Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jaska

Corrupting textures

Why are my textures corrupting? From GZDoombuilder:

I game they look the same(corrupted). When I look resources on Slade they look ok??

Slade:

esselfortium said:

Convert them to Doom Flat format instead of Doom Graphic format, and they should work.

Thanks! That worked.

Another problem appeared.. I converted other graphics to flats but this is what happened:

After conversion:

Two textures were converted ok, but others are now "unknown". Some of those work ok in editor and some are displayed as the texture is missing. In game (GZDoom) they work normally. PRBoom+ won't show them.

They are within FF_ markers correct? If so, try saving the WAD and then closing it and re-opening it. Sometimes SLADE (for me) will show something like a texture suddenly being treated as a sprite, and reopening the WAD will fix that.

Jaska said:

Two textures were converted ok, but others are now "unknown".

I am familiar with this problem and it's really just SLADE3's user interface. The graphics are perfectly OK, SLADE3 just no longer identifies them as flats, until you close and reopen the wad.

Jaska said:

In game (GZDoom) they work normally. PRBoom+ won't show them.

1. Make sure they're properly between the flat markers in the wad.
2. Make sure you don't use flats on walls in your maps, only on floors and ceilings.

Nevander said:

They are within FF_ markers correct? If so, try saving the WAD and then closing it and re-opening it. Sometimes SLADE (for me) will show something like a texture suddenly being treated as a sprite, and reopening the WAD will fix that.

Strange. Those some flats were on texture side, not between ff_- markers. I didn't notice that while I just used the search. Thanks!

Hmph.. Another problem. Gray textures have became seen through:

This occurs on Slade also. I took these wrom CCTEX4. Problem is there too.

Inside that shop is that texture:

Not seen through.. I can't understand.

Jaska said:

Hmph.. Another problem. Gray textures have became seen through:

http://i.imgur.com/w44TPzz.jpg

This occurs on Slade also. I took these wrom CCTEX4. Problem is there too.

That's normal. Look at their data size, and compare, say, GRAY_N61, N62, N63, N64, and N65.

All these textures are 128x128. The Doom picture format is uncompressed, every pixel is described by a byte. The last three textures (63, 64, 64) are all without any transparent pixel, and they all have the exact same size: 17544 bytes. Of those, you have 128*128=16384 bytes of pixel data, 8 bytes for the header, and 9 bytes of overhead by column (4 bytes for the column's offset, start position and length of first post (respectively 0 and 128), two dummy bytes without purpose, and a byte with value 255 to mark the end of the column instead of the beginning of another post).

You can check that on a calculator if you want: 8 + 128*(9+128) = 17544. A Doom-format image of size 128x128 without any transparent pixel cannot be smaller than that. (It can be larger if you split the column in several posts, though. Theoretically it can be infinitely large as nothing prevents you from drawing over and over on the same column; just add more posts with an identical starting position.)

Now let's go back to the first two: GRAY_N61 and GRAY_N62. They're smaller. 11208 and 11928 bytes. But they're still 128x128 pictures? How can this mystery be resolved????

Simple. They have holes. Each pixel that isn't part of a column is empty and therefore transparent. You'll notice that N62 is slightly larger than N61, and that's because if you look at the pictures, N62 has less transparent pixels than N61.

TL;DR: it's completely normal, and intended, these pictures are transparent, and it's not a bug or a corruption.

Amazing screenshots! I'll be looking forward to this one.