Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nxGangrel

Doom 2 Redux NOW ON IDGAMES!!!

The hallucinating parts are supposed to be you seeing how Hell made to earth. The first jumpscare is in the lab looking room, and you can see that the scientists were testing teleportation in that room. This is why you accidentally end up in Hell and why imps come pouring out of the teleporter. I can lighten up the amount of monsters though. Thank you for the comments.

As far as no exit switch, that is by design. Every map is like that and will have to stay like that.

I am playing on Ultra-Violence and the monster ambushes themselves were not a problem - although I guess it helped I had a Mega Armour. I was just confused as to what was happening. Maybe you could add a teleport effect to make it more obvious that Doomguy has been teleported to Hell?

While we are still on the subject, who is the Marine in the staircase? Is it supposed to be Doomguy? And does they get squished after the door closes? If so, then the scene could definitely use a squishing sound.

As for the lack of exit switches, I am not asking you to start adding them to levels, just to make it clear where the level actually ends.

The other doomguys in the hell areas are supposed to symbolic. When you try to run toward them, you are stopped. The symbolism being that salvation is always just out of arms reach and you will be in Hell forever. It's the demons fucking with your mind. Like, imagine you look into a mirror and your reflection grins and winks at you. Same idea.

Also, using a teleport effect will muddy the transition, and possibly make it less apparent that it is the exact same room you were just in, only hellified.

I think that kind of stuff could be bit too much in such confined space with monsters you need to fight and no additional custom content to explain things a bit more.

idk, I liked that part. Besides it's not like anyone died to it did they? (If I have I don't remember so well) :S
Just put an extra medkit then I guess. Also I'd like to request a small edit on my map which is the backpack is able to be grabbed through the midtexture so a small edit should be made there probably, or not since it does not really matter that much :u

Well, I'm definitely not changing the hell/hallucination bit at all. But I can take away the spectre so all you have to deal with are a few imps.

Ninehills42 said:

Gamebreaking bug: On map03, in the room where the red key is, I managed to get stuck, because I used the switch before picking up the chaingun, the door closed, and I couldnt use the switch again.

Problem seems to be that four separate linedefs can shut the door, but only one S1 action reopens it.

rdwpa said:

Problem seems to be that four separate linedefs can shut the door, but only one S1 action reopens it.

I'll change the switch to SR. Thanks!

TraceOfSpades said:

Did you reduce the amount of pain elementals?

No I didnt.
I dont think pain elementals caused too much trouble.
There are all together 9 of them on the map, in packs of 2-2-2-3.
Its easy to deal with them, because you will have supershotgun and chaingun before the 1st pack comes out.

^Can you wait until I make the necessary changes to maps 1 and 2 before that is released?

nxGangrel said:

I'm re working on map 07, once I'm done with that, version 1.2 of the Beta will be released.

Maybe this info and updated versions of maps should appear in this project's development thread? Just so it's consistent.

TraceOfSpades said:

^Can you wait until I make the necessary changes to maps 1 and 2 before that is released?

Sure, no problem

SotaPoika said:

Maybe this info and updated versions of maps should appear in this project's development thread? Just so it's consistent.

My only current concern is updating the beta. Any release or comment regarding the beta will be in this thread. Where as, while I don't really want to use it, other things like individual map updates can be posted on the other thread.
I'm not releasing any of my maps individually (since changes are subtle anyway, with the exception of map 07 which is going to have an overhaul, but I'm not posting anything for it except its final release ready for playtesting). Updated maps can be released on the other thread so they can be play tested if need be (like map 07), until they can be put in another version the beta. Maps with small, minor, subtle, etc changes that don't need playtesting can be uploaded here, and would be put in the next version of the beta.
(Mind you, I'll only update the beta when enough changes are made to do so)

I can make the changes to my maps tomorrow. The girlfriend and I are out of town celebrating our two year anniversary, and I don't have my computer with me. If you want to make the changes to them, feel free.

Spoiler

Map01

Remove all spectres, and replace all pinkies with imps.
Make the silver door near the startpoint openable so people can access the RL secret.

Map03

Make the switch in the blackout room SR instead of S1.

If you don't mind waiting, I'll make the changes myself tomorrow.

I got to map 16 of the beta until I could no longer progress due to a door not opening, no matter how many times I use it or shoot/hit it.

This is on GZDoom 2.3.2. regardless of what compatibility settings I put it on (originally had it on Boom compatibility).

Aside from this roadblock I'm really enjoying this megaWAD. <3

Nems said:

I got to map 16 of the beta until I could no longer progress due to a door not opening, no matter how many times I use it or shoot/hit it.

I just looked at that door. It's tagged W1 instead of D1. There's also an impassable linedef/sector just past that door before the exit line that should be removed. Also2, There are some W1 linedefs in the room past the exit line that were copied from MAP17. Obviously you can never get to them, but just to be clean.

Actually, I've managed to get into the old forums some how, so I have the updates maps 1,2, and 3.

I don't have that credits screen though.

I'll get you the credits screen.  Here is the credits screen.

creditscreen.jpg

Edited by TraceOfSpades

Finished Downtown on Ultra Violence. 

What I liked:

I loved the aesthetics.  This was beautifully done.  Plenty of room and tight spaces in between to keep me on my toes.  The secrets were brilliantly placed, and I absolutely loved the little nod to the original map.  THAT was cool!  Admittedly, I would not have found most of the secrets without the aid of the computer map.  I still didn't find all of them.  I found 9/13.  This map was very challenging, and I loved that.  

What I didn't like:

There seemed to be a lot of surprise attacks from groups of revenants/hellknights in tight quarters.  While I like this every now and again, when it happens so often, it becomes cheapened.  I also was not a fan of the exit.  The rules of this project talked about switch exits specifically.  So your exit and the entrance of the next map will need to be changed to W1 Exits and your sectors must match.  

All things considered, great map.  But for it to be acceptable for the official release, your exit will need to be changed.

^Wait what? I can change it some how I guess if I have to.

The idea was because I made map 14 first, and the start of the map was the center of it, I made the exit of map 13 the "bottom" of map 14. Hence why there is a latter below a grate. In map 14 you start on top of the grate. But I put a switch next to the ladder like in e3m3 of Blood, so the player know they're exiting the level. Maybe the exit should be walking into the ladder instead of pressing a button next to it makes more sense.

Schweet.  Sucks though, because I like how the ladder looks.  Very creative midtexture usage.