Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Der_Kaiser

NOSTROMO, my very first map (Yay!....)

So, it began like this…

Back in 1994 I was an innocent boy playing Super Mario World when one day my older brother brought home a pirate 3 ½ floppy disk which a friend had given him in school. There were only four letters hand-written on the front: D-O-O-M.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Seriously, I could literally not believe a game like that could exist. Used to playing NES and SNES, my goriest video game reference was Mortal Kombat (which initially had its blood content censored by Nintendo)… and then there was DOOM. Blood? Gore? Satanic imagery? FREAKING AMAZING GRAPHICS? What kind of time traveler brought this back with him? (Soon after, my brother gave me a copy of Wolfenstein 3D, which was incredibly fun to play, but wasn't as impressive as Doom, of course).

Long story short, I loved Doom right off the bat. Then the years went by and I got away from PC gaming completely. I'm a huge video game fan, and I'm a pretty big NES and Atari 2600 collector, but it wasn't until two years ago that I found my way back to DOOM. It was great, loved it. Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT... levels I had never played before. Then I learned people were making their own levels, maps, mods... and they had been doing it since the 90s! Really? Am I that late to the party?

So not long ago I decided that I would make my first Doom map. It has been a long and painful process; I don't really have a lot of programming or computer skills, just my love for Doom and the willingness to learn.

So here it is! It's only one map, pretty short and maybe somewhat hard. It has a "sexy Alien" theme, which I know is weird, but the whole project was supposed to be an inside joke between me and my brother until I decided to post it here. I even included a quote from the late, great Bill Paxton!

It's called NOSTROMO (the name of the ship in the film Alien), made for DOOM 2 and so far tested in ZDoom and Zandronum. No special difficulty settings.

I realize the community has some pretty high standards over here, and admittedly I think I bit off more than I could chew here. That's one of the reasons the file is a freaking disaster. No other way to describe it, it's a mess, so I apologise for that. The wad works though, which is more than I could hope when I started this project.
Be kind of be harsh, I don't care, but please be constructive!

NOSTROMO

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5F8LhIYAH6UeUNxQmFSa1h4TXc

P.S. Excuse my English!

Illegal/10.

You modified doom2.wad instead of making a separate pwad. As-is, releasing a modified iwad with nearly all the original data is illegal (though I doubt anyone is going to be knocking on your door). Think: Piracy. The filesize is 32mb and would be closer to 1 or 2, tops as a pwad.

A lot of the size comes from ripped textures from AVP2, which you have hundreds, and most aren't used at all in the level.

As for the level: It was pretty okay for a first wad. Fair enough and fun enough. And I don't even mind the 1990's style of having pin-ups and photos on the walls (I kinda miss that level of devil-may-care mapping that was popular in the 90's actually)... So yeah. Keep that up. Just do it a little more cleanly/legally.

Revae said:

Illegal/10.

You modified doom2.wad instead of making a separate pwad. As-is, releasing a modified iwad with nearly all the original data is illegal (though I doubt anyone is going to be knocking on your door). Think: Piracy. The filesize is 32mb and would be closer to 1 or 2, tops as a pwad.

Well, f*ck. That was just stupid. I guess mods can take this thread down if that's a problem. Oh, well...

Revae said:

As for the level: It was pretty okay for a first wad. Fair enough and fun enough. And I don't even mind the 1990's style of having pin-ups and photos on the walls (I kinda miss that level of devil-may-care mapping that was popular in the 90's actually)... So yeah. Keep that up. Just do it a little more cleanly/legally.

Yeah it's dumb and corny, but I'm glad you liked it. Thanks a lot for the feedback!