me anyway :U

Oh...I don't know why I thought T&T was yours, Gangrel. Good job, Stiffy!

Do you guys intend to keep the maps as they are with just minor changes or something more? Also idk if you all already know this but the waterfall textures aren't animating, at least for me anyway :U

It depends on the map. Example, between Refueling Base and Circle of Death, I want the exit of RB and entrance of COD changed completely for continuity's sake. Other small aesthetic/minor bug fixes will happen on probably most if not all maps.

Also...for the waterfalls, try taking off smooth textures if you're using that.

Gamebreaking bug: On map03, in the room where the red key is, I managed to get stuck, because I used the switch before picking up the chaingun, the door closed, and I couldnt use the switch again.

TraceOfSpades said:

Also...for The Pit and Refueling Base...let's lose some of those pain elementals. I got very annoyed on my UV run when it felt like I was running into two or three of them every other room. So far though, the maps are playing nicely, look gorgeous, and are challenging.

If you played The Pit in the original Doom2, you would find even more pain elementals there :)

Ninehills42 said:

If you played The Pit in the original Doom2, you would find even more pain elementals there :)

That's probably why I never cared for that level.

I recieved some negative feedback on my map, which is completely fine, and I cant disagree with them.
I've already started decorating some of the plain areas, and started to make a new area, because the map kinda felt way too short. Im also trying to reposition some of the monsters, so it doesnt feel as crouded as it was before.

^I'm doing the same with map 07. The beginning will remain the same, but the rest of the area will be changed. Sorry, Wildmajora.

Any who, next update will be coming soon.

Huh, feels like eternity ago when I did my map (refueling base). Good to hear some feedback but I'm not sure if I have time/motivation to do changes to my map. If anyone else can fix what needs fixing, feel free to do so.

Made it through MAP03. So far, so good! A couple of gripes, though:

- MAP01's "jump scares" feel kind of cheap. I do not know, spawning a group of enemies right in your face seems a bit excessive for a first level. Also, what are they supposed to be anyway? Doomguy hallucinating?

- The lack of an exit switch is rather annoying. Unless you are paying close attention to the automap, there is no way to tell where the level ends, e.g. MAP02.