Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redxone

Doom wads that are actually fun to play.

Chex Quest 3 would be my main recommendation. It's the first Doom I've played in about a year and it was 15 levels of joy, with only the last couple trying to kill me. Reminded me why I like the game, to be honest!

If you want to shake things up and haven't tried it yet, Heretic is a pretty fun variation on the Doom style. The lack of hitscanners means there's a lot fewer cheap deaths involved. It's actually pretty easy but you get a completely different way to play with powerups being inventory items instead of instant use. The boss monsters are all top notch too, featuring several different modes of attack instead of being one trick ponies. And if it's too easy for you, Templum Dormiens Dei is a more challenging single but expansive map that's fun to pass a half hour with. It even has some custom monsters and its own boss fight. Also has one of the most intense Maulotaur fights I've ever been in.

I'd recommend Winter's Fury. (it requires GZDoom)

link here:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62496-winters-fury/

@Bryan T You act as if that were a bad thing. He is reading this thread for the first time and replying at his earliest opportunity, and his post is actually on-topic, unlike yours (and mine).

Hm... dunno if this meets your requirements for sure, but I'd recommend Stardate 20x6 and Unholy Realms, found both of them fun and of medium difficulty.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:32 AM, spiritmaze said:

I recommend playing Sunlust on 'I'm too young to die' difficulty setting for a light and enjoyable gaming experience, while still being moderately challenging towards the end of the wad.

Also this.

This thread in general has actually pointed out more things I can add to my list to check out, so this has been one of the most helpful necro's I've seen in a while.

Also, this image from earlier in the thread really makes laugh. I'm totally at Normal Pleb, verging on Outsider level myself, as the maps here are definately those I enjoy the most. (I happily consider Going Down to be moderately, but enjoyably difficult, and Valiant on HNTR is doable, but AA is too hard for me) XD
C1WfTWRUQAACSdE.jpg:large

As for actual recommendations of enjoyable easier-moderately hard levels not yet mentioned, I would add:

Whispers of Satan
Chainworm Commando

Legacy of Heroes