Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The Focus is the Best Doom II Map

neubejiita said:

They did not even bother to texture all of the sidedefs in Nirvana. That map sucks.

The room with the arrow-shaped staircase has some weird effects on the ceiling. This is due to linedefs 114 and 134 referring to sector 50 instead of sector 49, and sector 49 having no defined ceiling texture.

joe-ilya said:

Linguica should make a contest about the best MIDI in the classic Doom series, even TNT.

It would be a somewhat boring contest since D_RUNNIN obviously wins, but I guess it would be interesting to see how the runners-up rank.

Fredrik said:

It would be a somewhat boring contest since D_RUNNIN obviously wins, but I guess it would be interesting to see how the runners-up rank.

I guess they wouldn't be...RUNNIN up too well.
Kill me.

Gez said:

Good Doom II songs: MAP07, MAP09, MAP10, MAP18, MAP20, MAP30, text screens.

MetroidJunkie said:

How about Message For The Archvile?

MAP20.

killer2 said:

By the way, since we're talking about great tracks, I'm very surprised no one has mentioned The Demon's Dead yet.

MAP10.

Yeah I was lazy. Let's do it again:

Good Doom II songs: "Shawn's got the Shotgun", "Into Sandy's City", "The Demon's Dead", "Waiting for Romero to Play", "Message for the Archvile", "Opening to Hell", "Read Me".

I think I could add MAP05 "DOOM" and MAP25 "Adrian's Asleep" to that list. But not MAP01, sorry. "Running From Evil" is too associated with "go to jukebox map" for me to think of as a good song. I mean it's okay when just randomly listening to video game music while doing other things; but I can't bear to hear it in-game.

Oh, true, and I knew it was map10. I guess I just flew through your post without paying much attention.
As for map01, I'm pretty sure Fredrik was being facetious, and Demon from the Well called it maligned and grating. Pretty sure most people aren't really fans of the song, and to be honest it's one of the reasons I don't particularly care much for map15 (the other being the excessive use of damaging floors, the one and only feature I absolutely hate from Doom and wouldn't mind never seeing again).

I'm super serious. It has sick drums and bass, a sicker organ, and the sickest guitar solo. It gets you pumped but goes beyond that and evokes a unique, nuanced atmosphere. It's the perfect track for thousands of hours of cumulative play testing while mapping. In fact, it's so inspiring that I always wasted time running around after testing whatever I was supposed to test (usually until the end of the solo). Besides, together with the melancholic D2E1 sky (which is not unlike a painting by one of the great masters), it makes me nostalgic for playing 90s shovelware levels.

The problem with Running from Evil is that one off level designers tend to not give them unique music so, 9 times out of 10, you're going to be hearing that music a LOT if you want to play custom Doom 2 levels. Really wears on the nerves after a while. It's not the track's fault, any of them would sound grating after a while, even Doom's Gate.

MetroidJunkie said:

even Doom's Gate.

As someone who makes only mostly UDoom levels, I can assure you that you're right. I can't listen to it anymore, IDMUS33, IDMUS19, IDMUS32, IDMUS IDMUS IDMUS IDMUS! I use idmus more frequenly than even idspispopd, when mapping.

About MAP04: I like the level, but hate the music. Yeah, you guessed it, IDMUS IDMUS IDMUS.