Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThePetitDwarf

4:3 or 16:9? With or without the status bar?

My old computer used to stretch everything, which I alleviated somewhat running through my TV via a HDMI, then using the TV's aspect ratio to force 4:3. Current computer pillarboxes such resolutions automatically though.

I imagine different hardware/drivers have different capabilities in this regard. For example, I can't force my laptop's native display to not stretch anything that's not 16:9, but my external monitor can be persuaded via its own menu (pressing buttons on the monitor itself).

16:9 with a custom, slightly shrunk status bar. It's too big otherwise!

I always play at my native 16:10 1920x1200 resolution. If the port supports using all of that space without stretching, I play it that way, otherwise I pillarbox the screen with black borders, so there's no stretching.

Piper Maru said:

The only way to play IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/km77weF.png

Buy a 486 ;)

rehelekretep said:

how does everyone play with 4:3 ratio?
ive tried setting up the nvidia control panel but it just seems to stretch everything, never gives me just black bars down the sides...

Play with the options in your Doom port itself. ZDoom allows all sorts of aspect ratio options.

StalkerZHS said:

Doom was meant for 16:10 on a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Everything in-game was made for 320x200 stretched to 320x240

So I do either 800x500 or 960x600 all on a 4:3 ratio, all the old screenshots in the 90's articles had it that way too

You might not have quite thought this through enough. I get what you're trying to do, but if you want to pick a good resolution, pick one that's an integer multiple of the original 320x200 so that the on-screen graphics (status bar, title screens, menu, etc.) can be exactly scaled up. 960x600 is an example of a good choice (it's 3x 320x200) but 800x500 isn't (it's 2.5x 320x200).

StalkerZHS said:

I just wish GZdoom would let you make it look more blocky like chocolate doom

It looks like my work here is done.

When it comes to aspect ratio, either or, but give me that classic HUD! Tells me everything I need to know instantly :)

I either play at 4:3 (640x480), or if I want to change it, I may use 16:9 (1600x900). I started playing with 4:3, because I wasn't used to having source ports in a game and I can say 640x480 isn't bad in Doom at all, while in newer titles I can't drop below 1080x720.

I always play fullscreen with my status bar on. The face of Doomguy is a must when playing Doom (in my opinion). Also, it is very easy for me to gain the needed information from the status bar, on the fly, so that I switch to the weapon which has more ammo (chaingun or shotguns most of the time).

800x600 windowed, no status bar (I use one of the alternate HUD set-ups that PRBoom+ offers).

Spoiler

This one, to be specific.

1920x1080 Zdoom with a custom status bar and my own weapon mod that changes nothing to the gameplay other than graphics.

SFoZ911 said:

1920x1080 Zdoom with a custom status bar and my own weapon mod that changes nothing to the gameplay other than graphics.

Share it, pls~

rehelekretep said:

how does everyone play with 4:3 ratio?
ive tried setting up the nvidia control panel but it just seems to stretch everything, never gives me just black bars down the sides...

Maybe your monitor has some built in "resizer".

About the game 4:3, i just got an Old crt that's still working, so i can play old games the way i did back then.

I usually play 3:4 with status bar. As someone else said, the game is quite different without it!

However when I'm playing deathmatch online or any pwad with cool new weapons, I usually get rid of the hud.

Wild Dog said:

Maybe your monitor has some built in "resizer".

About the game 4:3, i just got an Old crt that's still working, so i can play old games the way i did back then.

i fixed it. i set resizing to occur on the GPU, not on the display :)
thanks!

Don't really know what "4.3" or "16.9" mean, but I play with status bar, low resolution in Crispy Doom which equals high resolution in vainilla. Fullscreen, I don't know what else to say... 

These days, I doom on sourceports.

I currently use Gz Doom and play on a 24-inch, 16:9, 1080p monitor.

I use the best of both worlds...meaning, I like to see as much screen real estate as possible, yet still like to know what my health is like and ammo for current weapon, so I use the shrunk down versions of the status bar (no Doom Guy face though), as seen below:

DoomScreenshot.jpg.6361b2226291718595c63951acab740a.jpg

25 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Don't really know what "4.3" or "16.9" mean, but I play with status bar, low resolution in Crispy Doom which equals high resolution in vainilla. Fullscreen, I don't know what else to say... 

Simple, it just means the type of display... 4:3 are the original "TV type" square shape displays, while 16:9 refers to "Wide screen" or "theatre type" rectangular displays.

Have a look at the pic below for a comparison.

If you play or watch something that is in 4:3 format on a 16:9 display, then you get "black bars" on the side because the 4:3 format doesn't use all the extra space 16:9 offers....unless of course, you "stretch" the 4:3 image, in which case you CAN use all the screen space, however, it usually distorts the image to make it fit.

Conversely, if you play something meant for 16:9 on a square 4:3 display, you get the image scrunched a bit top to bottom usually, with bars on the tops and bottoms.

Bottom line, if you play on a square display, you likely are playing in 4:3...a rectangular one, 16:9.

58d75162c4c3c_AspectRatioCompare.jpg.5d8d28e3bc23185c0c8410b22c78ca97.jpg

34 minutes ago, FreightMan07 said:

Simple, it just means the type of display... 4:3 are the original "TV type" square shape displays, while 16:9 refers to "Wide screen" or "theatre type" rectangular displays.

Have a look at the pic below for a comparison.

If you play or watch something that is in 4:3 format on a 16:9 display, then you get "black bars" on the side because the 4:3 format doesn't use all the extra space 16:9 offers....unless of course, you "stretch" the 4:3 image, in which case you CAN use all the screen space, however, it usually distorts the image to make it fit.

Conversely, if you play something meant for 16:9 on a square 4:3 display, you get the image scrunched a bit top to bottom usually, with bars on the tops and bottoms.

Bottom line, if you play on a square display, you likely are playing in 4:3...a rectangular one, 16:9.

58d75162c4c3c_AspectRatioCompare.jpg.5d8d28e3bc23185c0c8410b22c78ca97.jpg

Oh yeah sorry I know they are types of display, what I didn't was the difference, but now I know thanks to you.

So I play with 16.9 display!

3 hours ago, FreightMan07 said:

I use the best of both worlds...meaning, I like to see as much screen real estate as possible, yet still like to know what my health is like and ammo for current weapon, so I use the shrunk down versions of the status bar (no Doom Guy face though), as seen below:

DONT QUOTE IMAGES DUMBASS

And you can actually see your health and ammo on that resolution, without squinting or moving your face closer to the screen?

For my HDTV (24 inches): 640x480 (4:3, fullscreen, not forced aspect ratio) with classic status bar without recolourized digits or percent sign.

For the Macbook Pro I sometimes borrow from my brother: 1280x800 (16:10, fullscreen, not forced aspect ratio) with classic status bar without recolourized digits or percent sign.

9 hours ago, Voros said:

And you can actually see your health and ammo on that resolution, without squinting or moving your face closer to the screen?

Sure.

The picture shown is a low quality pic, so yea, it LOOKS like it would be hard to read, but on my actual display, the numbers are clear as day, even if small....and I don't have real good eyesight anymore too.

On 02/03/2017 at 9:02 AM, scifista42 said:

4:3 with status bar.

Same.

1) 16:9 (pity that Doom Legacy does not have this and do only stretching, that is first source port which I used)

2) With unstretched classic status bar. Yes, I see that green rock texture on the bottom sides and I like it.