Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Edward850

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Xbox One, Switch, PS4) (Crossplay)

It's a Kex3 ported game by Kaiser. What more could you ask for?

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/405830/

GOG: https://www.gog.com/forum/turok_2_seeds_of_evil

Xbox One: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/Turok-2-Seeds-of-Evil/BQ6ZXPCGHGC0

Nintendo Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/turok-2-seeds-of-evil-switch/

PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0913-CUSA25215_00-1190194351528830

Update: You can now get Turok1 and Turok2 in a bundle together, 25% off, if you haven't grabbed them before:

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3736/Turok_Bundle/

New Multiplayer
The new Multiplayer mode lets you battle with your friends. Using the best levels, weapons, and visuals from both the PC and Nintendo 64 versions, players will encounter a fun and visceral multiplayer experience.
Players can also choose between a few skins for their character in combat. Network multiplayer is available through Steam, GOG Galaxy, LAN and direct IP with cross play capabilities.
Split-screen mode is also available in network multiplayer. Lastly, a new multiplayer game mode called “Last Turok Standing” has been added.

New Game Engine
Ported to the Kex Engine 3.4.
Full 64-bit compatibility.
Brand new UI system.

New Graphics System
Modernized deferred renderer.
Shadow maps and compiled light maps.
Screen-space reflections on textures and materials.
Dynamic and fixed-resolution sub/super-sampling.
New decals and effects.

Enhanced Gameplay
Improved character speed and maneuverability, including the ability to grapple ledges.
Updated maps.
Improved AI.
"Quick warp" feature allows instant travel to any previously visited portal.
Save and load anywhere.

Edit:

[09:18:34] <QuasAtWork> <3
[09:19:16] <QuasAtWork> you forgot "With netplay by yours truly and some code poops thrown in by Quasar" ;)

Edited by Edward850

I enjoy seeing Night Dive more and more. That logo of theirs is recognizable too. I'm less excited about Turok 2 (because I've never played it) and more excited for Night Dive.

Enhanced Gameplay
Improved character speed and maneuverability

Oh thank fuck, you moved so fast and had so much mobility in Turok 1 that it's unbelievable how slow you were in Turok 2. It reminds me of how you moved in the first Unreal versus the second, with enemies that are still highly aggressive but now you can't dodge anything. Much thanks to Night Dive & Co. for improving the game where its needed most!

I also look forward to a more streamlined Lair of the Blind Ones, because of that level I've sadly never finished this game. Navigating Hive of the Mantids was bad enough.

"Recommended: OS: Windows 10 (64-bit required)"

What the fuck? I'm not sure what difference it makes to run it with either Windows 7 (minimum system requirements) or Windows 10 64 bit... In fact, the system requirements of this game in general are quite ridiculous in my opinion. Why does this even require to be run in 64 bit? I mean, yeah they polished the graphics a little bit, but Half-Life 2 looks better than this and that game runs on every PC imaginable.

Agentbromsnor said:

"Recommended: OS: Windows 10 (64-bit required)"

What the fuck? I'm not sure what difference it makes to run it with either Windows 7 (minimum system requirements) or Windows 10 64 bit... In fact, the system requirements of this game in general are quite ridiculous in my opinion. Why does this even require to be run in 64 bit? I mean, yeah they polished the graphics a little bit, but Half-Life 2 looks better than this and that game runs on every PC imaginable.

It's not a performance requirement, but a opcode one. The PC these days is the only modern platform that has a 32bit compatibility layer, everything else is 64bit exclusive. No matter how you twist it, the engine absolutely has to be 64bit without becoming a portability nightmare.

J.B.R said:

Pretty good, it's great to see these n64 games being ported to PC.

Technically, Turok 2 already was a PC game ;)
Lots of good improvements; looking forward to it. Hoping for coop!

wheresthebeef said:

Technically, Turok 2 already was a PC game ;)

Except it held no water next to other heavy hitters on PC at the time as it was largely known as a N64 shooter. A lot of people didn't know Turok 1 and 2 even had a PC version, but I used to own both and I never had an N64.

Also gotta note if it weren't for this revival of Turok 2 it would be 100% dead on modern OS because I couldn't get Turok 2 to play nice whatsoever and it was giving me very bizarre problems (it was some hard-coded copy protection that triggered itself on 64-bit architecture from a very early version of SecuROM or some insane shit like that buried deep within the executable) when trying to launch the single player, but multiplayer didn't have this issue. I tried cracking the executable, mounting a virtual image, it flat out refused to launch even after using a fan patch to kill some nasty bugs that triggered on win 7 and up (enemies turning invisible AND invincible and the game crashing every few minutes).

Meanwhile last I checked Turok 1 hilariously still launches even on modern OS but it needs nglide or something to get it to fullscreen properly. Not that I'd understand why you'd want to launch that version of the game nowadays anyway. Night Dive really quelled a lot of headaches.

Cyanosis said:

Except it held no water next to other heavy hitters on PC at the time as it was largely known as a N64 shooter. A lot of people didn't know Turok 1 and 2 even had a PC version, but I used to own both and I never had an N64.

Also gotta note if it weren't for this revival of Turok 2 it would be 100% dead on modern OS because I couldn't get Turok 2 to play nice whatsoever and it was giving me very bizarre problems (it was some hard-coded copy protection that triggered itself on 64-bit architecture from a very early version of SecuROM or some insane shit like that buried deep within the executable) when trying to launch the single player, but multiplayer didn't have this issue. I tried cracking the executable, mounting a virtual image, it flat out refused to launch even after using a fan patch to kill some nasty bugs that triggered on win 7 and up (enemies turning invisible AND invincible and the game crashing every few minutes).

Meanwhile last I checked Turok 1 hilariously still launches even on modern OS but it needs nglide or something to get it to fullscreen properly. Not that I'd understand why you'd want to launch that version of the game nowadays anyway. Night Dive really quelled a lot of headaches.

So in other words, it still already was a PC game

Edward850 said:

The original PC version was an incomplete port.

I would like to know why you believe this?

I do know that console ports had limited options back in the day such as less resolution selections for one thing.

I would love to see a 'Shadow of Oblivion' port some day. It'll always be my favorite from the original trilogy.

dethtoll said:

Turok 2 is probably the best FPS on the N64 besides Doom 64. I can't wait.

I'm going to be Mr Obvious here and say bollocks, that was clearly Goldeneye.

KevinHEZ said:

I would love to see a 'Shadow of Oblivion' port some day. It'll always be my favorite from the original trilogy.

Turok 3 is strange, since I never owned an N64 I never played it but I got around to watching an LP of it 3 years ago and I can't say I particularly cared for how it was handled. Gone are the large worlds in favor of overly streamlined and linear level design of a traditional late 90's / early 00's FPS, which one may differ on and say is a good thing if they disliked the first two games' level design. But my other pet peeves include the strange reduction in gore, less enemy types (especially per level, there's usually no more than two maybe three enemies max) and generally less interesting weapons compared to Turok 1 and 2.

But I'll say this, it looked better than Turok Evolution, now that game was trash.

Jon said:

I'm going to be Mr Obvious here and say bollocks, that was clearly Goldeneye.

I see your Goldeneye and raise you Perfect Dark. But seriously though while Perfect Dark is a spiritual successor to Goldeneye it improves upon the gameplay mechanics a great deal along with adding a whole lot of extra features and expanded multiplayer with bots.

Yeah Turok 2 is a solid shooter but there were several shooters better on N64 alone, Doom 64 / Goldeneye / Perfect Dark and in my opinion even the first Turok is better.
That said im still looking forward to this steam release.

I tried replaying Turok 2 a year or so ago, and I remembered why I never finished it. With the expansion pack it was unplayable on hi-def, the frame-rate has to be around 10FPS with any sort of action, making aiming impossible. On low-def with the expansion pack it seems to hit 24FPS occasionally, but dips to sub 20 if anything happens, which it usually does.

It looked great for an N64 game, I'll give it that, but it was virtually unplayable. It had quite a few neat weapons, but it doesn't really matter if you can't hit anything with them because the frame rate is so jerky. So yeah, I'm looking forward to this remake, if it's anything like what they did with Turok it should be great.

I agree, back on the day I couldn't stand that horrid control scheme made even worse by the total steaming pile of shit that is the n64 controller.

Goldeneye has a pretty damn good campaign. The controller works pretty easily in Solitaire mode, like a drunk 360 controller or something. The multiplayer is dogshit though.

Back on topic, this is really damn cool!

Yeah, Goldeneye's multiplayer was pretty bad, Perfect Dark improved upon it greatly.

dethtoll said:

Goldeneye is an overrated pile of doodoo.

Could you name another console FPS with multiplayer from 1997 that was better? I had some fun with Duke Nukem 64, but it wasn't better than GoldenEye. The only console FPS that I can recall that was short of being complete shit was Medal of Honor on the PS1, and that really was shit. The textures danced more than Richard Simmons, and there was no multiplayer. Turok 1 had no multiplayer, Turok 2 had multiplayer, but the framerate dipped into the single digits with two players, playing with four was like jumping into concrete.

GoldenEye's multiplayer worked well, very well. It had a consistent framerate, there were numerous ways to play it, many characters to choose from. I still remember this phrase fondly "Power weapons in the Archives". If you can name a better FPS multiplayer console game from 1997 I would like to hear it; the ability to grab my N64 and four controllers, throw them in a backpack, and take the to a friends house and spend hours shooting each other in a game was unprecedented.

When Perfect Dark came out, the framerate lag was enough to kill the game. The options were better yes, but if you had four people playing at the same time the lag would drop the game to under 20 fps. It wasn't fun to play, unlike GoldenEye.