Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I just created my first WAD, i hope to get some feedback ;), which i can use for editing current and new wads.

Tested with: Zdoom
Number of maps: 6
WAD: doom2

Download 1.01 [6-3-17]:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3hjb43jcbhhbgmi/DoomSladeVin+v1.01.wad
+ map1: some extra textures and fixed pool of death and switch some items
+ map2: sorry but for this map i was testing copy and past :p, if added a small area [maybe with some extra enemies.. :)] and some deco stuff (not alot), changed exit texture
+ map3: fixed pool of death and added a new SECRET :)
+ map4: added a few textures
+ map5: fixed blood and added a secret area if forgetten
+ map6: fixed pool of death and added more monsters! :)

Download 1.0:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2a1jgm4jy7xsru/DoomSladeVin_v1.wad

Enjoy!

I recommend providing the following information if you want people to download your WAD:

• Which Doom source port it's for; please don't assume, as you effectively have done, that everyone (a) has ZDoom/QZDoom/GZDoom installed and (b) uses it as their first-choice Doom engine.
  • How many levels it contains.
  • Whether it contains anything other than new levels.
  • Some screenshots of bits of your level(s) that you're particularly pleased with.
Moving onto the levels themselves, I have some texture commentary (QZDoom is weirdly juddery on my system and GZDoom's visuals feel wrong to me, so I haven't played them through properly, just browsed through them in a map editor):
  • The northern part of MAP01 gives the impression you got bored halfway through texturing your level, because STONE2 (a) isn't a particularly exciting wall texture (b) is the default wall texture in SLADE's map editor.
  • The blood pools in MAP04 look kind of goofy, because you've used the BFALL* wall textures on the floor instead of using the BLOOD* flats.

I played this wad. Generally found it to be decent (for a first-time newbie mapper). Texture misalignments here and there, particularly on 'doortraks' and some pillars/corners.

Don't fall into the nukage on map 1 without getting the red key first; there's no way back up.

Gameplay was decent overall (got better in the later maps), but I felt the best map was the last one. I look forward to future maps from the OP.

Those screenshots are interesting. Unconventional texture use, but in a way that actually looks quite appealing.

Doomkid said:

Those screenshots are interesting. Unconventional texture use, but in a way that actually looks quite appealing.

It's definitely something the mapper has going for them in this wad, although I can't tell if he was experimenting with textures or intentionally going for a slightly unconventional style when playing.

I used the textures i liked, but ill keep the non-moving blood in my mind.

edit:

Used your feedback in my new map

For the Texture misalignments, silly question maybe but how to auto align? Since i don't have a numpad on mac and use slade.

Suitepee said:

Don't fall into the nukage on map 1 without getting the red key first; there's no way back up.

Disliked or liked? :)

vincent0s said:

Disliked or liked? :)

????

I didn't like that there wasn't a way back up from the map 1 nukage if you didn't have the red key.

If you mean if I liked/disliked the entire wad, I hope you've checked your Doomworld PM's.

Well having played the first 3 levels I have some feedback for you. This seems to be less of a problem as you went along, but it's important to direct the player where you want them to go. You can't assume they will do exactly what you expect or want. When I first booted up Map01, I ran straight into the slime pit without even noticing your door on the left. I did this a couple of times as I tried to reach the door down in the pit. And then I had the problem of picking up the rad suit immediately since the level design was directing me toward it. I wound up using up the entire suit time limit in the surrounding rooms. Besides these problems of direction, the map isn't bad. You didn't texture the door track or unpeg it though. Almost forgot that one.

I love the self confidence you had in naming the second level "Getting Better". That said, I found the second map to be less entertaining than the first one. The walls are incredibly bland in the maze portion. If you're going to use a repetitive texture, you might want to use one that's more interesting. The best part of the level was the Cacodemon room. The encounter was predictable, but that can work well in making the player feel accomplished for learning the rules of the game. It also was much nicer to look at. I also didn't know what triggered the exit. It just sort of happened.

Third map marked a major improvement over both previous maps. Better architecture, better enemy placement, pretty much everything about it. I particularly liked the platform Imps that raised up to ambush you. That was pretty clever. Also the pickups stored in little alcoves of the brick walls. I opted not to replay it after I was killed by the Revenants, but only because I regretted not saving.

I will play the remainder of the maps later, I am quite tired and should have gone to bed a long time ago lol.

Kinda cool but if you fall into a pit you can't get out, stopped playing when i fallen into one because I didn't save at all lol

There's some good potential in here. A few cool ideas.

One thing I want to critique is texture usage. It'd be good to have a little more variety in texture use and making rooms look a little different from each other. I'd personally use more textures that contrast in color to make things a little more visually interesting, rather than it being mostly monochrome. But that's just me. Texturing is something you learn over time and you'll develop your own unique style as you make more maps.