Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ranhcase

The Temple of Marble

Recommended Posts

I made a new level.

Here's the link

It's Boom-compatible
I accept any feedback, the skill levels aren't implemented yet, mainly because i would like to know if the state it is now (wich is supposed to be the Hard skill) is hard enough.

Thanks.

Pictures

Share this post


Link to post

Feedback:

I like the aesthetics.

The starting room is obnoxious. It would be somewhat less so if the two normal zombies were facing away from the player, presenting a "warm" start instead of a "hot" start.

The hanging body above the chasm should probably be removed if you're going to claim Boom compatibility, because Boom retains the Doom behaviour of making the hanging corpses be infinitely tall barriers.

The map is way too stingy with non-secret health given the number of hitscanners it has, unless your design intent is that the player should memorize every encounter then execute it near-perfectly and save.

The armour bonuses seem essentially pointless, since there's... what, about ten of them total across the whole level?

Share this post


Link to post
grommile said:

Feedback:

I like the aesthetics.

The starting room is obnoxious. It would be somewhat less so if the two normal zombies were facing away from the player, presenting a "warm" start instead of a "hot" start.

The hanging body above the chasm should probably be removed if you're going to claim Boom compatibility, because Boom retains the Doom behaviour of making the hanging corpses be infinitely tall barriers.

The map is way too stingy with non-secret health given the number of hitscanners it has, unless your design intent is that the player should memorize every encounter then execute it near-perfectly and save.

The armour bonuses seem essentially pointless, since there's... what, about ten of them total across the whole level?


Thanks for the feedback. going to make the changes.

EDIT:Actually sorry, but what exactly do you mean by chasm, english is not my first language, and i don't really get it...

Share this post


Link to post
RanhDoomer said:

Thanks for the feedback. going to make the changes.

EDIT:Actually sorry, but what exactly do you mean by chasm, english is not my first language, and i don't really get it...

I'm talking about the room your third screenshot is from - by chasm I mean the gap in the floor between the entrance and the area where the HK is standing. You've got a hanging corpse near one end of that gap; the player can't pass directly under a hanging corpse even when it looks like they should be able to, because of the "infinite height things" issue.

Share this post


Link to post
grommile said:

I'm talking about the room your third screenshot is from - by chasm I mean the gap in the floor between the entrance and the area where the HK is standing. You've got a hanging corpse near one end of that gap; the player can't pass directly under a hanging corpse even when it looks like they should be able to, because of the "infinite height things" issue.

Okay, thanks

Share this post


Link to post

This is very easy. It would be comfortably completable with no health (I take around 40% total damage in my FDA), but the current amount is fine of course. The most interesting parts of the gameplay are the start, where you have to kill shotgunners efficiently to avoid too much damage, and all of the indirect reveals, which can take you by surprise. The last trap before the exit was reasonably surprising (good spot for it), but it would be better with more monsters, and maybe additional closets opening up in the room with the red key door.

Nearly all of the direct placements are non-threatening, because they can be easily door camped. I'd suggest slightly reducing the number of such monsters, and using a couple more traps and designed encounters. One problem is that the layout is very room->door->room, which hamstrings the types of encounters you can have -- there are no real opportunities for direct placements to shine through crossfire, area denial, wandering unpredictably, etc., to name some of the things that are possible with a more sophisticated layout. You also aren't flagging the monster closets with the "secret" or "shown as one-sided on the automap" (depending on your editor) flag, so it's entirely possible to predict the location of things like key traps.

Aesthetically it's decent, seems like a polished small map from the Alien Vendetta era. I'm not sure if the HOM in the secret I found is intentional or not, or port-related. Looks cool though. :D The door that opens for the last trap needs to have its sides unpegged properly. One or two rooms were also a bit bland compared to others. Good use of lighting overall, which I think is the map's strongest quality.

FDA recorded in glBoom+ (I just made it a video because it's short and it seems like you are using GZDoom):

Spoiler

Share this post


Link to post
rdwpa said:

I'm not sure if the HOM in the secret I found is intentional or not, or port-related. Looks cool though. :D

I think it's a port thing. GZDoom can render missing walls as sky, but ZDoom and others require the ceiling to be lowered with the sky flat on the lowered part to wherever you want the sky to be.

A simple fix is to just draw a 1 unit wide ^ shape at the edge, then lower that down all the way to the floor. You'll keep the hard edge and it will work properly in all ports.

Share this post


Link to post

neat. Though teleporter only worked once and I got stuck when I went looking for health.

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished it. It was pretty decent but lacked a lot of stuff to make it memorable. Aesthetically it looked nice, good detailing and use of shading. Gameplay-wise it was pretty repetitive. Almost every room felt the same; an L shaped hallway with a large door at the end which led to another L shaped hallway with a door at the end. Also I felt like it ended with a bit of a whimper, the exit room was only occupied by a single chaingunner. There wasn't really a big bad encounter to end with.

I'd definitely recommend getting a little more creative/abstract with the layout. Use more high variation, use a combination of small rooms and big room as well as outdoor areas. Also try to be a little more surprising with your monster placement, have them teleport behind or around the player. When the player has monsters coming at em from more directions than their front things start to get more challenging and interesting. For the most part all the fights in this map consisted of mowing down zombies and imps through a doorway where they posed little to no threat to the player.

Share this post


Link to post

A couple issues - one of the secrets has two sectors marked as secret. Also, the map seems to break if you try to go through it a second time because the teleporter only works once.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a really nice looking map, good job! I did not finish it unfortunately, primarily because I died a lot, which on its own isn't a problem but when you have to replay a frantic intro room like you have here it gets rather annoying. That first encounter should really be initiated by the player instead of starting the second the map begins.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all the feedback.

Anyways:

New new version.

The teleport was fixed, now it can teleport multiple times :D

The HOM doesn't show up to me, and i also use glboom+, i also couldn't understand Nevander's fix, sorry.

Some monsters closets were added, but the quantity of health hasn't changed, i think the difficulty is good now.

Share this post


Link to post

Just a quick suggestion, you should put the latest version's download link on your first post.

Share this post


Link to post
RanhDoomer said:

The HOM doesn't show up to me, and i also use glboom+, i also couldn't understand Nevander's fix, sorry.


The only time the sky will correctly appear on a wall in all ports is on the upper texture of a sector that a) has its ceiling set as a sky and b) is adjacent to another sector that also has its sector as a sky.

So basically just create two adjacent sectors, set both to sky, and then lower the ceiling of one down to the floor. The resulting upper texture you see will be rendered as sky.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×